PDA

View Full Version : Familiar question

Sillybird99
2016-05-19, 11:12 PM
Is there any literature that suggests that familiars can take objects into the extra dimensional space with them when they are dismissed?

Also aside from scouting and the help action are there any RAW actions or tricks that a familiar is useful for?

Foxhound438
2016-05-20, 03:49 AM
for the prior, pretty sure no.

for the latter, the only hard restriction is "can't attack", meaning if you're a pact of the chain warlock and you chose imp or sprite (both moderately intelligent creatures) it could technically "use an object" or "activate a magic item". One thing you could do is hand your imp or sprite a wand of magic missiles, which the familiar can use no action required by you thanks to 5e's definition of what an "attack" is. Casting magic missile doesn't have an attack roll, so it's totally legal by RAW. This in a hard fight can give you just that little bit of extra action economy/dpr to tilt things in your party's favor.

indemnity
2016-05-26, 11:13 PM
Also aside from scouting and the help action are there any RAW actions or tricks that a familiar is useful for?

Casters can use their familiar to cast touch spells from a distance.

Any owl with 60' speed flyby (disengage as part of move action) is a powerful melee tool for casters.

RulesJD
2016-05-26, 11:47 PM
Familiar + 50ft of Rope + Grappling Hook = massively useful.

Millstone85
2016-05-27, 07:24 AM
Is there any literature that suggests that familiars can take objects into the extra dimensional space with them when they are dismissed?If it were the case, that would be a powerful tool. I don't see a range limit on your ability to dismiss a familiar. It should work even if the familiar is on another plane. And you can then make the familiar reappear within 30 feet of you. It would be cool to transport something along with the familiar.

Now, there is only one thing I can think of that would support objects being taken in the pocket dimension. What happens to the sprite's leather armor when you dismiss that familiar?

Also aside from scouting and the help action are there any RAW actions or tricks that a familiar is useful for?I find Pact of the Chain familiars to be great messengers as well as scouts/spies, especially with Voice of the Chain Master.

Casters can use their familiar to cast touch spells from a distance.

Any owl with 60' speed flyby (disengage as part of move action) is a powerful melee tool for casters.Feel free to disagree but it is my belief that any familiar can recreate the owl's flyby. Indeed, a familiar uses its reaction to deliver a touch spell or (with PotC) make an attack of its own. That means the familiar can also take the Disengage action on that turn. Some familiars could instead use their action to turn invisible, which is even better.

Of course, the owl could deliver a touch spell / attack and use the Help action before retreating safely with flyby. So it might still be the best at that game.

Familiar + 50ft of Rope + Grappling Hook = massively useful.Thank you for mentioning this. I somehow hadn't considered it.

Inevitability
2016-05-27, 04:08 PM
I'm actually pretty sure they can take equipment with them. A warlock is able to take a sprite as familiar. Sprites are described as wearing armor and using weapons. Do those just drop to the ground when the sprite is dismissed?

One could combine the two interpretations by ruling that a familiar can take items with it into its pocket dimension; but only those it was carrying when summoned.

Sillybird99
2016-05-27, 04:28 PM
The intent of the OP was to determine if the familiar could hide a wizards spell book in the safety of the extra dimensional pocket until he needed to prepare spells.

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-27, 04:40 PM
The intent of the OP was to determine if the familiar could hide a wizards spell book in the safety of the extra dimensional pocket until he needed to prepare spells.

Personally, I'd allow this sort of thing, provided the familiar in question was capable of physically carrying the object.

e.g. a cat could probably carry a moderately sized spellbook if the wizard could find a way of strapping it to said cat's back. In contrast, trying that with a bat would likely end with a squashed bat. And strapping full plate to them is right out.

Millstone85
2016-05-27, 04:46 PM
Personally, I'd allow this sort of thing, provided the familiar in question was capable of physically carrying the object.I would also rule that the familiar can not return without the spellbook and retrieve it from the pocket dimension later on. The spellbook would get lost between the planes without the familiar guarding it.

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-27, 04:47 PM
I would also rule that the familiar can not return without the spellbook and retrieve it from the pocket dimension later on. The spellbook would get lost between the planes without the familiar guarding it.

I like that idea.

PotatoGolem
2016-05-28, 10:28 AM
There's a bit of a problem with the spellbook plan: how is the wizard going to get his familiar back? Wizards need their spellbooks to cast rituals, so he'd need to actually prepare find familiar before trying this. That actually balances things out a bit at low levels, since it eats up a spell slot and preparation slot in exchange for total security

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-28, 10:32 AM
There's a bit of a problem with the spellbook plan: how is the wizard going to get his familiar back? Wizards need their spellbooks to cast rituals, so he'd need to actually prepare find familiar before trying this. That actually balances things out a bit at low levels, since it eats up a spell slot and preparation slot in exchange for total security

Well, the Wizard only needs to cast Find Familiar the once. After that, he can dismiss it and call it back as an action (he doesn't need to cast the spell again to get it back).

Daishain
2016-05-28, 11:54 AM
I let such creatures carry objects into the void, all such objects return when the familiar or paladin mount does, they cannot be left behind in the aether.

but I have a rule of thumb in regards to what can be transferred in this fashion. It must be easily worn or inside something easily worn by the creature. scroll case tied to a leg? yes. Leather harness with pouch? yes. Saddle, tack, and comparatively small saddlebags? sure. Miniature breastplate armor and helm? why the hell not (restrictions apply concerning the functionality of such tiny armor projects). A spell book at least half the size of the creature itself? heck no.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-28, 12:28 PM
As a DM, the first thing I'd do is figure out the encumbrance rules for Tiny creatures, and I'd put a hard limit on the Encumbrance level the familiar can take with it when goes into its pocket dimension. Should it be limited to Light encumbrance, or would something higher be acceptable? It's hard to say what I'd consider "broken" without running those numbers.

Millstone85
2016-05-28, 12:55 PM
I let such creatures carry objects into the void, all such objects return when the familiar or paladin mount does, they cannot be left behind in the aether.That works too.

A spell book at least half the size of the creature itself? heck no.
As a DM, the first thing I'd do is figure out the encumbrance rules for Tiny creatures, and I'd put a hard limit on the Encumbrance level the familiar can take with it when goes into its pocket dimension. Should it be limited to Light encumbrance, or would something higher be acceptable? It's hard to say what I'd consider "broken" without running those numbers.Fair point. A spellbook might be too much.

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-28, 01:08 PM
When a familiar is very encumbered, there's a delay between when it's summoned and when it actually arrives. The mage has to wait a few rounds, whereupon the familiar arrives in the designated space, panting with exhaustion as it drags the allotted gear with it. If capable of talking, it may make a single wise crack before passing out.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-28, 07:51 PM
When a familiar is very encumbered, there's a delay between when it's summoned and when it actually arrives. The mage has to wait a few rounds, whereupon the familiar arrives in the designated space, panting with exhaustion as it drags the allotted gear with it. If capable of talking, it may make a single wise crack before passing out.

Most hilarious house rule ever.

Consider it stolen.

UndeadArcanist
2016-05-28, 08:29 PM
The best use I can think of for a familiar is to have it do the 'help' action, giving advantage on your attack rolls (the familiar has to be within 5 feet of the target).