PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Kalamar!

Water Bob
2016-05-20, 12:19 AM
I'm curious. What do you guys think of the old Kingdoms of Kalamar setting? I know it came out for 3rd edition, but there's no reason why it couldn't be used for any of the other editions.

I've always been intrigued by the setting. I like the typical, "generic" settings, like Greyhawk and Mystara.

Your thoughts on Kalamar?

Doctor Despair
2016-05-20, 12:27 AM
Almost everything in it is irreversibly broken iirc. See: Irresistible Spell. In Kalamar, it modifies a spell such that it no longer provokes a saving throw. Very silly.

Tiri
2016-05-20, 12:31 AM
My favorite was Miser with Magic. Make a laughably easy Spellcraft check to retain cast spells.

Water Bob
2016-05-20, 01:22 AM
Well, that sucks.

What about the setting in general, sans the silly spell casting rules?

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-20, 01:30 AM
Broken and badly designed. Check out the Muse PrC, the capstone power for which, on a 10-level class with about 6 dead levels, is the world-shaking power to split the bonus you grant by the Aid Another action between attack and AC.

gadren
2016-05-20, 01:44 AM
To actually answer Bob's question instead of going on about the broken mechanics, I think the one thing that stood out to me about it was their write-ups of hobgoblin society. It kind of shaped how I portrayed hobgoblins from that point forward.

Clistenes
2016-05-20, 01:46 AM
Well, that sucks.

What about the setting in general, sans the silly spell casting rules?

I think it's a good setting for a low magic campaign. Unlike say Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, the existance of an almost mundane feudal society doesn't feel out of place.

nyjastul69
2016-05-20, 08:06 AM
Almost everything in it is irreversibly broken iirc. See: Irresistible Spell. In Kalamar, it modifies a spell such that it no longer provokes a saving throw. Very silly.

This is patently untrue. Yes, IS is broken. It is no more broken than that which exists in core though. IS seems to be the only thing that ever gets mentioned about the setting. I choose not to judge the entire setting based on one feat.

That said, KoK is an excellent setting. I've enjoyed DMing multiple campaigns with it. It has excellent support products as well. Salt & Seadogs is one of the best gaming books I've ever bought. The KoK atlas is an absolutely beautiful product. If you like standard settings, such as Greyhawk, you wont be disappointed with KoK. Yes, I am a fan.

Florian
2016-05-20, 08:15 AM
Your thoughts on Kalamar?

Nice setting, wrong rules. Kalam would work fine with anything besides d20 rules.

darksolitaire
2016-05-20, 08:22 AM
Hobgoblins for days.

nyjastul69
2016-05-20, 08:39 AM
Nice setting, wrong rules. Kalam would work fine with anything besides d20 rules.

The CS itself is divorced from any rules. There is only the barest minimum of mechanics in the CS. The only reason those mechanics exist is so that it could carry the d20 STL. It's a system neutral setting.

Water Bob
2016-05-20, 12:47 PM
I think it's a good setting for a low magic campaign. Unlike say Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, the existance of an almost mundane feudal society doesn't feel out of place.

That's part of what attracts me to it. I like magic to be fearful and powerful and rare. I'm not as enamored with mages walking up and down the street like wares peddlers.

Yogibear41
2016-05-21, 12:35 AM

I heard there was an Errata to change it to just add +10 to the save DC instead of preventing the save all together.

Tiri
2016-05-21, 12:40 AM
I heard there was an Errata to change it to just add +10 to the save DC instead of preventing the save all together.

I think the errata doesn't have WotC's licence like the book does, so it's technically not official.

Bullet06320
2016-05-21, 11:04 PM
I think the errata doesn't have WotC's licence like the book does, so it's technically not official.

tru, but heres the errata

http://www.kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/KPG5_feats.pdf

http://www.kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/KPG2_classes.pdf

RedMage125
2016-05-23, 10:02 AM
To actually answer Bob's question instead of going on about the broken mechanics, I think the one thing that stood out to me about it was their write-ups of hobgoblin society. It kind of shaped how I portrayed hobgoblins from that point forward.

I used to have a roommate who was similarly influenced, although he also made their culture basically samurai. When my character in his game died, I made a hobgoblin samurai. It was a hoot.