PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The World of Danarus (suggestions)

AvalonIronblade
2016-05-20, 05:02 PM
Hey everyone. I've been playing a lot of paper-and-pencil-and-dice RPGs for 10 years now and I've been trying to come up with a new world to host my very own adventures. I decided to make a whole new world where many things are going on all over the world and they all, if not most, have a connection to the main plot. The events of the world will effect the characters, whether they know it or not. (Game of Thrones style). So here's my idea. (I'll take any suggestions or ideas. Thanks a bunch) This world is set in the time similar to that of Greyhawk (Dungeons and Dragons).

The World of Danarus:
A few hundred years ago, the world was heavily populated. Kingdoms of all shapes and sizes grew and made many wondrous things. The geology of the land is very similar to that of Pangaea, where there is only one major continent and a few scattered islands off of the coasts. All was going well. Small problems arose, such as raids by barbarians and political issues, but nothing the kingdoms couldn't handle, and all in all the world was fairly peaceful. Until the Evil began to take root. It grew right under the very noses of the world's greatest kingdoms and major powers. Soon, the Evil took its hold on the kingdoms by secretly causing war, famine, and the plague. The kingdoms began to fight one another, thinking that other kingdoms besides themselves were the causes of the world's suffering. A massive war broke out that lasted for 35 years, and it dramatically ended the factions. Not only were they fighting one another, but other, smaller groups, such as drow, took this into consideration, and helped with the destruction of the kingdoms. A few years later, diseases of indescribable power, starvation, and other gruesome evils destroyed a huge percentage of the population, to where only small groups of humanoids survived.

Today, The world has regrown to the point where ancient forests are arising and animals and trees that were never seen before are appearing. Creatures that were only thought to be myths are also appearing, and the natural world has taken over and the old world is not left in mystery. Very little is known about what happened in the past, and after 300 years, the small groups of humanoids created tribes. Today, the biggest thing you'll see is a small city.

The characters will have a choice of either being a native of the new land, or will grow up in one of the few towns and small cities on Danarus. The natives will know nothing of what happened in the past for reasons I know but the characters won't. They will find old structures that indicate of a past life, and clues will be dropped as to what happened in the past.

There is more I want to say but I ran out of time so I'll either write a response to this thread or answer any questions you may have. Thanks everyone! I wanted to either DM this in 5e or 3.5, not sure yet.

Regitnui
2016-05-21, 01:33 AM
Sounds a lot like the Nentir Vale of 4e for flavour. How did the PHB of the time put it? A "Points of Light" setting; where great swaths of land are uninhabited or cursed, and the small cities that remain are largely insular.