PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gestalt Help

Saitox
2016-05-22, 03:42 PM
Hello! I'm running a pathfinder game where people can make gestalt characters. If you're not certain what that means you simply take two classes and combine them into one taking the best BAB, skill points, hit die, saves, etc from the two of them. I last read of it in one of the 3.5 books years ago for the last 3.5 campaign I ran. It went well and we decided to give it another shot with pathfinder. One of the players would like to be an aegis and a synthesist summoner. He's going for an extremis Iron Man type character. I'm not sure however after reading both classes if the astral suit armor would stack with the armor from the eidolon. Does anyone know? Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day.

grarrrg
2016-05-22, 04:36 PM
One of the players would like to be an aegis and a synthesist summoner. He's going for an extremis Iron Man type character. I'm not sure however after reading both classes if the astral suit armor would stack with the armor from the eidolon. Does anyone know?

It works, but his Aegis>Astral Suit would be limited to the "Skin" option whenever he's also wearing his Eidolon-suit.

Relevant rules, Summoner:
"An eidolon cannot wear armor of any kind, as the armor interferes with the summoner’s connection to the eidolon."
"While fused with his eidolon, the synthesist can use all of his own abilities and gear, except for his armor. "

Aegis:
"The aegis can select from three different types when forming his astral suit— skin, armor, or juggernaut"
"When formed into astral armor, an astral suit resembles masterwork chainmail and is treated as such for all mechanical purposes"
"When formed into astral juggernaut, an astral suit resembles masterwork half-plate and is treated as such for all mechanical purposes."

Florian
2016-05-22, 04:48 PM
Hello! I'm running a pathfinder game where people can make gestalt characters.

Right now, there are no Pathfinder-specific Gestalt rules, so some very weird things can happen.

Keep in mind that some archetypes are a Gestalt of their own, as is VMC.
What you mention borders on "overstacking", meaning a combination where 1+1 = 3 from the get-go, some thing that can not be wanted, even using Gestalt rules.

Saitox
2016-05-22, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! :) We plan to try to play on Tuesday so it really helped. I explained to him how the ecto-armor would be eaten by the eidolon armor. His new idea is an aegis/wizard because he wants to enchant it himself. Is this possible as the astral suit somewhat counts as consistent armor and its medium and heavy forms function as certain armors mechanically? Or does the fact that it isn't a constant item since he needs to "goop up" stop it from being enchanted by effects?

I'm sorry Florian I'm not sure what VMC means. You are right though that I wouldn't want to have a situation where 1 + 1 = 3.