PDA

View Full Version : Hurl Through Hell Question

Elite Hatter
2016-05-21, 06:09 PM
So a friend and I were discussing warlock and we came upon a question. How does hurl through hell work? In regards to Crit, It's worded similarly like poisons, sneak attack, and paladin smites.

So if the triggering attack crits, is it 20d10?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-05-21, 06:16 PM
I"m not sure it can crit. The damage takes place the next turn, after all.

Elite Hatter
2016-05-21, 06:20 PM
I"m not sure it can crit. The damage takes place the next turn, after all.

Yes, but the trigger is on the attack that hits, this is why im confused.

The1exile
2016-05-21, 06:44 PM
I don't think so. I think of it as a kicker ability unrelated to the original attack, not an always-on bonus like sneak attack. Considering it's a 'screw this guy in particular' ability anyway though I wouldn't mind ruling it as crittable if it made the game more fun for the Warlock.

Toadkiller
2016-05-21, 06:45 PM
Hmmm- that's a bunch of crit damage. But not very often. Not sure what I would rule.

Foxhound438
2016-05-21, 06:47 PM
in that cast the 10d10 is not added to the attack's damage, so no crit. Abilities that do say "the attack deals an extra (amount) damage", or something like that, but the damage for hurl is in no way affected by the original hit.

Imdeadagain
2016-05-22, 12:19 PM
I can imagine a situation where a particularly cruel DM, after the creature is 'hurled through hell', has it appear and yell, 'Again, Again, that was FUN!!!!'

At that point the party should exit, stage left....

Belac93
2016-05-22, 12:41 PM
I don't think it can crit.

JNAProductions
2016-05-22, 12:43 PM
I would say it cannot. Ask your DM, of course, but the general consensus here seems to be the RAW says no. (RAI is probably aligned with RAW here.)

EvilestWeevil
2016-05-22, 04:58 PM
The description seems to indicate that it is separate from the attack itself, so I would say no.

uraniumrooster
2016-05-22, 05:34 PM
Hurl Through Hell isn't added to the damage of the attack, so no doubling on a crit.

Once per turn, you can deal an extra Xd6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if [conditions].

You are adding extra damage dice directly to your attack's damage roll, so they get doubled on a critical hit. The keywords to look for are "extra damage when you hit", "add to the attack's damage roll", or similar wording, which can be found in other abilities like Divine Smite (Paladin), Divine Strike (Cleric), Hex, Hunter's Mark, and certain Combat Maneuvers.

...when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to instantly transport the target through the lower plains.
At the end of your next turn, the target returns... If the target is not a fiend, it takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from its horrific experience.

The damage is caused by the target's journey through the lower plains, not treated as extra damage added to your attack's damage roll. So, the 10d10 from Hurl Through Hell is not doubled, even if the attack that triggered the ability was a critical hit.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-23, 01:05 AM
The deal killer is that the Hurl Through Hell ability itself doesn't actually require an attack roll; the player decides whether to use it (or not!) after they've already hit. So no chance of a critical hit.

Foxhound438
2016-05-23, 01:44 AM
The deal killer is that the Hurl Through Hell ability itself doesn't actually require an attack roll; the player decides whether to use it (or not!) after they've already hit. So no chance of a critical hit.

this is only partly correct, correct in that it doesn't hit but not in why. Divine smite for example does, and also says use after hitting, the difference being that smite adds damage to the attack, while hurl does damage separately.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-05-23, 08:01 PM
this is only partly correct, correct in that it doesn't hit but not in why. Divine smite for example does, and also says use after hitting, the difference being that smite adds damage to the attack, while hurl does damage separately.

Hmm, yes. Good point.