PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Why isn't there a True Cognatogen grand discovery for the alchemist class?

Levism84
2016-05-20, 03:17 PM
Looking through the Pathfinder Website, I couldn't find a True Cognatogen grand discovery for the alchemist class. Since cognatogens are nearly identical to mutagens, I thought there should be a similar build for each. I know cognatogen's cause ability damage to physical scores they reduce, but that is really the only difference I see. Is there a reason for this or was it just overlooked?

True Cognatogen
Prerequisite: grand discovery, grand cognatogen discovery
Benefit: The alchemist’s cognatogen now grants a +8 natural armor bonus and a +8 alchemical bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. The alchemist takes a –2 penalty to his Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution as long as the cognatogen persists. When the effect of the true cognatogen ends, the alchemist takes 2 points of ability damage to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

Psyren
2016-05-20, 04:45 PM
Overlooked would be my guess. I see nothing wrong with adding it personally.

Necroticplague
2016-05-20, 05:22 PM
Honestly, Cognatogen strikes me as a horrifically excessively roundabout way to do what it does. It seems like it would be a lot clearer, and a lot easier to have the following:

Cognatogen (SU)
Benefit: Whenever you make a mutagen, you may reverse the ability scores the bonus and penalties apply to.
Then, instead of separate discoveries for cognatogens, you'd simply take the ones that improve mutagens, then apply cognatogen to reverse it.