PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Build a Campaign world (oriental adventures)

TheThan
2016-05-23, 08:05 PM
Introduction
Last week or so I decided I wanted to run an oriental adventures campaign. Specifically one based (somewhat loosely) on medieval Japan. I realized I couldn’t just drop players into such a specific setting without some ground on which my players could stand upon; which means I had to build a setting for which to hold my DnD campaign in. Now since I don’t have a deadline to finish this by I can spend as much time as I want on it. After all it’s my setting. I decided it might be fun to take the playground along on this journey of mine and hopefully give players new and old some ideas on how to build a setting.

I’ve already done some of the groundwork and will post up what i've already accomplished. I am open to suggestions if you’ve got a great idea feel free to make a suggestion. Keep in mind this is NOT a community project; if I don’t take your suggestion(s), no hard feelings; I probably won’t respond to everyone either; although I’ll try to address what I can when I can.

The approach I’m using I’ve dubbed “Top Down”. In this approach I will start with some basic ideas to cement in my mind the feel and theme of the world. Then I will draw several maps and fill them in with terrain, locations of interest, cities and other settlements. The goal is to get the lay of the land and hopefully provide the players with adventure hooks. This also gives me the ability to work on step three which will be populating my campaign world. I'm going to skip cosmology, religion etc for now and work on that later; i don't want to get bogged down creating gods and goddesses without even having something tangible to look at.

There’s a whole lot of work to do so let’s get on with it.

Step 1: idea phase

So when I sat down and thought about what I wanted to build my campaign world around these are the thoughts that popped up.

Inspiration: samurai epics such as seven samurai, the hidden fortress, Shogun (a miniseries from the 80s), the blind swordsman films, the last samurai (yeah I know, go with it). You get the idea. No anime here!

System: Pathfinder as a base, with dnd 3.5-3.0 shoved in as needed. Things are kinda messy right now guh. So this is going to take A LOT of work to put together to make something playable. I'm probably going to have to churn out a booklet for players and myself.

Low magic/monsters. Fighting monsters is a fairly rare occurrence; while they will totally make appearances, they will not be common like in normal dnd settings. Most enemies will be human. Likewise, magical enemies will not pop up often. They will totally make appearances though (and probably be tough encounters). This also means I’m going to go light on magic based player classes when I finally get around to that part.

Slow magic. No harry potter wand waving here. Magic should be a laborious process to perform. Powerful but simply slow and time consuming. I can use the magic system from thieves’ world (a 3.something game put out by Green Ronin that's based on a series of shared world novels) to accomplish this but that will take time to convert to pathfinder. Upon further thinking and some research; I decided to drop this idea in favor of the base magic system. That’ a hell of a lot of work that I am not sure I can pull off well enough to warrant it’s use, and it’s not super necessary either.

No race choices. Everyone is going to be stuck as humans. While I could totally go with some fantasy races; I’ve decided not to. This keeps with the low magic feel of the game and helps simplify the setting; no need to build a kitsune culture since they don’t exist as a playable race. I am also hoping this keeps the anime references and wisecracks to a minimum.

Multi-faction war: this is the big one, the campaign I have in mind is based on a war fought between the daimyo for the chance to become Shogun (step down from the Emperor and the guy with the real power). Doing this means I am in need of at least two maps. One regular topographic map and one political map. map making will be step two. i'll post that up in a bit.

TheThan
2016-05-23, 08:09 PM
Step two: Maps

Now that I know I need a minimum of two maps. It’s time to get cracking. I’m not good a drawing but I’ve got a pretty cool work around using Adobe photoshop. My version is rather old so bear with me. Here is the process:

Open a new file and make sure you’re background and foreground colors are set to black and white.
create a new layer and then fill this layer with clouds.
kick the contrast up all the way, this should remove all the grays and leave you with splotches of black and white. These black splotches are continents and you have a solid basis for a map.

You can repeat this process as many times as you want and even overwrite your work if you’re not happy with what you got. After some tinkering around with the bits that run off the edge of the map, this is the map I came up with.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/Base%20map_zpsxfsiwdrp.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/Base%20map_zpsxfsiwdrp.jpg.html)

Looks like an island to me. Now I need to start filling this in with terrain. I used the same process above to generate forests, mountains and just about anything else that I don’t want to look man made. I found liberal use of the magic wand tool to come in handy. It works pretty well. So after a while I came up with this map:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/Topo%20map%20copy_zpsrsklndaa.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/Topo%20map%20copy_zpsrsklndaa.jpg.html)

That’s a nice looking map if I don’t say so myself. It’s got open plains leading into forests that go up snow capped volcanic mountains with some hidden valleys and even a couple of cold mountain lakes. Seems nice.

