PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shadar-Kai Race (PEACH)

Ralcos
2016-05-19, 03:50 PM
Shadar-Kai

http://www.critical-hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/shadarkai_illo.jpg

RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity Score increases by 2.
Age. Shadar-Kai are descendants of ancient Humans who have lived in the Plane of Shadow, and thus are infused with pseudo-long life. They become adults around 14 years of age, and can live upwards to 200 years.
Alignment. Shadar-Kai prefer neutral alignments, seeming detached from most outlooks in life (at least, when compared to other races).
Size. Shadar-Kai are slightly smaller than Humans, but are otherwise the same in height, build, and weight as their Material Plane cousins. You are considered to be Medium-Sized.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Accustomed to life in the Shadow Plane, Shadar-Kai have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you ass if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern color in darkness, only in shades of grey.
Shadar-Kai Combat Proficiency. You are proficient in the Spiked Chain.
Natural Agility. Shadar-Kai have an agility that most deem “impossible”. You have Proficiency in the Acrobatics skill.
Shadowkin. Being born of the Shadow Plane, the Shadar-Kai have been born with a resistance to the energies of death itself. You have Resistance to Necrotic damage.
Languages. You begin knowing, understanding, and literate in the Common and Undercommon languages.
Clans of the Shadow. Being Humans originally, the Shadar-Kai are separated into clans or tribes that follow different ideals and philosophies. Choose one of these clans.

The Shadowed Eye.
This clan is a following of the shadows themselves, teaching their children how to use the shadowy energies inherent within themselves.
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence Score increases by 1.
Magic of Shadow. You begin knowing the Minor Illusion cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Fog Cloud spell once per day. Finally, when you reach 5th level, you can cast the Invisibility spell once per day. Intelligence is your casting ability for these spells.

The Chained Snake
This clan follows the teachings of a prophet who saw the snake as a holy symbol of his people. They predominantly focus on combat and excel in the use of their patented spiked chains.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution Score increases by 1.
Shadowy Infusion. Whenever you roll damage for a melee attack, you can deal Necrotic damage instead of the original damage type.

The Flowing Shadow
While many Humans believe that crossing a black cat causes bad luck, this clan of Shadar-Kai idolize the mysterious nature and simple poise of the black cat.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom Score increases by 1.
Hidden Presence. You have Proficiency in the Stealth skill.
Swift. Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.

The Darkest Night
This clan idolizes the void itself, seeing the space between the stars as the empowering shadows that hold the multiverses together.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma Score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. Your Darkvision increases to 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive in direct sunlight.
Claws. You begin with a natural Claw attack. This is considered to be a melee attack that has the Light and Finesse properties, cannot be disarmed normally, and deals 1d6 + Strength Modifier Slashing damage on a hit. When you make an attack roll with your claws, you may use a Bonus Action to make a second claw attack.
Natural Toughness. You gain 1 extra hit point at 1st level, and 1 point for every level beyond 1st.

Spiked Chain
Martial Weapon
A long chain, spiked and weighted for use as a weapon.
Cost: 25 gp
Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Weight: 10 lbs.
Properties: Finesse, Two-Handed, Reach
NOTE: Can only be learned with the Weapon Master feat, unless specified by race or other features.

Hopefully, you guys like this race. I was bored, and decided to build this. It's been a while, but I homebrew once more.

Rerem115
2016-05-19, 05:12 PM
Seems relatively balanced; it's got a lot of abilities, but none really stand out as "game breaking", except for adding proficiency to damage for spiked chain. That's more consistent damage than most class features, and as a racial ability it's just too powerful. I would keep the proficiency, but drop adding proficiency to damage.

Also, I think that Shadow Jaunt should be limited to x uses per long rest, using the Eladrin Misty Step as a template; unlimited teleportation at level one is really strong. Actually, using the Eladrin as a template, I would almost recommend Shadow Jaunt being limited to a subrace with that as its central feature; " this ability is potent enough that the subrace doesn’t need additional traits" (WotC, 2014).

Ralcos
2016-05-19, 05:15 PM
Seems relatively balanced; it's got a lot of abilities, but none really stand out as "game breaking", except for adding proficiency to damage for spiked chain. That's more consistent damage than most class features, and as a racial ability it's just too powerful. I would keep the proficiency, but drop adding proficiency to damage.

Also, I think that Shadow Jaunt should be limited to x uses per long rest, using the Eladrin Misty Step as a template; unlimited teleportation at level one is really strong. Actually, using the Eladrin as a template, I would almost recommend Shadow Jaunt being limited to a subrace with that as its central feature; " this ability is potent enough that the subrace doesn’t need additional traits" (WotC, 2014).

Edited. There was already a limit of 3 uses for Shadow Jaunt, but it was lengthened to require a Long Rest to recharge

Venardhi
2016-05-19, 08:13 PM
My initial reaction is it is on the powerful side, and specifically oriented towards combat builds to boot. If that is how your game runs though I can't see anything gamebreaking, but some things may need play-testing to see how they synergize.

Foxhound438
2016-05-22, 01:30 AM
you're trying to give too much here, imo...

Damage resistance, darkvision, a teleport, and subrace benefits which can include spells...

Honestly, have teleport or have the other things.

Ralcos
2016-05-23, 04:37 PM
you're trying to give too much here, imo...

Damage resistance, darkvision, a teleport, and subrace benefits which can include spells...

Honestly, have teleport or have the other things.

Edited to fit suggestions

Final Hyena
2016-05-23, 05:26 PM
As much as I miss teleport I think the changes have made the race more balanced, although I would say the chained snake is the least appealing. Would making Shadow Infusion no action be an option?

Ralcos
2016-05-23, 08:40 PM
As much as I miss teleport I think the changes have made the race more balanced, although I would say the chained snake is the least appealing. Would making Shadow Infusion no action be an option?

Edited, Shadow Infusion requires no action.

JBPuffin
2016-05-23, 09:30 PM
Spiked chain would have to be martial - there is no exotic any more.

Ralcos
2016-05-23, 10:31 PM
Spiked chain would have to be martial - there is no exotic any more.

Edited. Spiked Chain is now a Martial Weapon.

ImSAMazing
2016-05-24, 04:54 AM
So a Fighter can now Finesse Reach with a d8 damage die? That's a boost to Dexterity-based martials. Maybe make it only obtainable by the feat Weapon master(thereby boosting that feat), and give it as a racial proficiency?

Ralcos
2016-05-24, 02:45 PM
So a Fighter can now Finesse Reach with a d8 damage die? That's a boost to Dexterity-based martials. Maybe make it only obtainable by the feat Weapon master(thereby boosting that feat), and give it as a racial proficiency?

Edited based on suggestions.
How's this?