PDA

View Full Version : {Exalted 3} Shadowed Sands [IC]

BestMarkovBotNA
2016-05-19, 08:37 PM
The is all but gone as another day ends in Creation. The caravan you all are part of has stopped for the evening. Decades ago, this behavior would have been regarded as foolish - in the overbearing heat of the South, night is by and large the best time for travel. However, the shadowlands that have sprouted around the Gem-Dajaz-Lock legion have made such travel difficult - the distinction between Creation and Shadowland is difficult in the blasted terrain of the sand dunes and badlands, and the walking dead have developed...peculiar tactics for catching their prey. Caravans travel around dusk and dawn, sleeping during the day and on vigilant watch at night. Exorcists are regularly contracted along with mercenary companies, and no caravan travels to the region without a sufficient quantity of salt to encircle caravans.

Your caravan is a comparably short one. It will take you about three weeks traveling to Gem from the oasis trading town of Al'ajid, some 1400 odd miles south-south-west of The Lap. This caravan carries salted meat and fish, pickled vegetables from the Lap, and other foodstuffs and trade goods in demand in Gem. At 10 yeddim-drawn wagons, it is neither large nor small. Including the contracted mercenary company, the White Dragons, the caravan is made up of roughly one hundred individuals. The Caravan itself is directed by the greying Merchant-Overseer Adil K'bahk, a fair but stern man who is as concerned with profit as he is with protocol. The Dragons, fifty-strong including support personnel, are led by steely-eyed Captain Resk, a middle-aged man who seems to fit your stereotypical definition of a career soldier with little patience.

The caravan has made camp near a rocky outcropping that appears to offer some shelter from the element, and is lively as preparations are made for the night. Three exorcists direct a small coterie of support personnel from the Dragons are setting up the salt circle. Servants and slaves are setting up tents for their patrons, while several groups of merchants sit around in circles exchanging tales and conversation over wine. An officer of the Dragons is making rounds as she does daily, offering temporary contracts to the Dragons for assisting with guard duty.

Night's comin', tell me what each of you are doing.

Exthalion
2016-05-20, 01:10 AM
One of the wagons carried the same preserved foods and jars of water as the others yet such was not its cargo. Rather it carried a man who had received the envoys of kings and broken bread with gods. Its cargo was but a token, of the overflowing bounty of the Land of Carven Rivers which stood poised to wash away such caravans as these as the wind and sand covered the bodies of the dead. This was the wagon in the use of Acaryanandana, Son of the Teacher.

It would have surprised those who knew of him to see him there, alone and in such poor conditions. He could have purchased everything and everyone here a ten, a hundred, a thousand times over! Yet it would not do to enter Gem in such circumstances for the subtle move he had planned. So long as his mission remained quiet, known only to a trusted few, both his land and the Despot stood poised to reap great wealth from the sudden shift. So he traveled, under the guise of an overseer of wells and foreman of mines going to the city where such were valued above their weight in water.

He wore armor, which is what lone travelers in the middle of the haunted desert did, and bore weapons, which they did even more frequently. This close to Fire the nights were not unpleasantly cold, but he still wore a heavy cloak, which had saved his life from storms and pursuit a dozen times each.

As he did every night he made rounds of the caravan mending minor cracks in wheels and axles before they became major problems. By his rough estimate he had not only undone the damage of this trip but extended the lifetime of the wagons by years. It was something to do, and he took his time doing it, knowing better than to draw attention to himself. Tonight the worst problem was far less serious but by no means trivial.

"Tell ya' effendi," the driver said as Acaryanandana lay on his back under a wagon examining the suspension, "another hour and I'd a had to get off and walked. Never known an arse could get so sore, and the first time I rode a horse it was for a day and a half!"

"I brings me pleasure to inform you then that the repair is easy to perform. If you can find a winch or a number of strong lads so as to take the weight off the left side I can do all that is necessary with the tools I have with me."

Mono Vertigo
2016-05-20, 03:52 AM
Among the yeddims, there's an animal that looks positively diminutive standing next to them: a donkey. Its owner, a large woman with one of the local habits of a priestess, scratches it between the ears and gives it a carrot before getting her own meal.
It consists of a hard loaf of bread, a chewy piece of salty rubber that used to be meat, and some nuts. And then, there's wine, which may have otherwise been considered a drink, but is actually the most important part of this lunch.
Still drinking long after she's eaten everything else, she joins the exorcists, trying to lend them a hand. Marjan watches in the distance while setting up salt blocks, squinting. Using the corner of her cape, she wipes the sweat under her silver brow.