I’ve already made some important decisions. That big island on the left (west) is going to be called Imperial Island, and is the home of the distant, aloof emperor. Nobody but the emperor, his family and servants (and probably a military host) are allowed to live on the island. It’s probably going to be the seat of government. I figure the Shogun and the Daimyo meet annually to conduct government there. yeah it sucks to have to travel, but he’s the emperor he gets what he wants.

I’ve also made some other decisions; the bottom third or so of the main island is going to be somewhat subtropical, allowing for rainforest and beautiful (and mysterious) cloud forests up in the mountains. The central third is going to be temperate, since it’s mostly plains; it’s naturally good farm land. While the northern third is going to be sub-arctic, leading into Taiga up in the north. I’ll fill in rivers and swamps later.

Now that I’ve got a nice topo map. I need a political map. However I have to decide several things. Most importantly, how many provinces should this island be divided into? I’ve settled arbitrarily on 12. Since there are twelve months in a year, the Chinese zodiac has 12 animals associated with it; you get the idea. It also makes for very in depth political game as each faction vies for power. The number of provinces also dictates how many Daimyo are going to exist. Since the war I have planed in my head is between the Daimyo. So 12 Daimyo and 12 corresponding provinces. This is what I’ve come up with.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/political%20map_zpsody99mt7.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/political%20map_zpsody99mt7.jpg.html)

Not bad. Yeah these aren’t all exactly equal, but that makes things interesting. I’m pretty much done with step 2 for now. Fortunately I can revisit these maps any time and update them without too much effort.

TheThan
2016-05-23, 08:29 PM
step 3: populating

Step three is populating my newly created world. Which I’m currently stuck on. more on that later.

Step three is going to be a loooong process and it will take me some time to finish.
The first thing I’ve done is name my 12 Daimyo. These names I’ve pulled completely out of my tailpipe, and they do not represent any actual person. If you happen to share a name, well then I’m sorry about that. I’ve tried to avoid names that will spark any really obvious anime references or generally bad jokes. I totally do not mean to be offensive.

The second thing I’ve done is assign each Daimyo a color representing his territory (province) on my political map. Then I named each province. Unfortunately I don’t speak Japanese; however I’ve watched enough anime and samurai epics to get a feel of what the language “sounds” like. A brief internet search later found me a magnificent random name generator. Now I’m sure the names this is churning up is total gibberish to a person who speaks Japanese. I’m totally ok with this.

After some consideration and a lot of random name generation I’ve named my provinces. This generator makes names in multiple pseudo-languages of vague oriental flair. The first three are fake Japanese (followed by fake Chinese and i think fake Mongolian) by admission of the makers; and they do have that Japanese feel; which is what I’m looking for. I think I’m going to get a lot of mileage out of this random name maker.

Color
province name
Daimyo

Green
Honsaki
Akira Yamamoto

[tr]
Dark Red
Hayaraha
Haru Hamasaki

[tr]
orange
Kumibetsu
Goro Himura

[tr]
yellow
Watanouchi
Hibiki Hondo

[tr]
pink
Iwada
Hitomi Ito

[tr]
red
Enwara
Hiroshi Saito

[tr]
Light blue
Tawaragata
Tsubaki Matsuoka

[tr]
blue
Kumanouchi
Ichiro Kobayashi

[tr]
Purple
Jamibetsu
Jiro Suzuki

[tr]
light orange
Shinouchi
Minato Takahashi

[tr]
turquoise
Nagahoro
Kin’ichi Yoshida

[tr]
Light green
Yokonouchi
Kaede Fujimoto

[tr]

Keep in mind these are done western style first name/last name in order to keep my sanity. I can sense weebo and otaku blood pressure rising as they read those names.

Now that my provinces are named, I can move on to the next step and start populating these provinces. I’ve chosen red, Enwara province to start. This is probably going to be the Daimyo the player characters will work for; and by extension the province they (should) be loyal to.

I need to know the following things: how many settlements there are in the province, the total population, the total gold amount available in the province and the GP limit (for buying equipment etc). It’s climate, any natural defenses (such as narrow mountain passes) that ought to exist (determined by the terrain on the topo map). I also need to determine what sort of preexisting defensive structures (castles etc) exist before the war breaks out. How do I go about figuring this out? I roll dice.

I’ve settled on a D8 for determining how many settlements there are, a D6 seems too few, and a D10 seems like too many so I’ll split the difference. From there I can determine how big these are via the 3.5 DMG (couldn’t find anything on the pathfinder website… or in the pathfinder books I have).

