PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Campaign Introduction check list?

hymer
2016-05-20, 07:01 AM
I'm preparing a (D&D 5e) campaign, which needs to be presented to people beyond my usual gaming circle. As such, there needs to be an intro text of some sort. What information is needed? What would you want to know before trying out an unfamilar gaming group?

The system (5e), the house/campaign rules (link to those), the type and feel of the campaign (fairly old school hexcrawl), a link to some world background... What else?

Thanks in advance!

kraftcheese
2016-05-20, 07:06 AM
I guess I personally might want some examples of culture, community or family my character might come from; that's always something I think about when I'm making one.

hymer
2016-05-20, 07:08 AM
I guess I personally might want some examples of culture, community or family my character might come from; that's always something I think about when I'm making one.

I'll be sure to add links to that, thanks!

Takewo
2016-05-20, 07:41 AM
You'll probably cover that in "type and feel," but I'd want to know whether it would be a waste of time to make a character centred on anything other than combat or not. That is, if the only meaningful challenges are going to be combat or there's going to be opportunity to shine in other aspects.

hymer
2016-05-20, 07:49 AM
You'll probably cover that in "type and feel," but I'd want to know whether it would be a waste of time to make a character centred on anything other than combat or not. That is, if the only meaningful challenges are going to be combat or there's going to be opportunity to shine in other aspects.

I'll make a note to spell it out. Thanks!

Joe the Rat
2016-05-20, 08:47 AM
something else in the "feel" column: The Major themes or tones you are going for - as you present it, or as you expect from the players. Action? Wonder? Horror? Humor? Gritty Survival? Epic Save the World? Get Rich Tomb Raiding? Tactically Serious Roleplay?

Note these are not exclusive categories. Your crawling can show the grand wonders of the world, which includes dark eldritch secrets of the past that want to eat your brain. While tracking rations (including water!) fastidiously. As a comedy.

Geddy2112
2016-05-20, 08:52 AM
In the description of the world, you need a breif Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How for any major factions and events. A a bit more of this is important for the PC's starting location/faction/whatever.

hymer
2016-05-20, 09:50 AM
@ Joe and Geddy: Duly noted, thanks!

kingtiger13123
2016-05-24, 10:01 AM
If you don't mind a major cliche, then the classic "You're all in a tavern" works well. Personally, I find it one of the most versatile openings for any campaign. All classes and races have reasons to be there. The bard wants to play for some silver, the rogue is there to find info about the new town, the barbarian wants a drink, the paladin wants to know about that old necromancer's tower over yonder hill, etc.
Cliche? Yes.
Works well for almost anyone? Yes, also.
A more personalized opening is generally better, I know, but I've been in some rough openings that made me yearn for the tavern.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-24, 10:43 AM
What would you want to know before trying out an unfamilar gaming group?

Unless this is what you mean by 'house rules', I'd want to know whether I'm supposed to bring food or whatever, whether people will be drinking/smoking, all that sort of stuff. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2016-05-24, 04:03 PM
Brief and general guidelines for what sort of behavior or characters may not be accepted. Like your willingness to deal with evil or lolrandumb shenanigans, your attitudes about torture, player-versus-player conflicts, profanity, and and sex (i.e. "I don't want to spend my free time listening to purple prose about how you screw an elf, I'd much rather 'fade to black'; if you can't handle that I'll skip over it and say you both had a great time playing scrabble all night").

Something saying to discuss character ideas with you long before play begins. That way you can work through any problems beforehand, or even encourage your players to have deeper ties in the world. This can also be a last-minute way to vet players, if they come to you with character concepts that reveal absolutely repugnant deal-breaking facts about the player and his style.

Clear guidelines on character creation, as far as you have determined that. Things like level, ability score generation, starting equipment, disallowed races and classes, permitted books, and so on.

How strict you are about encumbrance, torches, and rations.

Encouragement to coordinate chargen with other players to cover roles, encourage positive RP and teamwork, help head off game-destroying conflict (i.e. paladin and rogue, cleric and necromancer, etc etc).