While I'm at it, using Spirit-Detecting Glance, spending 3 motes.

Q'telun
2016-05-20, 11:08 AM
Chirio sits with the merchants, enjoying his evening tea before the long night watch. When the good Captain comes around he takes the contract just like every night, and just like every other night he will decline the pay.

But for now, the old man lets his swords rest in their scabbards nearby, and simply listens to the merchants swap tales of their deeds and failures, occasionally adding his own story about interesting customers or clashes with rival teahouses.

Recaiden
2016-05-21, 04:10 PM
First, there are tents to set up. One, two, three, four. Calima is not above helping to clear away rocks and tie fly cords to painstakingly hammered stakes with the rest of the company. And there's something satisfying about getting the ropes and poles just right yourself. A glance at the salt circle around them all. What if it were to break...
Foolishness. Now, one of his men will have seen to the simhata and checked over the cargo. Now only does he go join the nearest circle of merchants to listen to their tales. The day has gone from too warm to too cold, and the fire is more welcome than the company.

Sith_Happens
2016-05-24, 03:07 PM
Kalim Malik (or Swallow's Flight, should anyone deign to ask the man his name) sits somewhat apart from the other caravan guests, silently sharpening a knife. While he wouldn't normally travel as far as Al'ajid, the Shadows of Cinere had been asked to eliminate the leader of a particularly persistent gem-smuggling ring and the price offered was simply too high to refuse. Then, the morning after the job was done, the most peculiar rumor had reached him: that none other than Acaryanandana would soon set out for Gem as part of a small, unassuming caravan. Seeing as Kalim had made a point to keep a close eye on the Land of Carven Rivers since its unification a few years ago, such a rumor could not go uninvestigated, even if it meant delaying his return home by a week or more.

If asked to help with any menial tasks Kalim will do so, though besides that he keeps to himself and discreetly listens for any pertinent conversations coming from the wagon that he suspects to be the Making Lord's. Thanks to his incredibly keen ears, he can do this from far enough away to avoid suspicion.

I'll save my Perception + Awareness roll for if I'm told that there's actually anything to eavesdrop on right now.

BestMarkovBotNA
2016-05-28, 01:08 PM
Acaryanandana

The old man man nods in response to Acaryanandana's suggestion and whistles, to which a young man hurries over.

"Anas, go quickly and gather a few other lads," the old man barks. "The effendi needs your help with our wagon."

The young man quickly scampers off, returning in a few minutes with five others. They quickly position themselves at key places along the left side of the wagon, awaiting Acaryanandana's signal to lift.

As Acaryanandana positions himself beneath the wagon, he notices another apparent crack. In addition slight crack in its front left wheel, as there is a slight crack that goes along the circumference of the front axle shaft - fairly close to the damaged wheel, around two-thirds of the axle length between the wheel and the median of the wagon's width.

Your previous craft roll works, you gain 6 Silver XP - your repairs fulfill bullet points 1 and 3 pretty clearly.

Roll Wits + Craft for something that you'll find out about if you do well enough
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Marjan

With Marjan's assistance, the construction of the salt circle speeds to conclusion fairly quickly. As the Dawn scans the sands with her spirit-sight active, she notices a vibrant, blooming environment. The sands luminesce faintly with light, with the tiny spirit in each grain of sand contributing to the glowing sea before her. As a soft breeze passes her by, she notices the dancing wind elementals in the skies above. All appears ordinary, as far as Marjan can tell.

"Marjan dear," the old exorcist woman calls out to the Dawn. "Will you come and have a cup of tea with me around the fire? Let us go and listen to the merchants boast."

Even 1 success on that Perception + Awareness roll would have gotten you something. Sorry Mono.
Chirio and Calima

Chirio and Calima find themselves arriving to the same circle around a fire at the same timer The merchants around the fire are engaged in an exchange of tales of caravans past, of mercantile successes and failures, and of current events:

One merchant describes his time on a 50-cart caravan on year in the past, during which a third of the wagons suffered broken axles no more than 200 miles from Gem. They were harried by undead pacing around the western edge of their makeshift encampment for nearly two weeks until assistance arrived from Gem.