This is where I’ve hit a snag.
The DMG asks me to figure the highest level locals in each town. So now I have to decide what classes will populate my world. So now I have to put step three on hold and figure out what classes are available. I’ll call the class step, step four just to keep from skipping about too much.

Max_Killjoy
2016-05-23, 09:50 PM
Borrowing the Green Ronin Thieves' World magic system wholesale might not be such a bad idea, it's built around d20.

TheThan
2016-05-24, 06:08 PM
Part 4: core and prestige classes

Ok so before i can continue building my world i have to decide what classes are going to populate it. So i've been pouring over the core, base, and
alternate classes presented on the Pathfinder website. below is my thoughts on each; which i've spoiled for your convenience.

Core classes
Barbarian- I can see barbarians in this setting, there are plenty of islands and more than likely isolated places where they can come from. So they are in

Bard – I can also see a place for bards both as a wandering minstrel but also as battlefield leaders, experienced adventurers with a story to tell, all sorts of possibilities here. They are in.

Cleric- I can see clerics filling the roll of priests at temples, (shrine maidens etc), but they are a little too militant with their heavy armor and whatnot. So I’m probably going to use the cloistered cleric variant and put some hard limits on what domains and sub-domains are available for use as well, this limits the class’s weapons and armor options as well as helps emphasize the downplayed magic I’m going for. So they will be in. I heavily considered the 3.5 Shungenja but they are not very inspiring so clerics will be my version of the Shugenja.

Druid- since I’m going to be downplaying magical beasts and I don’t have a need for a second primary divine caster, I think I’m going to drop the druid.

Fighter- since my campaign is going to have a war; I need warriors, so the fighter is in. I imagine them as samurai and professional Ashigaru soldiers. So they are in.

Monk- karate masters? Yes please, spiritual waterfall sitting monks? Yes please. They guys are totally in.

Paladin- I didn’t see a place for paladins at first, I like the idea of the sohei; and a paladin fits thematically but the base paladin abilities don’t seem to line up with what I am looking for. Then I found the Yamabushi archetype for the paladin. This is close enough that I’m going to use it; so I did find a place for it. I’m probably going to rename the class either Yamabushi or Sohei but I’ll worry about that later. (There are issues with the Sohei 3.0 class, I’ll elaborate later)

Ranger- I can totally see the ranger as being military scouts, skirmishers and all around wilderness experts. I’ve always liked rangers, but I hate half casting so instead I’m going to use the Skirmisher archetype/AFC for my Japanese ranger. So they are in.
Rogue- Since rogues are the only ones that can find traps they are just that important to a party; adding them in is necessary. Plus I can play around with Yakuza (Japanese gangsters); which adds another level of depth to the setting. They’re in.

Sorcerer- I see sorcerers as being wild talents, whether they really have a magical bloodline or not, Sorcerers are outliers, hedge wizards basically. Maybe they are feared and shunned by those unfamiliar with them maybe they are prized members of smaller villages. Sorcerers are in.

Wizard- I don’t need wizards now that I have sorcerers. Since I’m trying to de-emphasize magic I don’t feel I need 2 primary arcane casters plus the bard (which is a mix of both) so I don’t feel this class is needed at all. It’s out

Base classes
Alchemist- while the alchemist has some neat abilities; the Dr. Jekyll/Mr Hyde aspect doesn’t fit with the look and feel I’m going with. I could fit them into the role of wandering Apothecaries. But I don’t feel that they add anything significant to the game. If I want an apothecary or pharmacist I can simply use an NPC adept. They’re out.

Cavalier- it’s interesting having a character specializing in mounted combat. but since this is a dnd game, I don’t think specializing in mounted warfare is smart despite the war I’m planning. Besides they don’t really do anything different from the Samurai class below.

Gunslinger- at first I decided against having guns in my campaign setting. But after some more research into the class I figured out how to incorporate it. there is a musket master archetype. Which I’ve decided to use. Japan had access to guns as early as 1543 so there is tons of precedent. So I’ve decided they are indeed in.

Inquisitor-I don’t see the need for inquisitors at all. I already have clerics, paladins and monks to take up all the religious roles so I simply don’t need them. They’re out.

Magus – while I like this class. I have a few front line warriors already, and I’m trying to de-emphasize magic. So having a hybrid fighter/wizard does not help that cause. They’re out.

Oracle- the Oracle is a primary spellcster, I have enough of them for now. I don’t feel the need to add another one; besides thematically he does the same things as a cleric. So I’ll just go with my cleric.

Summoner- another full caster which I’m full up on. Additionally I have no interest in this class at all. it’s out.

Vigilante- Zorro? Well as interesting as this class is, I don’t see the need for it. he’s out.

