PDA

View Full Version : Three Gish Builds for Comparison (A Battle of the Class Features!)

Maerok
2007-06-26, 03:03 PM
Using Complete Mage...

The Fancy Spell-Channeler
Fighter 1 [Armored Mage: Battle Sorceror]
Battle Sorceror 4
Spellsword 10
Abjurant Champion 5

BAB 1+3+10+5=19 (AC level 5 makes this the CL)
CL 0+4+5+5=14 (-> 19)

Spells/Level: 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 2
Spells Known/Level: 8 4 4 3 3 2 1 0*

---------------------------------------------------

The In-Your-Face Sword and Spell Guy (My Favorite Gish Build to Date)
Fighter 1 [Armored Mage: Battle Sorceror]
Battle Sorceror 6
Eldritch Knight 8
Abjurant Champion 5

BAB 1+4+8+5=18 (AC level 5 makes this the CL)
CL 0+6+7+5=18

Spells/Level: 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 2
Spells Known/Level: 8 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 1 0*

*=High Charisma will boost this?

I prefer the second build, though it does have less BAB and CL (by one) and can't do that nifty spell channeling. I've made up quite a few builds between a variety of classes and I think these two were the best (greatest SL/CL/BAB). With the second one, you've got the BAB and spells (with a little decline through Battle Sorc) of an 18th level Fighter and an 18th level Sorceror (well maybe a 17th level Sorceror due to the -1 spell per spell level), with two fighter bonus feats to kick around.

A third build (more combat-present caster than actual gish) was Fighter 2/Battle Sorceror 4/Abjurant Champion 4/Fiend-Blooded 10 to take advantage of the half-fiend bonuses and additional spells of the FB PrC (HoH) as well as my preference to take 2 or 4 Fighter levels in a build for the feats. This would have BAB 14 and CL 17, but gains the listed benefits from just above (2 bonus fighter feats; pretty much +1 or +2 to all stats; extra spells known). Stylistically this is maybe my favorite build in flavor, versus the other's good CL/BAB.

It'd be nice to get to add Cha to BAB and I think I've heard of such a class feature but I can't find it.

Feats that would be needed/useful to the gish:
Somatic Weaponry
Retributive Spell [Metamagic]
Blade of Force [Reserve]
Combat Casting
Battlecaster Defense [Tactic]
Battlecaster Offense [Tactic]
Magic Distruption [Reserve] (fits the Abjuration Champion vibe)
Eschew Materials