Another regales his recent successes and failures in the salt trade, which has been incredibly strong in and going to the Gem/Dajaz/Lock triad for the better half of the last decade. Several other merchants add their own accounts, both in the salt trade and others as well.

A old merchant known for exaggeration describes a fantastic three-way battle between the Fae, a lost mercenary company led by the legendary soldier known as The Dragon, and a horde of walking dead led by a monstrous behemoth of a man. He does not mention when this occurred, though those familiar with lore bandied about Gem know that The Dragon's company disappeared 11 months ago.

Three merchants bring up recent politics in Gem. Apparently, Rankar VII is being pressured to select a successor. Rankar is in his late 50's and approaching older age, but still appears spry and denounces the pressure to step down. The Realm has recently stepped up on its diplomatic efforts in the region, and has yet to pick sides. The opinions of the powers that be of Lock and Dajaz are notably silent.

Lock's troubles with food and water continue as its rate of receipt for caravan teams drops to dismal levels. One merchant brings this up, but the discussion quickly falls off - lost caravans are bad for business, and this issue appears to be a touchy subject in this particular group of merchants.

This sub-post is formatted differently from the other two, as you might notice. Rather than write out a bunch of dialogue that you might or might not care about, I decided to take a different route. The first of you two to post will decide on the first subject for discussion. The second to post must add to that subject, but then will bring up a new subject. My response to the two of you will contain dialogue from the merchants regarding those two topics. Depending on how this scene proceeds, you may or may not have the option to explore further topics.

Additionally, I do not know whether or not Chirio and Calima know one another. You have both been on this caravan for a week now, so its possible that you may or may not have met. You may be on a name-by-name basis, you may simply recognize one another as "that old man with swords" and "that strange guy with the simhata," or you may have not paid attention to one another at all. Decide in the OOC thread if you want to be a name-by-name basis or closer - if you don't want to do that, then decide individually if you recognize the other character or not.
Kalim

Kalim is mostly ignored as the camp bustles about with evening preparations. There are a handful of individuals who, similarly, keep to themselves, and are ignored aside from the occasional greeting in the form of a word or nod. As he passes through a passageway between tents, he notices the laughter of young men to this left. Abruptly, it stops as another young man bursts into the tent.

"The effendi who goes around making wagon repairs needs our help on Old Naji's cart. Come quick!"

The other men quickly scurry out of the tent, and go off in a hurry. Kalim knows that the Son of the Teacher is a master engineer, and this may be a possible lead.

Perception or Wits + Awareness first, to track which direction the young men ran off in - difficulty 1.

You have several options in following the group of 'yutes':

Physically chase - make a Dexterity or Stamina + Athletics roll three times. The young men are clipping along, and Kalim needs to follow them. This will be an opposed check - I will make their rolls in the OOC after you've made yours. You need to beat two of their rolls to follow them. If you fail, you will need to follow their path in other ways.

Ask others - ask some random folks in the camp along the direction they went what direction they saw the young men go. Or, ask where you can find Old Naji's cart.

Something else - be creative and do whatever you want. Give me the relevant associated rolls, I'll let you know if you need to make any more and if you succeed.

Exthalion
2016-05-28, 11:57 PM
"You were lucky," the brazen skinned man said as he got to work readying resins and cords for binding, "if the suspension had not failed as it did I might not have noticed the other signs of stress. Tell me, what is the usual procedure for keeping the wagons in repair?" It was mostly mindless conversation, but you never knew what you might learn. As he noticed youths he considered for a moment. "Is the weight very great? We might consider piling sand to prop it up if the boys here would have to strain themselves. No sense leaving them worn out if they should be needed."

Wits 3 + Craft 5
[roll0]

6 successes

Mono Vertigo
2016-05-29, 07:06 AM
Sensing spirits is something she always could do, as far as Marjan could remember, with variable degrees of clarity. One of the few perks provided by her divine heritage. It's easier noticing them, now she'd been bestowed another blessing, though it now requires conscious effort. At any rate, the sight of elementals going about their business is as nice today as it was when she was a child.
She takes another gulp of wine and wipes her mouth before joining the old exorcist. "If they're on with that stupid story about the smith's grandson again, I swear, I will have to smack them", she mumbles, half-joking; it's a tale that likely started being told before she was born and that's kept evolving ever since with a hideous amount of irrelevant or weird details added with every narration. "The original smith's grandson's gotta have grandkids of his own by now."
Still, she sits quietly and gets herself some tea. They do have funny or interesting stories sometimes.