Witch- the witch class is very interesting I kinda like it and I can see it filling the same role I’ve already given the sorcerer. So I think I’m going to pass on this class. It’s out.

Alternate classes

anti-paladin – pass. It’s out

Ninja – here we go, a ninja class. Ki pool like monk, ninja tricks, sneak attack. I like it. it’s toally in.

Samurai – ahh I mentioned this class above. I don’t really see a reason for both. I like the samurai better, his resolve ability puts him more in the tank role, and that’s good. He’s totally in.

After browsing through the hybrid classes I decided to not include any of them; they are all just variations on the ideas I have above and while neat, I don’t feel adds anything new. So I’m not going to do it.

So here’s the TL;DR list

PC classes
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric (shugenja)
Fighter
Monk
Paladin (Yamabushi /sohei)
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Gunslinger
Ninja
Samurai

I'll work on prestige classes later. for NPC classes I'm just going to use all the available ones, adept, aristocrat, commoner, expert.

Borrowing the Green Ronin Thieves' World magic system wholesale might not be such a bad idea, it's built around d20.

while i could totally do this. building a campaign setting as detailed as this is such a lengthy and work intensive project that modding the spell casting classes i've chosen is just an extra layer of work i have to do. I haven't completely given up on the idea. But for now; it's tabled. I might revisit the idea and see if I can do it once i have more done.

Anyway now that i have my classes sorted out, i can get back to part 3 and finish populating my world.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-24, 06:31 PM
Uh...Am I wrong, or isn't Hitomi a girl's name? I do find it funny she's apparently got the pink domain. Through I could have sworn that I read somewhere that pink was a manly color in Japan...Which does lead to a question. How will gender be treated?

And for the name confusion, I find using given name/surname instead of last name/first name works better, because then it doesn't lead to confusion when your players are expecting it to be the other way around.

snowblizz
2016-05-24, 06:56 PM

I’ve settled on a D8 for determining how many settlements there are, a D6 seems too few, and a D10 seems like too many so I’ll split the difference. From there I can determine how big these are via the 3.5 DMG (couldn’t find anything on the pathfinder website… or in the pathfinder books I have).

Per province? Medieaval Japan had few towns actually. And very low opinions of urban centres in general. The daimyos seat of residence would spawn something of a town around his castle and similarly for important temple complexes. There'd be few urban concentrations for trade and stuff as we see elsewhere like the faux Europe I think D&D is usually repreenting), most people would live in farming villages. I don't know exactly the "rules" for cities and population though I know they've been discussed compared to reality and I think the book's guides were kinda off.

I figure the Shogun and the Daimyo meet annually to conduct government there. yeah it sucks to have to travel, but he’s the emperor he gets what he wants.
You just said the Daimyo are gonna fight for who gets to be Shogun because he's the real power. So why would they bother to go to the Emperor? In reality the Emperor was mostly ignored. When the Warring States period ended on of the hallmarks of this centralisation was that the daimyo had to go to the Shogun, as they did before. Making the defacto capital somewhere else than Emperor's residence makes for a second interesting site of intrigue. Maybe the daimyo only visit the Emperor's island for big religious festival and other times it's basically the Forbiden city. A Warring States scenario also kinda makes the whole daimyo meeting slightly problematic, ie that's more a time of stability thing.

TheThan
2016-05-24, 08:41 PM
Uh...Am I wrong, or isn't Hitomi a girl's name? I do find it funny she's apparently got the pink domain. Through I could have sworn that I read somewhere that pink was a manly color in Japan...Which does lead to a question. How will gender be treated?

It is a female name. A woman Daimyo is uncommon but not unheard of; I figure there have been a couple famous female Daimyo in the past, maybe even a shogun. The color selection just sort of turned out that way haha, I didn’t even realize it. As for gender, I wasn’t going to address it at all. But I figure that they are uncommon but not rare. Men shouldn’t be too surprised to find a woman in armor and sporting a katana.

Per province? Medieaval Japan had few towns actually. And very low opinions of urban centres in general. The daimyos seat of residence would spawn something of a town around his castle and similarly for important temple complexes. There'd be few urban concentrations for trade and stuff as we see elsewhere like the faux Europe I think D&D is usually repreenting), most people would live in farming villages. I don't know exactly the "rules" for cities and population though I know they've been discussed compared to reality and I think the book's guides were kinda off.

Thanks for pointing this out. It gives me a lot more to consider whether D8 is too large or not. Once I determine how many settlements are in a province, I get to figure out what those settlements are.

