PDA

View Full Version : What to Expect in Adventurers League...

kraftcheese
2016-05-20, 10:38 PM
So what SHOULD I expect in AL? From what I understand it's published modules, right? Have you folks got any tips for wringing as much fun as I can out of it?

Tanarii
2016-05-20, 11:57 PM
With random tables, with PCs rotating in and out of adventures, or even sessions, I find:
Play tends to be a bit combat oriented.
It's more important to have a character hook / quirk than a super in depth background.

Tables can be big. Be patient. In combat be ready to take your turn quickly. Out of combat, don't try to hog the spotlight, but contribute whenever it makes sense.

I've also found other players really appreciate it if you back them up, especially their RP, but also in other things. Lots of players tend to think as individuals when they are at a table with people they don't know. If you make an effort to back their plays, it makes things much more fun.

D&D is already a team game. But if you're sitting at a table with people you don't know, IMO it's even more important to enter it with the right mindset. It's about everyone having fun. Help make that happen.

djreynolds
2016-05-21, 02:14 AM
Everyone is going to be a paladin, or a PAM fighter, or warlock, etc...

Try a rogue out, you may fit in and be more useful. I enjoy the AL, if only because you can continually try out new builds

kraftcheese
2016-05-21, 04:32 AM

Try a rogue out, you may fit in and be more useful. I enjoy the AL, if only because you can continually try out new builds
That's odd; I thought everyone WOULD want to be a rogue or a ranger!

Maybe it's just the groups I've played with haha

djreynolds
2016-05-21, 06:43 AM
That's odd; I thought everyone WOULD want to be a rogue or a ranger!

Maybe it's just the groups I've played with haha

I see a lot of beast master, and Drizzt types. Rangers are popluar

Tanarii
2016-05-21, 10:13 AM
I see a lot of beast master, and Drizzt types. Rangers are popluar
Yeah. The 'Rangers suck, especially Beastmaster Rangers' thinking is a conceit of online denizens. Players don't actually seem to have any problems with it at all.

djreynolds
2016-05-22, 12:49 AM
Yeah. The 'Rangers suck, especially Beastmaster Rangers' thinking is a conceit of online denizens. Players don't actually seem to have any problems with it at all.

You know me, you sold me on the beast master. My guy rocks, I end up dipping cleric for heavy armor and a cantrip on top.

I went hill dwarf ranger, then took nature cleric for heavy armor and shillelagh. I use a quarterstaff and sentinel and PAM. And I use a wolf. And you can just focus on wisdom and con, and have an easily obtainable 13 dex.

I don't even attack, except for a reaction and then use my bonus action for healing word on the wolf.

uraniumrooster
2016-05-22, 02:31 PM
So what SHOULD I expect in AL? From what I understand it's published modules, right? Have you folks got any tips for wringing as much fun as I can out of it?

What to expect depends a lot on where you're playing. If you're going to a local game shop, there will likely be a lot of regulars who play together frequently and once you've been to a few games and start getting to know everyone, it will feel just like any other gaming group. If you're going to play mostly at conventions or pop in and out at various AL sessions, then you'll be gaming with strangers more often.

As for the adventures themselves, AL puts out episodic 2-4 hour adventure mods (and a few longer 8-hour mods) that string together to form a season. Each mod has a recommended level range or tier, so you need to have an AL-legal character that fits within the range for that mod. Most AL organizers will try to make sure they have a full range of tables going so new people can show up and still be able to play. To make an AL-legal character, read through the AL Player's Guide - from what I recall, use standard array and your starting equipment from your class & background, and valid source material is anything in the PHB & SCAG, and most of the EE content if you choose that story origin. Aarakocra aren't allowed, nor is any UA content or the classes/races from the DMG.

I'd recommend bringing a few different 1st level characters that you're interested in playing, in case you show up with a warlock and the group already has four warlocks (I've seen it happen, last season I ran a table that had 5 warlocks in the group... lol). You'll get a logsheet to track XP, GP, Downtime, Renown, and any Magic Item rewards for each mod your character has played. If you're going to play regularly at the same location, it's probably not important, but if you're planning to play at cons or something they might want to check character logsheets, especially once you get up into tier 2 and beyond.

Personally, to get the most fun out of AL I'd recommend going to regular sessions at a game shop. It will allow you to get to know the people you're playing with and have a consistent cast of characters so you can avoid the random-table effect that tends to occur at conventions. Once you get to know the group, it'll be just like any other game group.

kraftcheese
2016-05-26, 08:09 PM
What to expect depends a lot on where you're playing. If you're going to a local game shop, there will likely be a lot of regulars who play together frequently and once you've been to a few games and start getting to know everyone, it will feel just like any other gaming group. If you're going to play mostly at conventions or pop in and out at various AL sessions, then you'll be gaming with strangers more often.

As for the adventures themselves, AL puts out episodic 2-4 hour adventure mods (and a few longer 8-hour mods) that string together to form a season. Each mod has a recommended level range or tier, so you need to have an AL-legal character that fits within the range for that mod. Most AL organizers will try to make sure they have a full range of tables going so new people can show up and still be able to play. To make an AL-legal character, read through the AL Player's Guide - from what I recall, use standard array and your starting equipment from your class & background, and valid source material is anything in the PHB & SCAG, and most of the EE content if you choose that story origin. Aarakocra aren't allowed, nor is any UA content or the classes/races from the DMG.