Q'telun
2016-05-30, 05:25 PM
Chirio nods politely to the two women, and smiles welcomingly at the old exorcist. "Good evening, ladies. You've joined us just as we were beginning to discuss the troubles plaguing Gem. Would you care for some tea while we old fools talk in circles for a while longer?"

Recaiden
2016-05-30, 11:44 PM
"-and I think he's doing the right thing not naming any one successor. People trying to prove themselves will do right by the city."

Calima waves a nearly empty cup for general emphasis, and shoots a glance at Chirio, deprecating the conversation as he is (though not wrongly).

"Dajaz is surely backing, oh, what's the name, the nobles with the dreamstone, even if nobody's saying it." An insight, or just complete political obliviousness?

"But so long as the new Despot keeps the water trade going like it is, e'll be okay in my book. Sort of reminds you of the troubles across the ocean, doesn't it?"

Sith_Happens
2016-05-31, 05:56 PM
Chirio and Calima

[Snip]

Though Kalim keeps one ear trained on the suspected Making Lord's cart, his other ear's attentions are directed toward the conversations of the merchants; a valuable source of potential information, especially for a man whose job is partly to know the goings-on in the region.

Per+Awa rolled in the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20840686&postcount=42) (second roll); I'm assuming that 7 successes means Kalim hears everything perfectly. Please make sure to mention whether the bit about Rankar is something he knows already.

Kalim

Kalim is mostly ignored as the camp bustles about with evening preparations. There are a handful of individuals who, similarly, keep to themselves, and are ignored aside from the occasional greeting in the form of a word or nod. As he passes through a passageway between tents, he notices the laughter of young men to this left. Abruptly, it stops as another young man bursts into the tent.

"The effendi who goes around making wagon repairs needs our help on Old Naji's cart. Come quick!"

The other men quickly scurry out of the tent, and go off in a hurry. Kalim knows that the Son of the Teacher is a master engineer, and this may be a possible lead.

Perception or Wits + Awareness first, to track which direction the young men ran off in - difficulty 1.

You have several options in following the group of 'yutes':

Physically chase - make a Dexterity or Stamina + Athletics roll three times. The young men are clipping along, and Kalim needs to follow them. This will be an opposed check - I will make their rolls in the OOC after you've made yours. You need to beat two of their rolls to follow them. If you fail, you will need to follow their path in other ways.

Ask others - ask some random folks in the camp along the direction they went what direction they saw the young men go. Or, ask where you can find Old Naji's cart.

Something else - be creative and do whatever you want. Give me the relevant associated rolls, I'll let you know if you need to make any more and if you succeed.

Passed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20840686&postcount=42) the Awareness check (first roll).
Keeping an eye on his new lead is a trivial matter; following at a fast walk so as to keep line of sight to the running men, Kalim easily tracks them to their destination even as their lead on him gradually increases. As he does so he wraps himself in a subtle veil of Essence, such that to all onlookers his spontaneous decision to leave his resting place and cross the camp is barely even worth acknowledging. Upon catching up with them at Old Naji's cart, he joins them in their efforts there without a word.

Leveraging my three extra successes on the Perception + Awareness roll to say that Kalim can keep sight of the men even at a considerable distance, as long as he doesn't let anything directly block his view for too long.

Dexterity + Athletics + Stunt to go just fast enough to keep them in line of sight as described above, with 1m of Excellency just to be on the safe side: [roll0]

Activating Spurious Presence from peripheral, muted via anima power.

EDIT: Just remembered you wanted three Athletics rolls, which probably still applies even if I've messed slightly with what I'm trying to accomplish with them. Rolls 2 and 3 rolled here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20840824&postcount=43).

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-01, 10:01 AM
"Of course!"
Tea, Marjan finds, prevents hangovers just great.
"I've been told many stories about Gem. So. Which ones of them are actually true?" The priestess raises her head points at the fire, the center of the group, with her chin. "Figure you merchant folks might be more into trading than freely sharing, so I've got a few fun ones of my own. I've met my fair share of interesting folks."

