PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up an Eberron campaign

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-26, 07:27 PM
Hi, I'm running a long-ish Eberron campaign in a month or two and I've begun writing it up. Problem is, I'm having some trouble starting it up.

Basically, what I've got so far is the meat of the plot (intrigue-based, BBEG is a member of House Cannith with aspirations of becoming the patriarch of the house, with long-term ambitions of owning all of Khorvaire), and what's going to happen in the very beginning (murder in Sharn, it's like starting in a tavern in normal D&D).

The victim was a member of the Brelish Dark Lanterns and a past patron of the PCs. So far, I'm trying to decide who killed him and how close they are to the meat of the plot.

The BBEG has plenty of dark secrets to have secret agents sniffing about, but they're a bit too high level for what the PCs will be starting at (3rd).

What I need to figure out right now is a group responsible for the murder that's connected to the BBEG, either by proxy or directly. Funny thing is I already know the reason for murder, the guy was too close to a secret that threatened the group, I just don't have a group yet.

I would like some help at this point. If you need more information, I'll be happy to provide, thanks.

Miraqariftsky
2007-06-26, 09:52 PM
Warforged cabal working for the Lord of Blades who is a close associate of your BBEG?

Emerald Claw?

Dreaming Dark?

Xoriat?

Rakshasas?

Simplicity! Why not make the group responsible for the murder?

Oh, how about reading some of the novels and taking inspiration from them?

Piccamo
2007-06-26, 09:55 PM

Pish posh! Reading is for peasants! When was the last time they really inspired someone, except to write another book? :smalltongue:

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-27, 11:09 AM
Warforged cabal working for the Lord of Blades who is a close associate of your BBEG?

Emerald Claw?

Dreaming Dark?

Xoriat?

Rakshasas?

I'm sensing some patronization here, and with good reason. Asking for help choosing an evil-esque organization in Eberron is like saying I'm too lazy to fish in the bucket.

That's one of his dark secrets, good guess. I've got that planned already for later.

Emerald Claw?

The BBEG doesn't trust puppet organizations led by uber-powerful lich queens. He's trying to avoid detection by such beings by acting as a low-level player in House Cannith's hierarchy until the time is right (i.e.: he's got the power to protect himself from level 16 wizard half-dragon lich queens with entire legions of horrid creatures at her disposal.)

Dreaming Dark?

Already have their place in my campaign well thought-out, too.

Xoriat?

See Dreaming Dark.

Rakshasas

This is the one group you mentioned that I honestly hadn't thought much about. I do read a lot of the Eberron books (the only series I've read straight through is The Lost Mark) and in the ones that I've read they don't come into play often and I forget they're a viable force. Plus I don't like the Demon Wastes that much and I gloss over it most of the time.

I could make the group up, but in all honesty, that seems lazy to me. Weird I know, but I prefer taking a setting as-is and working with what I've got. Only stuff I mess with is what they intentionally leave vague for just that reason (Day of Mourning, Lord of Blades, etc...)

GimliFett
2007-06-27, 11:13 AM
Hey, KP: How 'bout the Aurum? They're greedy and they have to protect their interests. And what's not to love about dwarves pulling strings behind the scenes? :)

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-27, 11:51 AM
Hmmm...the 'ol Aurum. I completely forgot about them. I could use them, yeah. I was leaning towards a double-agent in the Dark Lanterns, but the Aurum seem a better choice, now.

I'll think on this development, thanks.

GimliFett
2007-06-27, 11:59 AM
Yay! I contributed! ;)
My pleasure, KP. Good luck.