The dmg 3.5 rules allow for the following village sizes: Thorp (20-80people), hamlet (81-400people), village (401-900 people), small town (901-2,000people), large town (201-5000 people), small city (5001-12,000 people), large city (12001-25000) and metropolis (25000+). After that I get to roll a percentile dice to figure out what each place is. From there my plan was going to be to use an internet randomizer to determine the actual population of each place (picks a random number from that group of numbers).

For example I roll up a town; I get a hamlet (81-400 people). I then use the randomizer to pick a number between 81 and 400. That tells me how many people live in that hamlet. Rinse and repeat until I’m done.

You just said the Daimyo are gonna fight for who gets to be Shogun because he's the real power. So why would they bother to go to the Emperor? In reality the Emperor was mostly ignored. When the Warring States period ended on of the hallmarks of this centralisation was that the daimyo had to go to the Shogun, as they did before. Making the defacto capital somewhere else than Emperor's residence makes for a second interesting site of intrigue. Maybe the daimyo only visit the Emperor's island for big religious festival and other times it's basically the Forbiden city. A Warring States scenario also kinda makes the whole daimyo meeting slightly problematic, ie that's more a time of stability thing.

When a shogun is chosen; he must forfeit all political ties to noble families as well as his title of Daimyo (he can however choose who will replace him as Daimyo) and must swear unbreakable oaths of loyalty and honor to the emperor. This ensures no shogun will usurp the throne and that no shogun will use his position to enhance the position of the noble family he came from.

I imagine that the Shogun lives on Imperial Island along with the emperor. Imperial Island is most likely the seat of power in the nation (despite removed from the nation proper, very much like the position the emperor has, removed from his people). I imagine that the Daimyo must travel there annually to do government in which the Shogun presides over them. I’m thinking the Emperor is supposed to attend these meetings but is not required to and usually doesn’t bother, having grown aloof, distant and generally uncaring (yeah I know not a very nice guy).

Whomever wins will have drawn enough power to himself both militarily and politically (eliminating rivals) to be able to declare himself emperor. Pretty much the entire political and social setup is going to be flipped on its head since the emperor is too weak and uncaring to do something about it. at least that’s what I’ve come up with thus far.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-25, 11:10 AM
How would that island have power over the rest of the place, if it is so remote? It wouldn't have political power without some help. Perhaps spirits talk to the emperor and help him out with that? The emperor could just be dealing with spirits which is why he's so aloof to mortal matters. It might present a nice twist.

snowblizz
2016-05-25, 01:08 PM
How would that island have power over the rest of the place, if it is so remote? It wouldn't have political power without some help. Perhaps spirits talk to the emperor and help him out with that? The emperor could just be dealing with spirits which is why he's so aloof to mortal matters. It might present a nice twist.

Tradition and religion counts for a lot. That's how the Shoguns usurped the Emperor's of Japan. Ultimately noone woulda dared crown themselves emperor, and in fact one of the 3 Great Unifiers (Hideyoshi) didn't even take on the title of Shogun because his background wasn't prominent enough, that is he could not trace his lineage (real or imagined) back to the right families (IIRC the Minamoto, and through them Fujiwara). The final man to take ultimate control of Japan, the Tokugawa shogun could.

TheThan
2016-05-25, 04:05 PM
Tradition and religion counts for a lot. That's how the Shoguns usurped the Emperor's of Japan. Ultimately noone woulda dared crown themselves emperor, and in fact one of the 3 Great Unifiers (Hideyoshi) didn't even take on the title of Shogun because his background wasn't prominent enough, that is he could not trace his lineage (real or imagined) back to the right families (IIRC the Minamoto, and through them Fujiwara). The final man to take ultimate control of Japan, the Tokugawa shogun could.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the angle I was going to play up. I might even go so far as to make the emperor’s rule divinely appointed; making his right to rule absolute although I haven’t even gotten to culture, religion etc yet.

Continued part I.

So I’ve started rolling up Enwara Provence. After generating some settlements, I’ve realized that the D8 that I originally envisioned is a tad bit too large. Well it’s probably ok; but since the size of each settlement is randomly generated, there’s no real way to control how big each one is (unless I fudge things); so I can very easily end up with 4 or so major population centers. So I’ve made some adjustments to my system and continued on using a D6 instead.

After a fair amount of dice rolling, and random generation. I’ve successfully created Enwara Provence.