I'd recommend bringing a few different 1st level characters that you're interested in playing, in case you show up with a warlock and the group already has four warlocks (I've seen it happen, last season I ran a table that had 5 warlocks in the group... lol). You'll get a logsheet to track XP, GP, Downtime, Renown, and any Magic Item rewards for each mod your character has played. If you're going to play regularly at the same location, it's probably not important, but if you're planning to play at cons or something they might want to check character logsheets, especially once you get up into tier 2 and beyond.

Personally, to get the most fun out of AL I'd recommend going to regular sessions at a game shop. It will allow you to get to know the people you're playing with and have a consistent cast of characters so you can avoid the random-table effect that tends to occur at conventions. Once you get to know the group, it'll be just like any other game group.

I'm asking because I know a relatively local game shop (half an hour away, maybe?) does AL sessions twice a month, and I'm considering going in to try it out, considering my attempts at gaming groups with friends have been less than stellar.

The info you've given is really helpful, thankyou!

indemnity
2016-05-26, 10:37 PM
a relatively local game shop (half an hour away, maybe?) does AL sessions twice a month, and I'm considering going in to try it out, considering my attempts at gaming groups with friends have been less than stellar.

A few obvious insights if you are not a game shop regular

Pre-register with AL to get the user ID
Ask the DM if they have the any specific house rules
Bring three characters (tank, leader, striker?) and be prepared to adjust level to suit the table
Prepare a single line description of your character (e.g. human ex-solider fighter who loves Dwarven cooking)
Shower beforehand, or at least be as clean as possible
Individually wrapped snacks can be enjoyed by all, some people don't like touching
Sometimes personalities will clash, just walk away as that won't be fun

Malifice
2016-05-26, 11:23 PM
Im really starting to hate it as anything other than a method of trialing character concepts out, or meeting players for the home group.

Just not my cup of tea. The last session I rocked up to had a PC named 'Hugh Garse' and a DM that kept attacking PCs 'outside' of initiative, and plainly just didint know the rules (didnt realise spell attacks could crit etc).

Annoyingly when you get good chemistry in the group and a decent DM, you part ways an hour later to never play with each other again.

Havent given up totally yet. Or maybe I have. Dont know.

coredump
2016-05-27, 12:00 AM
A few obvious insights if you are not a game shop regular

Ask the DM if they have the any specific house rules
Bring three characters (tank, leader, striker?) and be prepared to adjust level to suit the table

Technically, AL DMs are not supposed to have any House Rules (as in changes to the actual rules), but they may have some interpretations of grey areas.
You cannot 'adjust' your level in AL play. (Well, sans DM XP)

Im really starting to hate it as anything other than a method of trialing character concepts out, or meeting players for the home group.

Just not my cup of tea. The last session I rocked up to had a PC named 'Hugh Garse' and a DM that kept attacking PCs 'outside' of initiative, and plainly just didint know the rules (didnt realise spell attacks could crit etc).

Annoyingly when you get good chemistry in the group and a decent DM, you part ways an hour later to never play with each other again.

Havent given up totally yet. Or maybe I have. Dont know.
DnD still requires decent players and a decent DM to be fun. That is just as true in AL as anywhere. I have been fortunate to find stores with good players/DMs with good attitudes.

But if you find players and a DM you like, you guys can just arrange to play together more often.

Malifice
2016-05-27, 12:12 AM
But if you find players and a DM you like, you guys can just arrange to play together more often.

Yup. Ive been using it as a recruiting tool. No good uns yet.

Oramac
2016-05-27, 03:07 PM
With random tables, with PCs rotating in and out of adventures, or even sessions, I find:
Play tends to be a bit combat oriented.
It's more important to have a character hook / quirk than a super in depth background.

Tables can be big. Be patient. In combat be ready to take your turn quickly. Out of combat, don't try to hog the spotlight, but contribute whenever it makes sense.

I've also found other players really appreciate it if you back them up, especially their RP, but also in other things. Lots of players tend to think as individuals when they are at a table with people they don't know. If you make an effort to back their plays, it makes things much more fun.

D&D is already a team game. But if you're sitting at a table with people you don't know, IMO it's even more important to enter it with the right mindset. It's about everyone having fun. Help make that happen.

I was going to type up a big post. But Tanarii did it better than I could. Read what he said. It's correct.

Maybe it's just my location, but I've never seen a Paladin and only very rarely seen a Ranger or Warlock. Most people seem to play Clerics, Wizards, Fighters, and Rogues.

Tanarii
2016-05-27, 08:30 PM
I'm asking because I know a relatively local game shop (half an hour away, maybe?) does AL sessions twice a month, and I'm considering going in to try it out, considering my attempts at gaming groups with friends have been less than stellar.

The info you've given is really helpful, thankyou!
Ah. I live in a major U.S. city, with gaming shops AL being run everywhere, and even plenty of 'home' AL games that you can get into by joining various FB groups, email distro lists, Meetups, etc maintained by individuals or small groups of core DMs. So there are tons have my pick of tables to play at, and can find tons of players when I want to run games.

What it's like when they're only a few AL local options for D&D official play I couldn't really say. But IMO it's even more important to be flexible and remember that ideally everyone is there to have fun. Provided no one is ruining your fun by being a complete asshat, try to roll with it. You may even get to try out completely different styles of play compared to what you're used to. But definitely try to check with the DM as opposed to just walking in. If they like to run a 'beer and pretzels' easy going game without worrying about deep character development, you'll want to know that before playing. Or vice versa. Etc.

Madbox
2016-05-27, 09:52 PM
I play a lot of adventurer's league, and usually enjoy it. As others have said, small shops with regulars are loads of fun, but larger shops get iffy. There are lots of horror stories, but I think that's because with large stores, there is a certain degree of anonymity that produces an effect similar to GIFT. Small shops, the jerks get forced out pretty easily.