PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Infected by a Great Old One

Laserlight
2016-05-20, 11:45 PM
A character has gotten infected by a tadpole stage Great Old One, and I'm wondering what effect to inflict -- without making it likely to lead to a TPK.

The party is Level 8 and these are all new characters--this was part of their first session, in fact--so I don't want to be too harsh just yet.

"Don't look in the holes where the stars are missing! Horrible things live outside the world, and they can crawl in through the holes!" Given that the creature who gave that warning was walking up the sky, carrying a handful of stars, and hammering stars into place to fill the holes, you'd think the PCs would have listened to him.
Of course, they're PCs. I'm lucky they didn't all look.
Of the two who did look, one is a warlock. I told him "This is where you make your Pact, right here. You'll have some awful discoveries, and it might cost you your soul, but you can control this. Sort of. At least for now."
The other, though, is a rapier-wielding bravo (refluffed monk), with no background or preparation to deal with Eldritch Horrors from Beyond the Sky. Oops.

And they're about to fight one of the Lords of Night, except this Lord is a corpse, animated and ridden by a somewhat more advanced stage Great Old One. But there's no particular reason that her GOO has to be allied with the one riding the dead god.

Possible consequences that occurred to me:
Insanity, minor: "You keep hearing the night insects whispering to you. You can almost make out words."
Insanity, major: Paranoia or something similar. "All the others are hostile to you. The paladin especially--you don't know what's wrong with him, but he's clearly possessed by some hostile Power. The others don't seem to have realized that. Don't trust any of them."
Mind control: "No, this turn you don't attack the dead god, you attack the paladin."
Cosmetic, minor. "You have tattoos on your tongue--they don't make any recognizable figures, they're spikey, twisted designs that feel blasphemous"
Cosmetic, major. "You have grey-purple shelf fungus growing from your right cheekbone down to your hip. And you have a cluster of three-inch-long segmented tentacles, five of them, growing out of your left temple. They keep writhing and getting tangled in your hair."
Effects: replace her Ki attacks with Necro / Psychic attacks. "Flurry of blows, you say? It's actually a burst of black energy which seems to suck the spirit from your foe."
Effects: cook up an Uncontrolled Aberrant Magic table, like a sorcerer's Wild Magic. Random effects, random targets.

Anything else? The creepier the better.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-21, 02:21 AM
A character has gotten infected by a tadpole stage Great Old One, and I'm wondering what effect to inflict -- without making it likely to lead to a TPK.

The party is Level 8 and these are all new characters--this was part of their first session, in fact--so I don't want to be too harsh just yet.

"Don't look in the holes where the stars are missing! Horrible things live outside the world, and they can crawl in through the holes!" Given that the creature who gave that warning was walking up the sky, carrying a handful of stars, and hammering stars into place to fill the holes, you'd think the PCs would have listened to him.
Of course, they're PCs. I'm lucky they didn't all look.
Of the two who did look, one is a warlock. I told him "This is where you make your Pact, right here. You'll have some awful discoveries, and it might cost you your soul, but you can control this. Sort of. At least for now."
The other, though, is a rapier-wielding bravo (refluffed monk), with no background or preparation to deal with Eldritch Horrors from Beyond the Sky. Oops.

And they're about to fight one of the Lords of Night, except this Lord is a corpse, animated and ridden by a somewhat more advanced stage Great Old One. But there's no particular reason that her GOO has to be allied with the one riding the dead god.

Possible consequences that occurred to me:
Insanity, minor: "You keep hearing the night insects whispering to you. You can almost make out words."
Insanity, major: Paranoia or something similar. "All the others are hostile to you. The paladin especially--you don't know what's wrong with him, but he's clearly possessed by some hostile Power. The others don't seem to have realized that. Don't trust any of them."
Mind control: "No, this turn you don't attack the dead god, you attack the paladin."
Cosmetic, minor. "You have tattoos on your tongue--they don't make any recognizable figures, they're spikey, twisted designs that feel blasphemous"
Cosmetic, major. "You have grey-purple shelf fungus growing from your right cheekbone down to your hip. And you have a cluster of three-inch-long segmented tentacles, five of them, growing out of your left temple. They keep writhing and getting tangled in your hair."
Effects: replace her Ki attacks with Necro / Psychic attacks. "Flurry of blows, you say? It's actually a burst of black energy which seems to suck the spirit from your foe."
Effects: cook up an Uncontrolled Aberrant Magic table, like a sorcerer's Wild Magic. Random effects, random targets.