Enwara Provence
Settlements: 6 total population:18,397. Total gold limit:41,940 gp, total ready cash:29,508,810 gp
Climate: predominantly temperate plains, with 3 aquatic zones, 1 forest zone,
resources: farmland (food export), lakes and ocean (fish and transport)
Exports: produce
Natural defenses: none
Map color- Red

Castles and forts

Yakumoto castle
Honbushi castle
northern lookout
western lookout

Settlements

Yakumoto (Large city)
Population: 14,695
GP limit: 40,000, ready cash: 29,390,000 gold
Power center: conventional x2, magical
Power center alignment: conventional 1: lawful good, conventional 2: lawful evil, magical: true neutral
Population stats:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 13th level barb, 1 12th level barbs, 1 10th level barb, 4 6th level barbs, 2 5th level barbs, 8 3rd level barbs, 4 2nd level barbs , 24 1st level barbs
Bard
1 13th level bard, 1 12th level bard, 1 11th level bard, 4 6th level bards, 2 5th level bards, 8 3rd level bards, 4 2nd level bards 16 1st level bards
Cleric
1 14th level cleric , 1 11th level cleric ,1 10th level cleric, 2 7th level clerics, 4 5th level clerics, 4 3rd level clerics, 8 2nd level clerics, 48 1st level clerics
Fighter
1 17th level fighter, 1 14th level fighter, 1 11th level fighter, 2 8th level fighters, 2 7th level fighters, 2 5th level fighters, 4 4th level fighters, 4 3rd level fighters, 12 2nd level fighters, 32 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
2 12th level gunslinger,1 11th level gunslingers, 3 6th level gunslingers, 12 3rd level gunslingers, 36 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 16th level monk , 1 14th level monk, 1 13th level monk, . 2 8th level monks, 2 7th level monks, 2 6th level monks ,4 4th level monks, 8 3rd level monks , 8 2nd level monks 32 1st level monks
Ninja
1 13th level ninja, 2 11th level ninja, 2 6th level ninja, 4 5th level ninja, 4 3rd level ninja 8 2nd level ninja 24 1st level ninja
Paladin (sohei)
1 12th level paladin, 1 11th level paladin, 1 10th level paladin , 2 6th level paladins, 4 5th level paladins, 4 3rd level paladins, , 8 2nd level paladins, 24 1st level paladins
Ranger
2 11th level rangers, 1 10th level ranger, 6 5th level rangers, 12 2nd level rangers, 24 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 17th level rogue, 1 14th level rogue, 1 11th level rogue, 2 8th level rogues, 2 7th level rogues , 2 5th level rogues , 4 4th level rogues, 4 3rd level rogues 12 2nd level rogues, 32 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 13th level samurai, 2 10th level samurai, 2 6th level samurai, 4 5th level samurai, 4 3rd level samurai, 8 2nd level samurai, 24 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 13th level sorcerer, 1 11th level sorcerer, 1 10th level sorcerer, 2 6th level sorcerers, 4 5th level sorcerers, 4 3rd level sorcerers, 8 2nd level sorcerers , 24 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes

Adept
1 15th level adept, 1 11th level adept, 1 10th level adept, 2 7th level adepts, 4 5th level adepts, 4 3rd level adepts, 8 2nd level adepts , 69 1st level adpets
Aristocrat
1 13th level Aristocrat, 1 11th level Aristocrat, 1 10th level Aristocrat, 2 6th level Aristocrats,4 5th level Aristocrats, 4 3rd level Aristocrats, 8 2nd level Aristocrats, 69 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 23rd level commoner, 1 22nd level commoner, 1 15th level commoner, 4 11th level commoners, 2 7th level commoners, 8 5th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners 16 2nd level commoners, 12654 1st level commoners
Expert
1 19th level expert, 1 18th level expert, 1 15th level expert, 4 9th level experts, 2 7th level expert, 8 4th level experts, 4 3rd level expert, 16 2nd level experts , 417 1st level experts
Warrior
1 17th level warrior, 1 14th level warrior , 1 11th level warrior, 2 8th level warriors, , 2 7th level warriors, 2 5th level warriors, 4 4th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors, 12 2nd level warriors, 695 1st level warriors.

Jamibiro (Small town)
Population: 1,192
Gp limit: 800 , ready cash 47,680
Power center: magical
Power center alignment: lawful good
Population stats

