PDA

View Full Version : Back From A Ten Year Hibernation

Vorkosigan
2016-05-21, 04:42 PM
Hi, everybody.

The Black Dragon Vorkosigan has returned. Anybody remember me? No? Ah, well, I rather thought not.

So my question to anyone who is so inclined is: What's changed in the last ten years?

And, you know: Hi again. Say hi back. Nice to see you.

Basically, I moved, became a teacher, had kids, and wrote two novels. I got really desperate to get back into gaming. Soon, I'll post a character looking for a GM in the PbP Forum. I love playing 3.5e if anyone's looking. I'm pretty flexible as to character. Because it's a cheap Dune Reference. But mostly because Spoilers weren't really a thing when I left and now I want to make sure I can do them right. Ye gods I'm rusty at these things.

Hey! They worked!

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-21, 08:37 PM
Hail, noble pixie. :smallwink: Do you have 10 years of comics to catch up on, too?

RabbitHoleLost
2016-05-21, 08:49 PM
Gee whilickers, that was like a year before I registered on my first account - and I thought that I had been here forever.

What's changed? There's been atleast two huge forum upgrades, as far as I know. Did you have to change your password or did you end up making a whole new account?

golentan
2016-05-21, 10:43 PM
Nobody who likes Miles can be all bad!

Vorkosigan
2016-05-22, 06:14 AM
Hail, noble pixie. :smallwink: Do you have 10 years of comics to catch up on, too?
Nah, I kept up with that. Needed some laughs. Wish I could find some more really good webcomics to keep up with, though. Any recommendations? So far all I've found that I like are Girl Genius and Zebra Girl, and that last one is slow as hell to update.

Vorkosigan
2016-05-22, 06:15 AM
Nobody who likes Miles can be all bad!

Thanks! Bujold is a kickass writer, isn't she?

Vorkosigan
2016-05-22, 06:17 AM
Did you have to change your password or did you end up making a whole new account?

Amazingly, I remembered my old password on about the ninth try. Sure thought I was going to have to make a new one, though. There used to be a sort of In character GM-less game called The Town. Is it still there? Has anyone heard of it? Or is it gone?

RabbitHoleLost
2016-05-22, 10:24 AM
The Town morphed into several things and is now Free Form Roleplaying Games with its own subforum
Trog's and Inari's are still around, though you'll find everything else has changed about it

Rockphed
2016-05-22, 01:03 PM
Nah, I kept up with that. Needed some laughs. Wish I could find some more really good webcomics to keep up with, though. Any recommendations? So far all I've found that I like are Girl Genius and Zebra Girl, and that last one is slow as hell to update.

Look in the webcomics sub forum for comic recommendations.

As for what has changed, homebrew now has more structure and a general worldbuilding sub forum. Speaking of subforums, the rpg forum now has subforums for various games. That way you can look at only threads for games you are interested in.

Togath
2016-05-25, 06:02 PM
There's also a subsection of the general roleplaying games area for 5E Dungeons and Dragons now, with Pathfinder joining the 3e/3.5 section.

Rockphed
2016-05-25, 09:19 PM
There's also a subsection of the general roleplaying games area for 5E Dungeons and Dragons now, with Pathfinder joining the 3e/3.5 section.

10 years ago there were no subdivisions for 3e vs 4e vs other games. That came about after 4e came out back in 2009 and there were massive flamewars between the 3e orthodoxy and the 4e progressives. For a while any thread about either system quickly turned into an argument about how whichever system was wrong and its users should feel bad. Then they made the sub-forums and enforced things going in the right place and things got much less hectic.