PDA

View Full Version : Best class for concept based Fire Genasi?

bunnynoah
2016-05-21, 11:27 PM
As the title says, I'm leaning more for a RP build than a mechanically superior build. How would you fluff one?

Daishain
2016-05-21, 11:38 PM
Probably the simplest approach would be to take a Red/Gold Dragonblood sorcerer and refluff the abilities to match a heritage stemming from the elemental plane of fire rather than dragons. Aside from the ability points not being a match, it isn't a truly weak build either.

Change the bonus language to primordial, and the bonus on charisma checks to apply with elementals. Resilience hardens your skin with chips of volcanic rock rather than scale, main portion of elemental affinity remains unchanged, and I'd let the secondary bonus of affinity stack up for 75% damage reduction. Draconic presence can probably remain unchanged aside from fluff.

Dragon Wings is a little tougher. Fire elementals aren't really known for flight or mobility options in general. If you aren't going to reach level 14 or plan to multiclass out, it doesn't matter, but if otherwise, you might want to think of an appropriate replacement (or just say screw it and give your genasi flight)

Tanarii
2016-05-21, 11:52 PM
If you want to play to your heritage, Sorcerer. Dragon origin, re fluff it as elemental origin.

If you want to be more furtive and hide from your origin, Rogue, Arcane Trickster.

Also, mechanically a Fire Genasi would make a good Str or Dex & Int Eldritch Knight using offensive spells. Make sure to take lots of fire ones. ;)

If you want to appear human sometimes, good backgrounds for any of these would be Urchin or Charlatan. You could use Disguise Kits to appear human, and charlatan could have a False Identity based as a full human. Also any of these classes can pick up Disguise Self.

bunnynoah
2016-05-22, 12:00 AM
Well it says in PC_EE that FG's embrace their heritage, so the refluff Sorc. isn't looking to bad.

Even though Sorc. is pretty bad.

Gastronomie
2016-05-22, 12:42 AM
Sorcerers are far from bad. I wouldn't say they're superior to Wizards, but it still has its pros, and it's not a Four-Elements Monk or something. It's you who said you value RP potential over mechanical superiority - what you're saying is contradictory and makes no sense. It will make a lot of people angry - stop it.

Re-fluffed Draconic Sorcerer is the most obvious choice, but you could be an Eldritch Knight utilizing Green-Flame Blade (re-fluffed to be a color of your liking) as well. Coincidentally, it even works together with the CON+2, INT+1.

Specter
2016-05-22, 12:45 AM
A man so obssessed with his origins that he is determined to search for whatever is necessary to bring the full potency of his fire to life.

In other words, pyromaniac wizard.

bunnynoah
2016-05-22, 12:48 AM
You had me a pyromaniac. :smallbiggrin:

Also, sorry for the disgrace of the Sorc.

Naanomi
2016-05-22, 01:16 AM
An evoker heavily invested in fire spells is the mechanically sound choice but... Other options: 'purity through fire' vengeance paladin with elemental weapon'; fire worshiping cleric of light; moon Druid looking to go 'full elemental' at higher level

Celcey
2016-05-22, 05:34 AM
I see Fire Gensi as very cool and intellectual, and just burning (pun intended) to prove themselves to their Genie parent. I think this works really well with a wizard trying to prove their worth with cool exotic magic and items, or a fighter trying to prove themselves as the bes of their parent's warriors. This could work with the EK, where you also have a bit of that magic prowess, or the BM, where that extra int really fits thematically as a battle commander type person.

Sillybird99
2016-05-22, 08:15 AM
A light cleric of Lathan Der could have what you are looking for. A few fire based arcane spells and all the radiant famished sacred spells.

Belac93
2016-05-22, 09:50 AM
I like an Eldritch Knight character (that may just be me liking gishes). Not so sure about fluff, but the mental image on a fire-shooting swordsperson is just too awesome. Make sure to take greenflame blade, if you can.

Hrugner
2016-05-22, 09:53 AM
I think I'd refluff undying light warlock as contact with his primordial soul or some such. He's trying to awaken his ancestral blood in a more direct manner than a sorcerer who just lets it come to them.