PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reflavoring certain beasts into dinosaurs

ChalcosomaAtlas
2016-05-21, 01:13 PM
Hi! Recently, in the campaign that I play in, the party discovered a vast archlibrary managed by a friendly, loony Spectator. My Moon Druid, in his search for more power, discovered a book that contained a bestiary of ancient, extinct beasts: namely, dinosaurs.

Now, I'm probably getting too giddy and way ahead of myself, but my inner 10-year old is jumping with ideas! I might be able to Wildshape into dinosaurs as I study the books, but I find the Monster Manual's options to be quite lacking in variety. What might be good dinosaurs (and other prehistoric beasts) to reflavor any of the beasts in the Manual? I'll say all the stats of the original beast are kept, for balance reasons. I'll probably stick to the popular "stock" dinosaurs, so I won't have to explain to the DM and the party how they look.

Lizard: Compsognathus
Blood Hawk: Archaeopteryx
Mastiff: Velociraptor
Wolf: Deinonychus
Dire Wolf (Axe Beak might fit physiology more, but stats+flavor-wise): Utahraptor
Rhinoceros: Styracosaurus (like a smaller triceratops)
Elephant: ?? (thinking another ceratopsian, but idk which one)

Any other ideas? :)

TundraBuccaneer
2016-05-21, 04:16 PM
For dromaeosaur i would go for cats since the pounce really fits them. Though I agree pack tactics also fits them well.
Also I would then switch the names of claw attack and bite since their claw is more of a pierce with more damage.

some suggestions:

mule -> protoceratops
polar bear -> baryonyx
warhorse -> pachycephalosaurus

But if it is stock dinosaurs you want

Ankylosaurus can be stegosaurus with piercing damage.
Sauropods are very big and don't really have a beast that i know you can steal from.
Giant poisonous snake can be a Dilophosaurus if you do like the poisones stigma he has gained.
Giant elk with less int -> parasaurolophus
Maybe quetzalcoatlus as giant eagle if he is famous enough?

ChalcosomaAtlas
2016-05-21, 11:08 PM
Yeah, shame that there's nothing that can match an apatosaurus >< Something huge like that'll likely have a CR above what a Moon Druid can transform to, anyway, haha! Also a big shame that the iconic T. Rex is a CR 8 :C Maybe I'll talk to my DM about it being a Level 20 thing, in exchange for some power or druid capstone.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of the baryonyx as a polar bear! The bears definitely fit the fish-hunting 'saurs; maybe I'll have spinosaurus as the polar bear and baryonyx as the brown bear.
Thanks!