PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rob's Rebalanced Weapons Table and System

ZX6Rob
2016-05-23, 05:44 PM
Hi, everyone,

I thought I would share this with the Playground. This is the homebrewed, rebalanced table of weapons that my table will be using for upcoming 5th Edition games, as well as an explanation of the basic and simple system that I used to come up with it. This system is pretty straightforward and allows me as the DM (or any of my more mechanically-minded players) to come up with weapons that suit nearly any character concept while still remaining balanced. It also introduces a couple of small house-rules intended for use with the system.

I've seen some similar systems here and there, and I think another poster here did something very similar to this. I was unable to find that work, however, so I just built my own system.

Check it out here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bbW4OVfDiYgqele8m71y4EytbLOyblxG-hbJC0YVpQU/pub) and let me know what you think.

Markoff Chainey
2016-05-24, 09:14 AM
Hi!

I like it much more than the original!!

I am one of the people who changed the weapon table too and ranted about the original one a lot...

At first, I tried to come up with a list of attributes and adjustments for the weapons. - For this, I also introduced 2 more steps and not just d4/d6/d8/d10/d12 - but used d4/d6/d8/d10/2d4/d12/2d6; After a lot of thinking, I changed those calculated values slightly when I felt that although the weapon looks balanced from a formula standpoint, but still nobody sane would ever use it or if it was just outstandingly good. IMO the price is a bad balance criteria but for very low standard weapons.

Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAnGT2ETnb9mlRwNeUo3zr77rptt50HBLa7EZz5HdlA/edit?usp=sharing)is the link to our list. In the second tab you find a description for the attributes. One of the main things that I like about our list (besides the obvious being more balanced) is that "heavy" now has a real disadvantage (Initiative -2) and is not just a disadvantage for certain chars.

I like the additional weapons on your list, I dislike that some weapons give straight advantage on disarm - I think that is a huge advantage and I think you would be better off with a +2 modifier or something.

My advise for anybody generating such a list (I do not know if you did or not, just saying out of the experience from writing my own) is: Go through the list and think about any entry - "Who would use that over any other weapon?" - If the answer is too broad, nerf it, if the answer is too narrow, improve it and stay within certain independant limits.