Q'telun
2016-06-02, 02:08 PM
Chirio busies himself with making another two cups of tea, pouring the exact amount of leaves and heating the water to the correct temperature with confidence built from a lifetime of tea brewing. When it is done, he hands the steaming cups to the two women.

"Gem is a city, just like many others. I'm sure the stories you have heard are mostly correct, but sprinkled with a smattering of exaggerations."

He turns to Calima, "I think in times such as these appointing a successor is of the utmost importance. Knowing that there is someone in line to take over as Despot who will be able to lead the city will allay fears of the shadowlands. And the Despot might appreciate having the Realm off of his back, don't you think?"

Wits+Crafts (Cooking) [roll0]

Stunt: [roll1]

BestMarkovBotNA
2016-06-02, 11:57 PM
Acaryanandana and Kalim

Around the same time the group of youths arrive at Old Man Naji's cart, another man appears alongside them and assists in the lifting of the vehicle. As Acaryanandana works to mend the cracking wheel and axle, he considers the damage to the latter. Without much thought, it's clear that he has seen this crack on other wagons in the caravan. Same position, but varying between the front and rear axles. The pattern of strain on each axle is so consistent that it appears almost intentional, but Acaryanandana sees no other evidence to indicate tampering. The repairs otherwise proceed quickly and without issue. As Acaryanandana comes up from the underside of the wagon, Naji offers him hand up.

"Bless you, effendi!" he says, beaming with graciousness. "I do not know what I'd do without you, your skill is without peer! Come, you must join us for dinner. We eat in two hours at my tent. Mubin, go get the salted goat and start the fire."

The young man who brought the others to assist responds in deference and leaves, almost as quickly as he arrived. His young friends stand around awkwardly for a moment, unsure whether to follow their friend or go elsewhere. They soon scatter off in individual patterns, some returning the way they way the came from, others going off in other directions.

"And you, jedar*," Naji addresses Kalim as he turns to the Iron Wolf, offering his hand in greeting. "I did not know Mubin had friends your age, but thank you for your help. He could use good role models like you, so please, join us for dinner as well. I am Naji - with whom do I have the honor of meeting?"

If Acaryanandana would consider Kalim's presence to be "off" from what he was expecting for help, make a read intentions action with a -1 dice penalty against Kalim's Guile +2, comes out to be 6. (as his sheet shows that his base Guile is 4 and Spurious Presence gives +2 against read intentions checks. Unless something else that I missed changes Kalim's Guile with your use of that Charm, Sith?).

Also Sith - two things. First, Kalim is able to hear most of the conversation. Despite the great roll, due to the distance some words, as well as the tone of individual voices, are muddled. He can make out the general gist of what is being said and infer specifics of the conversation from that, but he does not know who is saying what without names being mentioned (only the names of two merchants have been mentioned by the merchants themselves, and the PC dialogue so far does not specify). To grasp further details, hearing-focused Awareness Charms are necessary.

Second, I am operating under the assumption that Spurious Presence does not make people ignore your presence, but merely makes them accept it as natural and unquestionable without reason. For that, I figured that Naji would notice him after the others left, but treat him all the same, if not a little better. I am planning on posting the below dialogue for Naji addressing Kalim - please take a look at it and let me know if this fits or doesn't fit how Spurious Presence is supposed to work.

If this interpretation is incorrect, I'll add it in to the bottom of this post section. However, I have not updated this post with how Naji. And so it is. Added.
------------------------
Chirio, Calima, and Marjan

The old exorcist woman nods when offered tea by Chirio, silently awaiting the cup while listening to the conversation unfold regarding the issue of the Despot's successor.

"I agree, jedar," a toothless older merchant clad in silver - the one who described the fantastic story of the White Dragons - responds to Calima's first statement. "I have seen five Despots in my life, and only two truly seemed to improve Gem - Rankar VII being one. He is wise to ignore boasting and judge actions, he need not rush."

Two other merchants nod in silent agreement, while a few others audibly guffaw. One of the guffawers pipes up as Calima mentions Dajaz, responding after the water trade.

