PDA

View Full Version : Speculation (Theory help): Sharpness shenanigans.

CrackedChair
2016-05-20, 06:55 PM
Ok, in our most recent session, I gave the party a Sword of Sharpness.

And Oil of sharpness. I am a tad bit afraid to have somebody apply this oil on the sword due to the fact that it could spell disaster, making a sword that is already sharp even sharper.

But I need to at least rule something if the party does attempt this. What would you guys say it would do?

BurgerBeast
2016-05-20, 07:10 PM
Ok, in our most recent session, I gave the party a Sword of Sharpness.

And Oil of sharpness. I am a tad bit afraid to have somebody apply this oil on the sword due to the fact that it could spell disaster, making a sword that is already sharp even sharper.

But I need to at least rule something if the party does attempt this. What would you guys say it would do?

I haven't read the descriptions but if they both grant the same "sharpness" benefit, you don't have to worry. They won't stack. Just like multiple blesses don't stack.

CrackedChair
2016-05-20, 07:14 PM
Well, the sword of sharpness does not have the same effect as oil of sharpness. Oil of sharpness gives a 3+ benefit to other weapons, and a sword of sharpness is something else entirely.

But eh, if the PC's do use it together, I gotta say something about their experiment... just give me ideas. I'll take em.

Jakinbandw
2016-05-20, 07:27 PM
The sword becomes so sharp you can cut yourself looking at it. Anyone who can see the sword takes 1d4 damage a round unless they spend a reaction/bonus action to avoid looking at it. The user and anyone attacking the user have disadvantage on attacks.

(Based on the sword from kung fu panda)

Coffee_Dragon
2016-05-20, 07:55 PM
As they wave the doublesharp sword around in the air to test it, it cuts a hole between planes and fourteen mariliths spill out.

pwykersotz
2016-05-20, 08:04 PM
As they wave the doublesharp sword around in the air to test it, it cuts a hole between planes and fourteen mariliths spill out.

Cutting the metaphysical can be fun. You could cut shadows from people or stab a curse from a man's soul.

Temperjoke
2016-05-20, 08:13 PM
The blade becomes so sharp, test swings leave a visible distortion in the air, as the very atmosphere is cut. It's not effective for killing, however, the extreme sharpness of the blade parting the cells of the body so cleanly cuts heal instantly.

Example of what I mean:

https://youtu.be/k-kr2jbPONY?t=9m34s

JellyPooga
2016-05-20, 08:14 PM
What would you guys say it would do?

Strictly speaking, it just becomes a +3 Sword of Sharpness for an hour.

Me? I'd make it Vorpal. A Vorpal blade is +3 by default and it's special effect triggers off of a natural 20; sound familiar? A neat little bonus for mixing two magical items that, fluff-wise, do the same thing. I'd probably reduce the duration though; maybe to a minute or 10 minutes, perhaps. Just don't let them get easy or regular access to Oil of Sharpness, otherwise you might as well have handed them a Legendary weapon...

Naanomi
2016-05-20, 08:22 PM
If it is a problem (I think it would be fine; making short work of a few encounters until the oil wears out but whatever); then warn them how making an already supernaturally thin blade even thinner will do horrible things to it's durability

krugaan
2016-05-20, 08:25 PM
It gains cha/int 18 and begins to insult everyone, including the wielder. Cutting words, indeed!

Carlobrand
2016-05-20, 08:40 PM
So ... if a Bard applies oil of sharpness to his tongue ...

Oil of sharpness: "For 1 hour, the coated item is magical and has a +3 bonus to
attack and damage rolls."

Sword of sharpness: "When you attack a creature with this weapon and roll a 20 on the attack roll, that target takes an extra 14 slashing damage. Then roll another d20. If you roll a 20, you lop off one of the target's limbs, with the effect of such loss determined by the DM. If the creature has limb to sever, you lop off a portion of its body instead."

Okay, both use the same word but approach the issue in a different way. The oil provides a decent attack and damage bonus, while the sword provides a rather big damage bonus but no attack bonus. So either:

A. They stack, and you get the sword of sharpness with a +3 to hit and +17 to damage, or

B. They semi-stack, and you get the bonus to hit (since the sword has no such bonus) but only the higher of the two bonuses (14) to damage, or

C. They don't stack, and the oil has no effect.

Someone help me out here. I know there's a rule on stacking magical item bonuses, but I can't for the life of me find it. Otherwise, I personally would go with B.

JellyPooga
2016-05-21, 03:35 AM
A. They stack, and you get the sword of sharpness with a +3 to hit and +17 to damage.

Note that the +14 to damage from the Sword of Sharpness is only on a natural 20.

Hrugner
2016-05-21, 04:18 AM
Well, for the sake of silliness, at that point it can't be put away effectively as no scabbard can contain it. Also, it can cut through things so cleanly that slicing into armor or even bone at long angles leaves sharp and jagged protrusions that chew up the victim as they move, each as sharp as the blade that cut them but; The blade is so sharp that if the victim doesn't move a heal spell can reverse the damage if applied before the victim acts or is acted upon.

Inevitability
2016-05-21, 08:59 AM
3.5 had a sword that was sharp enough to cut through a Wall of Force. I suggest taking a look at it.

Temperjoke
2016-05-21, 09:23 AM
3.5 had a sword that was sharp enough to cut through a Wall of Force. I suggest taking a look at it.

Heh, I had the thought earlier this morning that it might be able to cut through magic.

Carlobrand
2016-05-23, 02:42 AM
Well, for the sake of silliness, at that point it can't be put away effectively as no scabbard can contain it. ...

Umm, no. Make the scabbard a little wider than the blade and a little tighter than normal, and just pay attention when you're sheathing it. Think of the scabbard as functioning more like two palms pressed together than like a pocket.

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-23, 05:28 AM
The blade becomes so sharp, test swings leave a visible distortion in the air, as the very atmosphere is cut. It's not effective for killing, however, the extreme sharpness of the blade parting the cells of the body so cleanly cuts heal instantly.

Example of what I mean:

https://youtu.be/k-kr2jbPONY?t=9m34s

Honestly, I thought more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQcFM4xrbI