PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Uncany Dodge Vs. Sneak Attack

theboss
2016-05-23, 05:44 PM
Starting at 4th/2th level, a rogue/barbarian can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a rogue/barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.

So let's say somone is sneaking to the Rogue/barbarian, is he immune to that form of sneak attack?
Also, i didn't quite undetstood what caught flat-footed means, there're alot of meanings for it ; such as Flanked, Surprised and etc...
Can someone simplify it to me please?

Thanks in advance!

HolyDraconus
2016-05-23, 05:55 PM
So let's say somone is sneaking to the Rogue/barbarian, is he immune to that form of sneak attack?
Also, i didn't quite undetstood what caught flat-footed means, there're alot of meanings for it ; such as Flanked, Surprised and etc...
Can someone simplify it to me please?

Thanks in advance!
To answer.
No.
Flat footed simply means in this situation unable to fully act. Dex bonus is denied (usually).

Zancloufer
2016-05-23, 06:03 PM
I would say sometimes. I mean read sneak attack:

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

So Uncanny dodge means that even if caught in a surprise round, or if struck by an invisible attacker they still retain their Dex bonus to AC. So as long as the character isn't immobilized they cannot be subject to sneak attack.

Still subject to sneak attack from things like balancing on marbles and flanking, but not by surprise/invisible enemies.

theboss
2016-05-23, 06:19 PM

So Uncanny dodge means that even if caught in a surprise round, or if struck by an invisible attacker they still retain their Dex bonus to AC. So as long as the character isn't immobilized they cannot be subject to sneak attack.

Still subject to sneak attack from things like balancing on marbles and flanking, but not by surprise/invisible enemies.

Great answer, thanks.

And for another question, Is there a magic item which grants that sort of thing?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-23, 06:49 PM
There are some ways to get Uncanny Dodge, including through a feat (Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots)) and a domain (Fate). Magic of Faerūn has a weapon property (Warning, +1) which stops you from losing dex to AC, but doesn't stack with other UD. The DMG has the robe of eyes, which is a bit costly, at 120.000 gp. Foresight will help, but it's a 9th-level spell.

Misereor
2016-05-24, 07:09 AM

And in some cases when attacked by someone 4+ levels higher than the character (in class levels that grant Sneak Attack, obviously).

Crake
2016-05-24, 10:36 AM
And in some cases when attacked by someone 4+ levels higher than the character (in class levels that grant Sneak Attack, obviously).

Incorrect, that only applies to improved uncanny dodge for allowing someone to flank them, it has no bearing whatsoever on being denied their dexterity.