PDA

View Full Version : Contest Base Class Challenge XXXIII Voting Thread

Temotei
2016-05-20, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Challenge XXXIII, ...And Old Lace (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483750-Base-Class-Contest-XXXIII-And-Old-Lace-3-5)! Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes. Anyone can vote, and in fact, entrants must vote to qualify for victory.

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. You may not vote for your own class. You will receive the 3rd place point automatically when you vote.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until 23:59 (Central Standard Time USA/Canada; GMT-6) on June 4th.

Base Class
Author
1st
2nd
3rd
Total Points

Sacred Asp Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20632481&postcount=3)
Jormengand

Juicer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20653523&postcount=4)
Beelzebub1111

Metabolist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20691343&postcount=6)
sengmeng

Unfortunately, the blackout brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20655196&postcount=5) is ineligible for voting.

Temotei
2016-05-20, 12:08 AM
Contest is closed, but last-minute changes can be made for two more days (that is, until 23:59 May 21st CST). Lanth is very close to finishing that entry, and it would be a shame to not allow it to be finished.

Beelzebub1111
2016-05-23, 05:21 AM
1st) Metabolist - This class has what I like. Lots of options on how to build my character. 15 might be a BIT too many, and a few of the tricks need some more clarification on what poison that they specifically modify but I assume it's the spit. Either way, it's a good class that I like a lot.

2nd) Sacred Asp Mage - The theme is good, but it has some balancing issues. Ability damage with no save breaks a lot of challenge ratings. Like killing something 15 CR higher than you in one round with no save broken. I still like the theme, though

3rd) Juicer by default???

Temotei
2016-05-24, 04:35 PM
3rd) Juicer by default???

Edited the first post to reflect what's going on. Third place point by default, indeed.

Votes tallied.

kanachi
2016-05-26, 04:41 AM
After an insane absence from the contests I thought I would dip in to see what you guys were up to.

1st) Metabolist - This is my favourite and something I would actually play. You could make a kind of Shaka Zulu inspired class character by multiclassing this a bit, which would be fun. I think the mechanics work pretty well. I do agree with Beelzebub1111 though, some of the interactions do need a bit of clarification.

3rd) Juicer - This one takes a little bit of time to get going in my opinion, the 1 use per day thing could make it a bit dull to play early on in a campaign made up of several small tightly packed skirmishes. This is of course true of all classes with this kind of limitation, its the dms job in a way to work around such aspects of a class. Also again, early on your probably just looking at some strong but not exactly exciting stat boosts. All that said, the class soon picks up in terms of what it can do and the core mechanic is very fun given time and probably a bit of multiclassing. I love the idea of stumbling around while being a badass. Hmmm actually you could even turn this into a kind of Drunken Master Jackie Chan build... interesting :)

3rd) Sacred Asp Mage - I have to agree with Beelzebub1111, ability damage can be very broken early on in its own right add no save and well... I enjoyed the theme though its perhaps not as open as the others in the challenge.

sengmeng
2016-05-26, 01:22 PM
1). Juicer. Powering himself through poison is a clever twist on the theme and I was looking for a decent way to do it as well... I'd really like to stat out a Juicer/Metabolist multiclass character. Nice.

2). Sacred Asp Mage. I appreciate the work and the idea, and it's a solid class with lots of options, but I have a little theme/fluff problem with it. It feels like it's trying too hard to be different from what you'd expect for a poison themed class, but not for any good reason. I can't explain better than that, and I far from dislike it.

3). Metabolist. This class is awful and I would never allow it in my game. The creator should be ashamed of himself. The abilities are unclear and the thirty variations on his trick don't keep him from being a one-trick pony.

Temotei
2016-05-26, 08:06 PM
Votes tallied.

bookguy
2016-05-30, 04:23 PM
1st) Juicer - I like this class all around.
2nd) Sacred Asp Mage - I like the theme for this class but I'm not certain about balance.
3rd) Metabolist - The class only does one thing. It's too powerful when it works and the class has no other options when it doesn't work.

Temotei
2016-06-01, 06:40 PM
Votes tallied.

Temotei
2016-06-04, 03:36 PM
Jormengand still needs to vote.

Jormengand
2016-06-04, 03:57 PM
Juicer, Metabolist, then Sacred Asp Mage.

Temotei
2016-06-05, 01:17 AM
Votes tallied and thread closed!

1st Place: Juicer, by Beelzebub1111!

2nd Place: Metabolist, by sengmeng!

3rd Place: Sacred Asp Mage, by Jormengand!