Anything else? The creepier the better.

At level 8, I could see giving the "possessed" character a Minor Pact, equivalent to the Magic Initiate Feat. Of course they'd have to "sacrifice" another Feat or ASI to compensate for it, but that's what happens when a Great Old One possesses you! Anyway, give 'em a couple of Warlock Cantrips and a 1st level spell; either your choice or let the player choose. Since it's a GOO, the 1st level choices from the expanded spell list for GOO pact warlocks should also be available.

(My personal suggestions: go with cantrips the party's Warlock didn't choose. Chill Touch? Poison Spray? And then either Dissonant Whispers or Tasha's Hideous Laughter for the 1st level spell.)

And yeah, throw in the minor insanity/cosmetic stuff just for laughs. Cuz possession should be interesting!

Cwest1230
2016-06-10, 01:16 PM
What I'd reccomend would be giving the Monk something that seems hillarious at the time, and starts to turn really, REALLY sinister as time passses.

For example, as a kind of Insanity, Major thing, you could start passing her helpful notes. A voice in her head is talking to her, giving her advice, help, flattery, praise.

Said voice would be a smart, manipulative Great Old One, of course! Have it be helpful, and even a major asset at the start. "No, don't strike there!" It says. "Strike THERE~!" And there is said weakpoint. Or, "A spike trap lies in wait." That kind of thing.

But of course, it IS evil. Because of course. But it doesn't do anything, YET. It keeps pretending to be an ally; heck, you could have it pretend to be an Angel or something.

For added awesomeness, have the Warlock be able to see... something grappling onto her back when he makes his pact. The Monk looks crazy, but keeps helping out everyone; said Monk also likes/believes the GoO. No one believes the Warlock.

As time passes, give her hints that the thing in her head is evil, evil, EVIL! Once in a while, make her make Con and/or Wis saving throws. If she doesn't make them, she blacks out for a few minutes, and the GoO does something.

After a few sessions, or if the Warlock manages to make everyone realize that this thing is EVIL, you could have her battle it in her head. Make it a private match with her, or have it try to suck everyone in at once.

Lord knows that I'd enjoy something like that xD

Anyway, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Regitnui
2016-06-10, 02:54 PM
For example, as a kind of Insanity, Major thing, you could start passing her helpful notes. A voice in her head is talking to her, giving her advice, help, flattery, praise.

This, but two or three voices, like she has a webcomic comment section following her adventures. Each 'voice' has different advice, and none of them speak at the same time; the Disgusted, who finds the flesh beings strange and terrifying; the Shipper, who wants her to make out/seduce anything she meets; and the Curiosity, which wants to understand everything without having any base point to reference.

Laserlight
2016-06-10, 11:05 PM
She has a few short tentacles sprouting from her left temple, and what looks like tattoos on her tongue. When she uses ki points, she doesn't get the usual effect; she gets a semi-random effect (fog cloud, vampiric touch, area effect frost, teleport, and a couple she hasn't figured out). As time goes on she'll suffer greater phyical alterations--left arm becomes a lobster claw, tongue is black, three feet long and hangs out of her mouth, that sort of thing. And her attacks will start infecting her targets.

Celluloid Flick
2016-06-12, 07:58 AM
Parasitoids ultimately kill their hosts as a matter of course, while a parasite proper might just make your lives miserable/inflict a lot of body horror. Of course said body horror might lead to death, but true parasites prefer to keep their hosts alive if possible.

Consider: Is it more Cordecyps or parasitic worm?

Regitnui
2016-06-12, 08:08 AM
Parasitoids ultimately kill their hosts as a matter of course, while a parasite proper might just make your lives miserable/inflict a lot of body horror. Of course said body horror might lead to death, but true parasites prefer to keep their hosts alive if possible.

Consider: Is it more Cordecyps or parasitic worm?

Is it reliant on her to exist in this dimension (Symbiotic) or slowly eating away at her existence (Parasitic)?