"If you speak of the Realm, yes, it reminds me." the merchant responding is middle aged, with a thick black beard and eyebrows, but a balding head. His nostrils flare, and he remains surly. "But I care little about the Realm - the Despot aggravating the Guild is far more of a problem than a self-serving island of Exalted who cannot bear armies across the great deserts. The Guild could enrich us ten times further, but the Despot continues to fight them at every turn. House Fajaz, who have cornered the market on dreamstones, are much more willing to trade with the Guild. I am not certain Dajaz supports the son of their daughter and the despot's blood, though - a friend in the water market who frequents Dajaz-bound caravans believes the majority of nobles support Dajaz, but young Qusay here disagrees with him."

"Yes, Rajab, I disagree. I have followed those same caravans and have broken bread with several Dajazi nobles," the younger Qusay replies, a smug grin across his clean-shaven face. "Dajaz is split - many support the Fajazi heir, but just as many support support heirs amongst Rankar's concubines or other houses. The consensus is no consensus, and the Dajazi, while indulgent, are as patient in politics as the despot himself."

Chirio interrupts the discussion to hand a phenomenally well-made tea to Marjan and the old exorcist woman. The heavenly scent of of perfectly-steeped leaves fills the area around the campfire, and several merchants subtly attempt to wipe drool from their faces. The old woman calmly takes sip. As she places the cup back on its coaster, her eyes narrow at Chirio.

"As-sayyid, I do not praise often, but this tea is clearly well-crafted. In fact, I believe it is too good, and that you are clearly either a demon or a god. In all my decades, I have sipped many cups of tea, in the houses of nobility, the poor, tea merchants, even Exalted. I can remember not one that compares. Tonight, we will be dining in the house of Naji. You would honor us and our host if you would bring this tea and share it."

The merchants around the fire all nod in agreement, and the old woman takes another sip. The smallest of smiles grows on her lips.

Anyone drinking the tea gains 1 scene towards an Intimacy towards Chirio's tea. It's that damn good.

EDIT: *This is my attempt at the phonetic spelling of the arabic term 'gada3,' which means something along the lines of 'respectable young man.' Correct me if it's completely wrong.

Q'telun
2016-06-05, 02:11 PM
Chirio smiles and bows humbly to the old woman. "You have discovered my secret. In truth, I am one of the Anathema, on my way to Gem to drag all who live there to their doom with my tea."

He straightens back up, grinning widely as if at a joke. "But, I must sadly decline the honor, as I have agreed to take part in the night's watch."

Recaiden
2016-06-06, 12:05 AM
"So easy for 'many' to be exaggerated into 'most' and then the city entire."
How boring, if this lack of consensus is the sort to keep them inactive.
"Now I'm sure the guild could create great riches trading in Gem. For themselves."

The tea, an admission.

Calima starts off the laughter at his joke.

If memory doesn't fail, the tea is nice, but not demonically delicious. But she did hesitate just a moment before laughing. Chirio really is something, given what happened. Her eyes watch the teamaker for a good while after.

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-06, 02:35 PM
"That's the best damn tea I've had in I don't remember how many years, perhaps ever. And it's the damnedest shame I won't be able to take more with me."
Her father - the divine one - is the one who gave her a developed enough taste for tea to appreciate its nuances. Marjan pours herself another cup and internally debates whether to offer it to Karoka or keep it for herself.
"Don't you talk about Anathemas", she grumbles to Chirio, "Immaculates just might hear you somehow and come see for themselves, like the vultures they are. This journey was going perfectly decently without Immaculates to ruin it."

Exthalion
2016-06-07, 05:39 PM
Now that he was off his ground and could see people Acarya nodded in greeting to the stranger. "Dyokara, a humble mender of axles and recipient of excessive praise, at your service. I am afraid I am usually too busy seeing to my tools to enjoy an evening around the fire or else I am sure we would be better acquainted. Please accept my own thanks along with master Naji's. Sadly I cannot offer you a meal as it seems we both already have plans for one, but perhaps we might talk awhile until then?"

Q'telun
2016-06-11, 12:27 AM
"While the Immaculates may be heavy handed at times," Chirio's hands gather his cup of tea as he talks, and he takes a small sip, "I do think they do good things. If you have been hurt by their actions it becomes hard to remember that."

"As for the Guild, I agree with Miss..." He pauses, then turns to Calima. "I must apologize, I don't think I ever learned your name."

Sith_Happens
2016-06-17, 11:10 AM
"And you, jedar*," Naji addresses Kalim as he turns to the Iron Wolf, offering his hand in greeting. "I did not know Mubin had friends your age, but thank you for your help. He could use good role models like you, so please, join us for dinner as well. I am Naji - with whom do I have the honor of meeting?"