PC classes
Barbarian
1 13th level barb, 1 12th level barbs, 1 10th level barb, 4 6th level barbs, 2 5th level barbs, 8 3rd level barbs, 4 2nd level barbs , 24 1st level barbs
Bard
1 13th level bard, 1 12th level bard, 1 11th level bard, 4 6th level bards, 2 5th level bards, 8 3rd level bards, 4 2nd level bards 16 1st level bards
Cleric
1 14th level cleric , 1 11th level cleric ,1 10th level cleric, 2 7th level clerics, 4 5th level clerics, 4 3rd level clerics, 8 2nd level clerics, 48 1st level clerics
Fighter
1 17th level fighter, 1 14th level fighter, 1 11th level fighter, 2 8th level fighters, 2 7th level fighters, 2 5th level fighters, 4 4th level fighters, 4 3rd level fighters, 12 2nd level fighters, 32 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
2 12th level gunslinger,1 11th level gunslingers, 3 6th level gunslingers, 12 3rd level gunslingers, 36 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 16th level monk , 1 14th level monk, 1 13th level monk, . 2 8th level monks, 2 7th level monks, 2 6th level monks ,4 4th level monks, 8 3rd level monks , 8 2nd level monks 32 1st level monks
Ninja
1 13th level ninja, 2 11th level ninja, 2 6th level ninja, 4 5th level ninja, 4 3rd level ninja 8 2nd level ninja 24 1st level ninja
Paladin (sohei)
1 12th level paladin, 1 11th level paladin, 1 10th level paladin , 2 6th level paladins, 4 5th level paladins, 4 3rd level paladins, , 8 2nd level paladins, 24 1st level paladins
Ranger
2 11th level rangers, 1 10th level ranger, 6 5th level rangers, 12 2nd level rangers, 24 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 17th level rogue, 1 14th level rogue, 1 11th level rogue, 2 8th level rogues, 2 7th level rogues , 2 5th level rogues , 4 4th level rogues, 4 3rd level rogues 12 2nd level rogues, 32 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 13th level samurai, 2 10th level samurai, 2 6th level samurai, 4 5th level samurai, 4 3rd level samurai, 8 2nd level samurai, 24 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 13th level sorcerer, 1 11th level sorcerer, 1 10th level sorcerer, 2 6th level sorcerers, 4 5th level sorcerers, 4 3rd level sorcerers, 8 2nd level sorcerers , 24 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes

Adept
1 15th level adept, 1 11th level adept, 1 10th level adept, 2 7th level adepts, 4 5th level adepts, 4 3rd level adepts, 8 2nd level adepts , 69 1st level adpets
Aristocrat
1 13th level Aristocrat, 1 11th level Aristocrat, 1 10th level Aristocrat, 2 6th level Aristocrats,4 5th level Aristocrats, 4 3rd level Aristocrats, 8 2nd level Aristocrats, 69 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 23rd level commoner, 1 22nd level commoner, 1 15th level commoner, 4 11th level commoners, 2 7th level commoners, 8 5th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners 16 2nd level commoners, 12654 1st level commoners
Expert
1 19th level expert, 1 18th level expert, 1 15th level expert, 4 9th level experts, 2 7th level expert, 8 4th level experts, 4 3rd level expert, 16 2nd level experts , 417 1st level experts
Warrior
1 17th level warrior, 1 14th level warrior , 1 11th level warrior, 2 8th level warriors, , 2 7th level warriors, 2 5th level warriors, 4 4th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors, 12 2nd level warriors, 695 1st level warriors.

Kurizawa (Small town)
Population: 1,581
Gp limit: 800 ready cash 63,240
Power center: non-standard (Yakuza)
Power center alignment: lawful neutral
Population stats (To do)

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian
Bard
1 5th level bard, 2 2nd level bards, 4 1st level bards
Cleric
1 1st level cleric
Fighter
1 8th level fighter, 2 4th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighers
Gunslinger
1 2nd level gunslinger, 2 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 6th level monk, 2 3rd level monks, 4 1st level monks
Ninja
1 2nd level ninja, 2 1st level ninja
Paladin (sohei)
1 3rd level paladin, 2 1st level paladins
Ranger
1 3rd level ranger, 2 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 4th level rogue, 2 2nd level rogues, 4 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 2nd level samurai, 2 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 2nd level sorcerer, 2 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
1 6th level adept, 2 3rd level adepts, 7 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 4th level aristocrat, 2 2nd level aristocrats, 8 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 10th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 1367 1st level commoners
Expert
1 12th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts, 45 1st level experts
Warrior
1 5th level warrior, 2 2nd level warriors, 75 1st level warriors

Enkawa (village)
Population: 691
Gp limit: 200 ready cash 6,910
Power center: conventional
Power center alignment: lawful evil
Population stats (To do)

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian
Bard
Zero bards
Cleric
Zero clerics
Fighters
1 4th level fighter, 2 2nd level fighters, 4 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
1 1st level gunslinger
Monks
Zero monks
Ninja
Zero ninja
Paladin
1 2nd level paladin, 2 1st level paladins
Ranger
1 2nd level ranger, 2 1st level rangers
Rogue
Samurai
1 2st level samurai, 2 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
3 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 2nd level aristocrat, 4 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 9th level commoner, 2 4th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 594 1st level commoners
Expert
1 6th level expert, 2 3rd level expert, 20 1st level experts
Warrior
1 3rd level warrior , 32 1st level warriors

