PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Solo D&D

Mythune
2016-05-22, 07:39 PM
Lately my D&D group have not been able to come to D&D night, I have have had to make up my own thing. It is kind of like the part in the DM guide fifth edition were you can roll a die and it tells you what happens. So you can use a character you already have or you can make one. Personally I like to make my character start with a job so I roll a D20 and what it lands on I decide.

1-5 works at a Tavern
6-10 works in an armour shop
11-15 kings army
16-20 Kings guard.

So once I have my job I decide what will happen personally using the same thing.

Eg.
1-5 angry Orc approaches
6-10 man approaches
11-15 nice halfling skips towards me
16-20 King approaches

I usually make it the worst thing is 1-5 and the best is 16-20 and the others build up to it.

I will post more if people have questions about things.

Douche
2016-05-23, 11:05 AM
This seems like an interesting Idea. Do you roleplay the orcs as well?

Usually when I do this I find myself too convincing as the orc and persuade myself to join the orcs cause to inflict strife on humanity

Whyrocknodie
2016-05-23, 12:59 PM
You should make a check to see if there's been an earthquake. Each round.

JeenLeen
2016-05-23, 01:08 PM
Do you play out the fight if angry orcs approach, or use dice role or rp to determine what happens?

I recall I tried playing chess against myself sometimes when I was learning, and it usually wound up fun but was tactically difficult to really challenge myself since I knew what I was thinking.

---
I've thought a few times of trying to program something like this as a short text-based game, but I haven't really thought of a concept I think I would find fun.

I'd like to hear the flow of one session of playing the game like this. What was a plot and the resolution (including resolution mechanic)?

Mythune
2016-05-23, 01:48 PM
This seems like an interesting Idea. Do you roleplay the orcs as well?

Usually when I do this I find myself too convincing as the orc and persuade myself to join the orcs cause to inflict strife on humanity

Yeah I like to roleplay as my potential enemies. When I do I like to decide wether they would be good or bad, so roll the dice.

1-10 bad
11-20 good

Don't forget to look out for a Solo D&D part 2 were I will go into more detail about how I do fights and other things people might wonder how to do solo.

Mythune
2016-05-23, 01:50 PM
You should make a check to see if there's been an earthquake. Each round.

Don't forget, you can do that! Because it is your game your rules! It is just these are some things I have come up with. But I will try out the earthquake each round, it seems fun. Or maybe I could try a tornado as well.
Don't forget to look out for solo D&D part 2

Mythune
2016-05-23, 09:37 PM
Do you play out the fight if angry orcs approach, or use dice role or rp to determine what happens?

I recall I tried playing chess against myself sometimes when I was learning, and it usually wound up fun but was tactically difficult to really challenge myself since I knew what I was thinking.

---
I've thought a few times of trying to program something like this as a short text-based game, but I haven't really thought of a concept I think I would find fun.

I'd like to hear the flow of one session of playing the game like this. What was a plot and the resolution (including resolution mechanic)?

Yes you can play out the fight by rolling a d20 to determine the AC and then roll for his/her health. If it is an enormous enemy eg. Tiamat that you can times the number rolled by 10 ect...

I will post more rules and a play through in Solo D&D part 2. Don't forget to tell people about this version of D&D and tell them about the page!

goto124
2016-05-24, 02:09 AM
Solo DnD as in you're both the GM and the sole player?

Why not play one of the DnD CRPGs?

Mythune
2016-05-24, 02:43 AM
Solo DnD as in you're both the GM and the sole player?

Why not play one of the DnD CRPGs?

Is a CRPGs a pre made adventure or a computer generated one?
If so then I think that you lose something. I feel like when I play Solo D&D that I have a choice of what happens but still not know what will happen. If you want you can Try solo D&D and post another comment or reply to this one about how you found the game.
If you have any questions about the rules I will answer any questions in Solo D&D part 2 which will come out sometime in the next few days.

RazorChain
2016-05-24, 03:27 AM
I played solo as well but I got so angry at the GM that I quit playing

Mythune
2016-05-24, 03:29 AM
I played solo as well but I got so angry at the GM that I quit playing

As in you got angry at yourself!?

RazorChain
2016-05-24, 03:43 AM
As in you got angry at yourself!?

Well yeah! My GM never made a real adventure, he just relied on random tables and it got boring really fast. My GM got bored as well and just killed my character. That made me upset.

Mythune
2016-05-24, 03:21 PM
Well yeah! My GM never made a real adventure, he just relied on random tables and it got boring really fast. My GM got bored as well and just killed my character. That made me upset.

In this one you get to create different outcomes yourself and the dice decide which one! So you can make the adventure perfect for you!