PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Home Brew Low Level Construct

Lord of Shadows
2016-05-20, 07:12 PM
REVISED VERSION
Looking for help with a low level challenge from the world of Constructs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCROLL GOLEM CR 2
This misshapen form looks more like a cluster of crumpled papers and parchments than an actual body. However, as it draws closer, it begins to take shape, looking more humanoid with every scroll and tome it draws into itself.

XP 600
N, Medium Construct
Init +0 Senses Low light vision, Darkvision 60 ft.

DEFENSE

AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 10 (+4 Dex)
hp 36 (3d10 + 20)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
DR 2/magic; Immune construct traits SR 13
Weaknesses susceptible to fire-based attacks (+50% damage)

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 Slams +3 (1d4, 1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5ft.
Special Attacks Spells; Spell Deflection
Spell-Like Abilities (CL treated as same as creator, min. 5)

3/day – magic missile (3 bolts each)
1/day – one random spell, see Special Abilities, Scroll Use

STATISTICS

Str 10, Dex 18, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 5
Base Attack +3 CMB +3, CMD 13
Languages understands all languages present within its writings, unable to speak
SQ Change Form

ECOLOGY
Environment any
Organization solitary
Treasure Value none (or scroll, unless used)

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Change Form (Ex)
Three times per day, a Scroll Golem can break its own body apart into its base components—scraps of paper and bookbindings. The Scroll Golem may remain in this state for as long as desired. When in this state, the Scroll Golem is unrecognizable from normal papers and books. Both breaking apart and putting itself back together are full round actions. If any of the material used to craft the Scroll Golem is moved more than 10 feet from the spot where it broke apart, it must be crafted again or subjected to a make whole to restore it.

Spell Use (Sp)
Whether due to the nature of their creation, or bestowed by a crafter, Scroll Golems can cast magic missile 3 times per day with 3 bolts in each missile.

Spell Deflection (Sp)
Whenever its Spell Resistance prevents a spell from affecting the Scroll Golem, that spell is redirected to a random creature other than the Scroll Golem within that spell's range. The original caster then re-rolls any variables, such as damage.

Scroll Use (Sp)
Scroll Golems possess one spell scroll which they can cast at will. Their caster level for this single ability is 8, allowing up to 4th level spells, with no chance of spell failure. Once used, this scroll is gone and the Scroll Golem must find another one. The crafter of a created Scroll Golem can provide the spell scroll and can also replace a used one. Otherwise, a Scroll Golem will have a random spell of up to 4th level, which could have unpredictable results when used. Unused scrolls can be extracted from a destroyed Scroll Golem and used normally, unless fire was used to destroy it.

Construction
Scroll Golems are just as often the product of accident as they are created on purpose. Still thought by some Transmografiers to be nothing but a legend, Scroll Golems can and do exist. There are two ways that a Scroll Golem can come into existence: by accident and by crafting.

A Scroll Golem can be created accidentally as the result of a Spell Fumble (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/active-spellcasting-variant-rules#TOC-Spell-Fumbles) or a Scroll Mishap (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/scrolls). In this case, all unattended papers, books and tomes within a range of 10 ft. per 2 levels of the caster (min. 10 ft) swirl and form into a Scroll Golem, with the level of the spell being attempted divided by 2 to obtain the CR of the resulting Scroll Golem (min. CR 1). The errant magic, along with any magic in the absorbed writings, are consumed to provide the spark of energy to animate the golem. This golem is uncontrolled, and it often attacks the caster whose accident caused its creation.

To craft a Scroll Golem requires a quantity of the finest types of paper, usually vellum, but can also include entire tomes. At least one scroll or tome must be magical. The raw materials must be worth at least 500 GP. These materials are formed into the desired shape (usually humanoid, but not always) which requires a Craft (Sculpture) or Profession (Bookbinder) check, DC 12. A specially prepared glue made from unguents and oils costing at least 500 GP is then applied to hold the materials together.

Scroll Golem CL 5th; Price 4500 GP

Requirements Craft Construct, mending, magic missile, read magic, creator must be caster level 5th or more; Skill Craft (Sculpture) or Profession (Bookbinder) DC 12; Cost 2,250 GP

Lore

Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) may have some information about Scroll Golems. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

Knowledge (Arcana)

DC
Result

This creature is a construct known as a Scroll Golem, a mundane object enchanted to a semblance of life through powerful magic. This result also reveals all construct traits.

These creatures often have a powerful magic scroll hidden within them that can be extracted unless it was used by the golem. Using fire to defeat the golem destroys it.

Although rare, other more powerful versions are rumored to exist. A much more powerful version is said to stalk the halls of a famous wizard's lost library.

Grand Arbiter
2016-05-21, 09:08 AM
While I don't think I am qualified to provide commentary, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?118537-3-5-Miniature-Golems) may be relevant/interesting...

