PDA

View Full Version : Earth Spell, stone sandals? Dirt in boots?

magicalmagicman
2016-05-20, 04:09 AM
You gain the benefits as long as you stand on stone or unworked soil right? Does this mean if you're walking around in stone sandals, or put a ton of soil in your boots, you gain the benefit of earth spell even inside a metal fortress?

jiriku
2016-05-20, 04:23 AM
That's a DM call. I had a player attempt this trick with me once; I laughed and told him no.

nedz
2016-05-20, 06:05 AM
That's a DM call. I had a player attempt this trick with me once; I laughed and told him no.

this

It's a DM's call. It wouldn't fly at my table - I would probably laugh at them too.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-20, 06:19 AM
How bout a slab of stone on wheels? Like a skateboard.

Or how bout a bucket of soil? And have someone carry you around.

How bout minor/major creation to blanket the floor with stone or soil?

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-20, 06:24 AM
I would considder the soil to be worked, and give penalties for the sandals. The soles would have to be rather thick to prevent breaking.

Âmesang
2016-05-20, 06:40 AM
Only if it's a literal "ton." :smallamused: How's your Strength score?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-20, 06:44 AM
I know a lot of intelligent undead tend to put black sand in their boots.

Darrin
2016-05-20, 06:52 AM
How many of you would allow acorn of far travel to work for this?

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-20, 08:05 AM
What about riding on an earth elemental?

Ashtagon
2016-05-20, 08:41 AM
Where a feature only works if you are standing on something, I generally take it to mean enough of that something to be considered a terrain feature.

These stone sandals would get laughed out of my game table.

Psyren
2016-05-20, 10:07 AM
I use this with Earth Power and Psycarnum. Melds like Impulse Boots and Airstep Sandals actually meld into your feet, and they keep you from using magic boots anyway - so you're able to benefit from your feet slot without actually breaking the connection with the ground required to use EP.

Thurbane
2016-05-23, 10:54 PM
How bout a slab of stone on wheels? Like a skateboard.

Or how bout a bucket of soil? And have someone carry you around.

How bout minor/major creation to blanket the floor with stone or soil?

I'm picturing a riding dog pulled sled full of dirt with someone standing in it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dvWYl2WQQ8k/UclVhIWjiQI/AAAAAAAAIfg/wsphCTeB-A0/s1600/Copy+of+Kiahappilypullscartonherown2+%25283%2529.j pg

MesiDoomstalker
2016-05-23, 11:01 PM
I actually worked with a DM to get some Stone Boots for my Killer Gnome. They were a magic item whose only function was "Treat as if you are standing on unworked stone" at all times. I forget how much he made me pay for them, but it was a 5 digit sum affordable for a level 11 character.

Gildedragon
2016-05-23, 11:46 PM
I would allow it, but damn would it be uncomfortable.

ekarney
2016-05-24, 12:17 AM
I would considder the soil to be worked, and give penalties for the sandals. The soles would have to be rather thick to prevent breaking.

As everyone's said it's a DM call, but from the perspective of someone who works with dirt and soil, worked soil generally refers to soil that's been prepared to have things planted in it.

Example: Earth spell works on the muddy ground near a river, but not on a farm or possibly dirt road. But that depends on how the road is formed. So for that it would be more about where the dirt came from, than where it is.

As for my personal ruling, the description doesn't specify any amount or volume of dirt/stone so i mean so long as they've correctly sourced their dirt I'd allow it.
I mean, there's cheesier things that they could do.

Plus it worked in Pirate of the Caribbean right?

tropical_punch
2016-05-24, 01:56 AM
Plus it worked in Pirate of the Caribbean right?

I was just about to mention that! (https://youtu.be/RNRwUlV6Sr8) If a bucket of water works for Davy Jones, then why not a bootful of earth?

Ashtagon
2016-05-24, 02:01 AM
As everyone's said it's a DM call, but from the perspective of someone who works with dirt and soil, worked soil generally refers to soil that's been prepared to have things planted in it.

Example: Earth spell works on the muddy ground near a river, but not on a farm or possibly dirt road. But that depends on how the road is formed. So for that it would be more about where the dirt came from, than where it is.

I get that "worked soil" has a specific real-world agricultural meaning. But saying that a feat works most places, but specifically not on an active farm seems... curiously specific to the point that I don't think that's quite what the writers intended. Not many D&D adventures happen on a running farm, after all.

Rather, I think they were using the term in an analogous way to the game-phrase "worked stone". In that light, it means "soil that has been shaped or transformed by an intelligent agent". Which would logically include pretty much anything made into a shoe.

Also, about the feat itself...

As long as you are standing on stone or unworked earth (including normal soil), you can use the Heighten Spell feat to added effect. ...

Clearly, you don't need to be barefoot and standing directly on the material. In other words, a shoe-sized quantity of not-stone/soil won't prevent the feat working. Which logically implies implies that absent a suitable terrain surface to stand on, a shoe-sized quantity of stone/soil won't help. It's simply not a large enough quantity either way to make a difference.

ILM
2016-05-24, 02:55 AM
How many of you would allow acorn of far travel to work for this?
*raises hand*

It feels like a smart trick rather than the poor munchkiny excuse of "oh but I have dirt in my boots" line.

Troacctid
2016-05-24, 03:12 AM
I would probably allow stone boots to work. You're standing on stone. As an interpretation, it's maybe a little rocky, but it's spiritually similar to carrying around a bag of sand to use drift magic.

You do have to be standing, though. Not flying, not swimming, not climbing, not prone—this feat wants your feet firmly planted on the ground.

I actually worked with a DM to get some Stone Boots for my Killer Gnome. They were a magic item whose only function was "Treat as if you are standing on unworked stone" at all times. I forget how much he made me pay for them, but it was a 5 digit sum affordable for a level 11 character.
5 digits?! I would expect it to be dirt cheap!

ryu
2016-05-24, 06:02 AM
I would probably allow stone boots to work. You're standing on stone. As an interpretation, it's maybe a little rocky, but it's spiritually similar to carrying around a bag of sand to use drift magic.

You do have to be standing, though. Not flying, not swimming, not climbing, not prone—this feat wants your feet firmly planted on the ground.

5 digits?! I would expect it to be dirt cheap!

Boo. Just... Just boo.

ayvango
2016-05-24, 06:58 AM
Go to the wild and collect some rock, shrink them and put inside the portable hole.