PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 2nd level clerics and bonus actions - do they get one?

Finback
2016-05-22, 11:22 PM
Indulge me if this ends up being as dumb as a bag of hammers, but I'm somewhat new to 5e - most of my players are aware of their bonus actions, but my cleric seems to think she can cast cure light wounds as a bonus action - which to me hands out a lot of healing in a short space.

Is she reading it wrong, or have I missed something?

uraniumrooster
2016-05-22, 11:26 PM
Cure Wounds is a full Action, so you're right.

If she means Healing Word, that is a Bonus Action. However, if she casts Healing Word (or any other Bonus Action spell), she can't cast another spell that turn other than a Cantrip.

Finback
2016-05-22, 11:34 PM
If she means Healing Word, that is a Bonus Action. However, if she casts Healing Word (or any other Bonus Action spell), she can't cast another spell that turn other than a Cantrip.

Ahah, that is what I think she meant; her general modus operandi is "smash itinna face", then "heal someone".

Thank you!

Malifice
2016-05-22, 11:51 PM
Ahah, that is what I think she meant; her general modus operandi is "smash itinna face", then "heal someone".

Thank you!

Only heals a d4 from memory though.

thebiglost1
2016-05-22, 11:58 PM

Thank you!

Which she can do if using healing word. Does d4 per spell level plus wisdom mod, a bit more if she's life spec.

uraniumrooster
2016-05-23, 12:04 AM

Thank you!

Yep, in that case she's fine. Attacking with her Action then casting Healing Word with her Bonus Action is legit. Healing Word does do less healing than Cure Wounds though, but it can also be cast from a distance while Cure Wounds has a range of touch.

Regarding Bonus Actions in general, any character can use one Bonus Action on their turn, so long as they have an ability that grants them a Bonus Action (like a spell with a casting time of 1 Bonus Action, an Off-hand Attack, etc). However, they can only use one Bonus Action per turn, even if Hasted or Action Surging, and Bonus Actions can't be converted to normal Actions or vice versa.

KorvinStarmast
2016-05-23, 10:34 AM
Only heals a d4 from memory though.

d4 + wisdom bonus

Rysto
2016-05-23, 10:46 AM
Healing Word is a good spell for picking up a PC from 0HP, but she doesn't have enough spell slots to be casting it frequently. Do note that at level 3 she gets the Spiritual Weapon spell, which takes a BA to cast and then allows a spell attack as a BA each round for the duration. It's a great spell.

Inevitability
2016-05-23, 10:58 AM
Maybe she's interpreting 'bonus action' as 'extra action'? Still a moot point as you don't have a bonus action unless something lets you spend it, but it may explain her conviction.

Blue Wizrobe
2016-05-23, 06:42 PM
Possibly worth noting - Shield of Faith and Sanctuary are both also spells that are castable by a 2nd level Cleric as a bonus action. Then, as was mentioned, at 3rd level she would gain access to Spiritual Weapon, which is a pretty reliable "always prepare" spell to keep handy for concentration-free bonus action fun. Sanctuary is a nice, concentration-free defensive buff for herself if she needs to drop into heal mode for a tough fight, or to give a friendly non-combatant a little extra safety from direct attacks. I have yet to use Shield of Faith... too many other things competing for my Concentration, but it is still another viable bonus action.

MaxWilson
2016-05-23, 07:15 PM
Possibly worth noting - Shield of Faith and Sanctuary are both also spells that are castable by a 2nd level Cleric as a bonus action. Then, as was mentioned, at 3rd level she would gain access to Spiritual Weapon, which is a pretty reliable "always prepare" spell to keep handy for concentration-free bonus action fun. Sanctuary is a nice, concentration-free defensive buff for herself if she needs to drop into heal mode for a tough fight, or to give a friendly non-combatant a little extra safety from direct attacks. I have yet to use Shield of Faith... too many other things competing for my Concentration, but it is still another viable bonus action.

Sanctuary is also potentially interesting for a grappler, depending on how your DM views "attacks," because Sanctuary protects you from "attacks" and also breaks if you attack. There's two schools of thought on this:

(1) The PHB says explicitly that when in doubt, things that have attack rolls are attacks, and things without them aren't. By this standard, grappling is not an attack and does not interact with Sanctuary, but it does protect the grappler from whatever he is grappling while everything else kills it.

(2) The PHB introduces grappling by saying it's a special melee "attack". It certainly occurs during the Attack action, and it benefits from Extra Attack, but this view says that grappling should also be considered an attack for purposes of spells like Sanctuary.

Which interpretation a DM picks probably depends on whether he thinks of grappling as a nonviolent alternative to weapons use, or an aggressive action in and of itself which Sanctuary interprets the same as a knife-thrust. But it's certainly worth asking your DM which view he takes. Either one will impact certain scenarios in which you might otherwise want to Sanctuary.

Ruslan
2016-05-23, 07:27 PM
Sanctuary is also potentially interesting for a grappler, depending on how your DM views "attacks," because Sanctuary protects you from "attacks" and also breaks if you attack. There's two schools of thought on this:

(1) The PHB says explicitly that when in doubt, things that have attack rolls are attacks, and things without them aren't. By this standard, grappling is not an attack and does not interact with Sanctuary, but it does protect the grappler from whatever he is grappling while everything else kills it.The key part here is "when in doubt".

(2) The PHB introduces grappling by saying it's a special melee "attack". It certainly occurs during the Attack action, and it benefits from Extra Attack, but this view says that grappling should also be considered an attack for purposes of spells like Sanctuary.There you go. There is no doubt. You are not in doubt. Item (1) does not apply.

MaxWilson
2016-05-23, 08:44 PM
There you go. There is no doubt. You are not in doubt. Item (1) does not apply.

And if you were my DM, I'd shrug and roll with that.

Did you post just to prove that it's controversial?

Zalabim
2016-05-24, 03:25 AM
And if you were my DM, I'd shrug and roll with that.

Did you post just to prove that it's controversial?

It is not controversial, anymore. JC has already made an answer about the special attacks still being attacks, despite not making attack rolls, because they say that they are attacks.

It also might be worth pointing out that the rule says this:

If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: If you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack.

and does not explicitly say this:

things without attack rolls aren't attacks

Armored Walrus
2016-05-24, 11:45 AM
If you're wondering whether grappling is an attack, have a friend who's bigger than you put you in a headlock while you try to prevent him from doing so. I think you'll interpret the result as an attack. :P

Fighting_Ferret
2016-05-24, 12:19 PM
You know Grappling and Shoving are both in the Chapter 9 Combat, under the heading Making an Attack. Both have wording that says:

Grappling
When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

Shoving a Creature
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

LordVonDerp
2016-05-24, 01:46 PM
Healing Word is a good spell for picking up a PC from 0HP, but she doesn't have enough spell slots to be casting it frequently.

It's a 2 point difference between healing word an cure wounds, it's hardly a difference.

Rysto
2016-05-24, 01:52 PM
It's a 2 point difference between healing word an cure wounds, it's hardly a difference.

Uh, I never said anything about Cure Wounds?