Kalim throws his hands up in (feigned) embarrassment.

"Ah, I'm sorry, it's not like that at all, I just happened to be nearby when the other men were called on to help. If you still wish me to dine with you though, it would be my honor. You can call me Swallow's Flight."

Now that he was off his ground and could see people Acarya nodded in greeting to the stranger.

"[...]but perhaps we might talk awhile until then?"

"I... suppose so. I should warn you, though, I've been told more than once that I'm a horrible conversation partner."

Recaiden
2016-06-17, 09:13 PM
"While the Immaculates may be heavy handed at times," Chirio's hands gather his cup of tea as he talks, and he takes a small sip, "I do think they do good things. If you have been hurt by their actions it becomes hard to remember that."

"As for the Guild, I agree with Miss..." He pauses, then turns to Calima. "I must apologize, I don't think I ever learned your name."

"'Calima', sir. Glad to meet you in person! I've been a fan of your work for a while."
Hand clasped over her heart in greeting, and then a glance to Marjan.

"Don't you worry about that. Winds won't carry our words all across the desert to be overheard."

BestMarkovBotNA
2016-06-25, 05:00 PM
Campfire

The old crone's eye's go wide for a moment before realizing Chirio's implied humor. She scoffs, sipping her tea while the others continue conversing for a bit.

"As-sayyid, young Marjan is correct. While your jest is enjoyed, be wary who you make such comments around. The eyes of the Realm are spread further than I like, and while its grasp is weakened its talons remain ever-sharp."

The other merchants nod in agreement, and an awkward silence fills the campfire before the old crone continues.

"Naji must be beginning to prepare his dinner. I believe it's time for these old bones to move towards where supper will be held. Those of you joining us, come, continue our chat in the presence of a good host."

With/Near Naji

"Swallow's Flight, I thank you again for your service," Naji responds with a nod. "Come, you and effendi must join me at my tent. We will sup on wine and bread and discuss these times while Mubin prepares the lamb."

Naji gestures for you both to follow and turns to enter his tent, a short 10 meters away.

Short response post, mostly just to keep things moving. Post what you're doing or don't, I'll post again on Monday assuming that you all go to Naji's tent unless you say otherwise (Chirio is exempt since he's already denied the invitation as he's on guard duty).

Exthalion
2016-06-27, 02:16 AM
"It is said that gold wrapped in straw is still gold. I pray you let me judge for myself if your partnership is fair or foul and not worry overmuch on what others have said."

He took a moment to carefully stow his tools, many of which he had made himself, and to give this stranger time to compose himself.

"I am afraid I did not catch your name or your reason for joining us on this trek through the desert. For my own part I was hoping to be of some service to Gem and to give a good accounting of my people so that, perhaps, the lord of that city will show favor to them. It is a heavy thing, to bear the burden of a people's future. I pray that I am worthy to bear it."

Sith_Happens
2016-06-27, 01:57 PM
"Oh, I'm sorry... As I said earlier, my name's Swallow's Flight, and as for what I'm doing here... Um, well, to be honest I'm not totally sure myself..."

Kalim grimaces and scratches the back of his head.

"...You see, my family's originally from Gem but I grew up in Chiaroscuro. And well, life there's been pretty unsatisfying so I thought I'd... go back to my roots, I guess? See if I can have a better life in Gem, basically, though I'm not even sure what I'll do when I get there so..."

He continues to scratch his head, looking as if he's worried that he might somehow have displeased the other man.

"Anyways, enough about me and my boring life, yours sounds much more interesting. I mean, 'the burden of a people's future?' Actually, um, can I ask what people?"

Mono Vertigo
2016-06-27, 03:06 PM
Marjan raises an index finger while nodding silently. "Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, when it comes to Immaculates."
Thoughtfully, she looks up at the night sky's constellations.
"The journey was uneventful so far, but you never know what might happen. A prayer seems appropriate. Another participant would be needed, though. He will only consider blessing this caravan if we honor him with a bloodless fight. This way, he may bless us with a wise lesson, in addition to the benefits of practice. But you already know that", comments the priestess. "Well, classic offerings are also good", she adds hurriedly and unconvinced, "But some simple, friendly sparring will keep us on edge and hone our skills, if only marginally."

