PDA

View Full Version : How to roleplay having inspiration?

The Shadowdove
2016-05-21, 01:29 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

It's common for tables that do inspiration to simply "have inspiration" and use it.

I understand that this is fine.

However,how would you act out actually using it. In order to make your role seem that extra weeee bit "inspired"?

Thanks in advance!!

-dove

RickAllison
2016-05-21, 03:13 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

It's common for tables that do inspiration to simply "have inspiration" and use it.

I understand that this is fine.

However,how would you act out actually using it. In order to make your role seem that extra weeee bit "inspired"?

Thanks in advance!!

-dove

I'll use an example to illustrate:

My Aarakocra Swashbuckler scanned the room, figuring how to disable the horde of zombies. He spots the chandelier, and EUREKA! He can cut the fixture down on top of the undead! That'll create quite a show...

Inspiration can be very subtle. In that case, the only tangible difference might be the twinkle in his eye

Sir cryosin
2016-05-21, 06:09 PM
Your question is like asking how do you make a decision. To answer your question it varies differently on the situation. And it's up to you as the player on how your character comes up with the inspiration at the moment. It could be your character does a double look and find something that he didn't see in the first scan. Or that he remembers inspiring words or he sees his comrade does something inspiring. Ok say I got inspiration the party is going along and someone trips a trap you roll a 2 and you know you will fail the check but the rogue rolls 18 and your sure he pass so you use your inspiration to reroll you get a 19. In this situation It looks like this in my mine or just say how it looks " ping! Ya'll hear a string snaps follow by grinding. When spears come Jetsen out of the wall. Seeing the rogue jump up and throw him self forward Into a roll. Seeing him do this give you the idea of following his action instead of jumping backwards like you we're about to do. Well that's longer then I was going to respond but that how I see it.