PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate boss for a 4 pc, Level 1 encounter?

Rawk
2016-05-23, 06:24 AM
Hi,
So me and my 4 friends have just finished our first D&D 5e session. We all have no experience with 5e and very little with other editions. I am the DM and i am using a prebuilt adventure. The Boss for this encounter is (1 custom necromancer challenge rating: 2) (3 skeletons) and (2 skeletons with longbows). I feel like this is too tough for 4 level 1 PCs and was wondering if i could have some advice on how to make it easier (if it needs to be).

Thanks!

Rawk

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-23, 06:50 AM
wondering if i could have some advice

As a starting point, read page 82 of the DMG. A 'deadly' encounter for 4no level 1 PCs is 400 XP. That means:

1no CR 2 monster, or
1no CR 1 monster and 1no CR 1/2 monster, or
1no CR 1 monster and 2no CR 1/4 monsters, or
3no CR 1/2 monsters, or
4no CR 1/4 monsters, or
7no CR 1/8 monsters

So at a glance, your proposal is way too much. A single CR 2 monster will give the party problems at this level.

Beyond the basic maths, be aware that monsters that synergise well will be more dangerous than the sum of their challenge ratings would imply. Also take into account the terrain. Four goblin archers hidden on a forested ridge 100 feet above the PCs are much more dangerous than the same four goblins in... pretty much any other situation.

MrFahrenheit
2016-05-23, 07:04 AM
Of the options the above poster listed, I'd recommend taking 1xCR 1 + 2xCR 1/4.

Reason being you'll find that at later levels, the party begins to outpace any reasonable solos for their level, so may as well get started on multi enemy encounters early on.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-23, 07:14 AM
Of the options the above poster listed

I should point out to the OP: those are just a small sample of the potential options. Once you start involving CR 1/4 and CR 1/8, things open up exponentially.

Another random tip: the general feeling on this forum is that a balanced party of well-built characters under the control of tactically-astute players will have little trouble with a deadly encounter, and may not even find a full day of deadly encounters especially challenging. As the DM, you have every right to crank up the monsters if you think that your players will enjoy that.

Rawk
2016-05-23, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice!
If i put a detur in the quest so the characters are level 2 before fighting the boss and take away the two archer skeletons, would this be good for the party?

The party is currently: a monk, a cleric, a druid, and a wizard so they would definitely benefit from the extra spell slota.

Thanks

Rawk

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-23, 07:53 AM
If i put a detur in the quest so the characters are level 2 before fighting the boss and take away the two archer skeletons, would this be good for the party?

Yeah, a CR 2 necromancer and 3no CR 1/4 skeletons should be a fair challenge for a level 2 party.

Assuming the necromancer really is CR 2. If all its spells are buffs to support the skeletons, its CR won't reflect the amount of difficulty it adds.

Rawk
2016-05-23, 07:59 AM
Well thats what im going to do.
Thanks for your help!
This is my first D&D experience and the community is great!
Thanks again.
Rawk