Q'telun
2016-06-28, 01:17 AM
Chirio smiles and nods to Calima. "I do not know what I have done to be worthy of such praise, but I am glad that you enjoyed my tea. But, I wish you all a pleasant night, and a pleasant meal. And for you, young miss full of fire," he says as he rises to his feet, collecting his cloth bundle, "While the god you speak of may offer a wise lesson, I place my trust in the coming of Dawn, and the Dragon of Fire."

With that, he bows once more and walks off to his tent humming an old Immaculate hymn. A few moments later, he exits wearing his armor and makes his way to Captain Resk. He bows to the man. "Captain Resk, I hope you have had a pleasant night so far. Where would you like me this evening?"

Spending 2m for Whirlwind Armor Donning Prana, and then recommitting the 4m for Armored Scouts Invigoration, all from Personal.

Recaiden
2016-07-06, 04:21 AM
"And I wish you an uneventful watch."
On your feet, Calima! But not to follow to Naji and supper. Not so hungry this camp-time. Rather...a smile to Marjan.
"One could always do with more wisdom, no? I will join you in your prayer, if you don't expect me to know all the steps."
'e follows the preistess's gaze up to the sky, and eyes dart around, searching for the stars that comprise the Rising Smoke. Seems only fitting, departing a campfire. And who knows where in heaven's vault this sparring god looks down from?

Mono Vertigo
2016-07-17, 08:27 AM
Marjan nods to Calima, drops her bow to her side, and speaks solemnly, no longer addressing the physical audience.
"O Karoka New-Gauntlets, Guide and Teacher. We are but travelers across a dangerous land, relying on nobody's strength and wit but our own for protection. Reward our efforts with knowledge. Teach us one more lesson tonight. Allow us to share a grasp of our mastery with one another, and walk one step closer to unreachable perfection. And may you not let us die during training for no damn reason at all."
The priestess takes a deep breath before assuming a fighting stance, unarmed. This time, she talks directly to her sparring partner.
"You've got the choice of weapons, but remember this is a bloodless fight. We stop at first blood at most during a sacred spar. What matters is not the win, but the lesson we'll learn from the duel, whatever it is. And style. Karoka much prefers a long battle where the blade sings, even if it ends in a draw, to a quick and clean victory. Ready? I dedicate this fight to Karoka New-Gauntlets", she adds in Dragontongue.

That is a prayer in the shape of a short duel. How should I roll? Strength? Dexterity? Charisma? Performance? Brawl?

Exthalion
2016-07-18, 01:28 AM
"A thousand pardons, my mind is half elsewhere tonight. It is good we are nearly to Gem, for many of these wagons would not reach it if we were just starting out.

As for the 'burden of the future', I beg a thousand more pardons at my presumptuous speech. I have some small skill working with my hands and so the elder asked me to go to the Despot and give the impression that my people are useful and worth considering. Of course it is likely I will never be closer to his ear than some slave he trusts to handle such small affairs and will make little impact for good or for ill. Still, I hope my work with the wagons will at least put a good word in the mouths of the rest of the caravan."

He sighed and looked away from the fires toward the stars and to the west where the sun had set.

"If you will pardon me a third time, I do have a question of a different sort. One I have been asking myself more frequently of late. Is it better that work is done well because it should be worthy of the one who does it or because it is of better service to another? As a boy I greatly envied the best craftsmen, singers, orators, and the like. It seemed as if I had potential to do well in any of the sort of art that interested me, but never to the level of quality as those I saw. Now that I suspect that I can match some of them, perhaps even do better in certain cases, I wonder if that envy has not twisted something in me. No one loves a braggart, even if his boasts are made of steal and stone rather than sound."

Shaking his head as though to clear something away he turned back to Swallow's Flight and smiled wanly.

"Ah, pay me no mind. Something about the vapors of this hour make me melancholy and I would rather this meal be a happy one. One must never waste a happy meal, my father used to say, for the next one is not promised."

Recaiden
2016-07-18, 04:17 PM
Calima balls up her fists and does her best to mirror her sparring partner's stance.
"My hands will do."
Much easier to keep the blood in their veins when there's no bludgeons or blades.

Breaks into a smile.
"I'm ready."
And waiting. To lunge forward the instant Karoka moves, jabbing and swinging. The best defense is an overwhelming offense, after all.