Debihuman
2016-05-21, 11:34 PM
I recommend you use the online PRD to check your work as I see far too many errors in this.

CR 3 has 800 XP not 500.

Pathfinder constructs use d10 and the bonus hit points are based on the creature's size. A medium construct has 20 bonus hit points not 12.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/creatureTypes.html#construct.

hp 36 (3d10+20)

Constructs have poor saves (+2 for 3 HD). See here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/monsterCreation.html

Any DCs or other statistics that rely on a Constitution score treat a construct as having a score of 10 (no bonus or penalty).

Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2

Intelligent creatures have feats. It should have 2 feats.

You should note that the aforementioned sample scroll golem's random scroll is mage armor in stat block, unless the mage armor is from another source and then you should note it in special abilities.

CL should equal HD up to a Maximum of CL 8.

Also, construction costs are missing.

Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Debby

Lord of Shadows
2016-05-22, 03:40 PM
While I don't think I am qualified to provide commentary, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?118537-3-5-Miniature-Golems) may be relevant/interesting...

Thanks, that is some very useful information, not just for this project but in general about minor golems.

I recommend you use the online PRD to check your work as I see far too many errors in this.

Thanks for the help! Those links led to even more handy information.

The original post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20802197&postcount=1) has been updated with a new version.

Debihuman
2016-05-22, 05:09 PM
What is the caster level for the magic missile? It does not have 0 ability scores, it has Con — and Int —. Having a 0 Con means it is dead and having a 0 Int means the construct is comatose.

Debby

Lord of Shadows
2016-05-22, 05:36 PM
What is the caster level for the magic missile? It does not have 0 ability scores, it has Con — and Int —. Having a 0 Con means it is dead and having a 0 Int means the construct is comatose.

Debby

The CL for magic missile would be that of the creator, or minimum of 5 (always shoots at least 3 missiles). This is a Special Ability endowed either by chance (accidental creation) or on purpose (by a creator, increasing the cost). Most of the constructs I looked at had Con 0, Int 0, and Wis 10.

Lord of Shadows
2016-05-22, 05:59 PM
As a quick example of something similar, I found this:

Golem, Alchemical (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-alchemical)

It can hurl an apparently unlimited number of Bombs... Bombs are a specific ability of Alchemists, and their rules specify that an Alchemist "can use a number of bombs each day equal to his class level + his Intelligence modifier." However, Alchemical Golems have no class levels in Alchemist and the pertinent Stats are Con —, Int —, Wis 11. In fact, the creator doesn't even have to have Alchemist class levels. Just Craft (Alchemy).

Sayt
2016-05-23, 12:20 AM
Okay, this is an idea that I like, but the Spell deflection rule is a little weird. I get what you're trying to do with it, but there are some weird use-cases, and I think it needs a little more work: What is the range of the deflection: The range of the spell? If so, measured from the caster or the scroll golem? What happens if It gets targeted by Stone Discus? The conjured, now very real discus... bounces off?

Also, as personal choice, I'd give the creature SR 13~, and then rework the ability to "Whenever this creature's spell resistance prevents a spell from affecting the scroll golem, that spell is redirected to a random creature other than the scroll golem within that spell's range"

As a quick example of something similar, I found this:

Golem, Alchemical (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-alchemical)

It can hurl an apparently unlimited number of Bombs... Bombs are a specific ability of Alchemists, and their rules specify that an Alchemist "can use a number of bombs each day equal to his class level + his Intelligence modifier." However, Alchemical Golems have no class levels in Alchemist and the pertinent Stats are Con —, Int —, Wis 11. In fact, the creator doesn't even have to have Alchemist class levels. Just Craft (Alchemy).

Bombs is a special ability of the Alchemist, but an Alchemical Golem's Bombs are not an Alchemist's bombs, they are merely similar. They're unlimited use, but they don't scale, and they can have Bomb Discoveries applied to them, and it can't use fast bombs.

I do like the idea, and I think you've gotten it down pretty good.

Lord of Shadows
2016-05-23, 11:14 AM
Also, as personal choice, I'd give the creature SR 13~, and then rework the ability to "Whenever this creature's spell resistance prevents a spell from affecting the scroll golem, that spell is redirected to a random creature other than the scroll golem within that spell's range"

This ability is rooted in the way the golem is created, which includes magical writings. This version sounds good and will be added to the original post. Thanks!

Bombs is a special ability of the Alchemist, but an Alchemical Golem's Bombs are not an Alchemist's bombs, they are merely similar. They're unlimited use, but they don't scale, and they can have Bomb Discoveries applied to them, and it can't use fast bombs.

Ergo... how about this:

While spells are a special ability of casters, a Scroll Golem's Spells are not a caster's spells, they are merely similar. They're limited use, they don't scale, can't have Metamagic feats applied to them, and provoke attacks of opportunity.Since it is unintelligent, a Scroll Golem cannot benefit from Concentration, nor can it take special actions such as Casting Defensively.