Yakutoro (Hamlet)
Population:168
Gp limit:100 ready cash 840
Power center: conventional (monstrous)
Population stats (To do)

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian
Bard
1 3rd level bard, 2 1st level bards
Cleric
1 1st level cleric
Fighters
1 5th level fighter, 2 2nd level fighters, 4 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
Monks
1 2nd level monk, 2 1st level monks
Ninja
Zero ninja
Paladin
0 paladins
Ranger
1 1st level ranger
Rogue
1 5th level rogue, 2 2nd level rogues, 4 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 4th level adept, 2 2nd level adepts,
Aristocrat
6 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 9th level commoner. 2 4th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners , 110 1st level commoners
Expert
1 10th level expert, 2 5th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 5 1st level experts
Warrior
1 1st level warrior

Shintomatsunai (thorp)
Population: 70
Gp limit: 40 ready cash 140
Power center: magical
Population stats (To do)

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian
Bard
0 bards
Cleric
0 clerics
Fighters
1 3rd level fighter, 2 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
Monks
1 5th level monk, 2 2nd level monks, 4 1st level monks
Ninja
0 ninja
Paladin
0 paladins
Ranger
1 1st level ranger
Rogue
1 5th level rogue, 2 2nd level rogues, 4 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 3rd level adept,
Aristocrat
2 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 11th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 41 commoners
Expert
1 5th level expert, 2 2nd level experts, 1 1st level expert
Warrior
3 1st level warriors

this gives me tons of information about each settlement. The power center(s) and their alignment(s) tell me what sort of local government controls each settlement, as well as other interesting facts. Yakumoto, which I've decided is the Provincial capital, it has three power centers, two standard, (one lawful good, one lawful evil) and one magical one (that is true neutral). from this i can easily make some decisions. I've decided that the lawful good power center is going to be the Daimyo himself. While the lawful evil power center is going to the city governor (or equivalent), who's corrupt but smart enough to not directly oppose the Daimyo. the third power center i've decided is going to be a shrine or temple, which also accounts for the fair number of shugneja and sohei in the town. I went ahead and placed them on my map in intelligent looking places.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK1_zpsairdde8c.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK1_zpsairdde8c.jpg.html)

I've also decided to go ahead and start the work on generation castles and forts. I am going to roll a D6 to generate a total number, then half that number, the top half (rounded down) is going to be castles, the bottom half is going to be forts. then I named them and placed them on my map.
I've gotta fill out the rest of these settlements, then figure out how I want to stat out these forts. after that I'm pretty much done with the first Provence. after that I get to repeat this process 11 more times.

Edit: ok so i just realized that i botched my attempt to generate my first city. i didn't roll enough times and i didn't use the right modifiers. oop. so now i have to do all that work over. (ths is what i get for trying to do this sort of stuff in the middle of the night.)
Edit; corrected my mistake, the population of the first town should be correct now.
edit 3: finished another town.
Edit 4: finished another town. Also i've decided to drop the random dice roll for clerics from a D6 to D4. i was ending up with more clerics than i wanted. Ok so i gotta explain this. in order to figure out how many of any given class are in a town. you first must figure out what level the highest NPC of that class is. this is determined randomly (die roll with a modifier). after that you calculate it according to the rules (that i had to read multiple times to understand how to do it, that section could have been a little more clear). this campaign setting is supposed to down play magic. and i was ending up with more magic users than i wanted. I may even decide to drop the Adept NPC class altogether and shove those over into commoners. I haven't decided yet.

TheThan
2016-05-28, 02:03 AM
Step 3: populating
Continued part II

So I finished another province. I finally found the section on the Pathfinder website about building settlements. I’m not going to switch to a different system since I’ve already started. I am however going to read through it and see if they have any information I may think is handy to add to this process.

Anyway here’s Kumibetsu Provence and an updated map.

Kumibetsu Provence

Settlements -5, Total gold limit:48,100 gp, total ready cash: 21,655,990
Climate: Temperate plains, forests and mountains.
resources: wood, produce and fish, metals
Natural defenses: rugged mountains and forests.
Map color- orange

Castles and forts
Castles 2
Forts 3

Settlements

Yamakanai (Small city)
Population: 10396
GP limit: 15,000, ready cash: 7,797,000
Power center: Magical ,magical
Power center alignment: lawful good, Lawful good
NPCs by class

PC classes
Barbarian
1 9th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarians, 4 2nd level barbarians 8, 1st level barbarians
1 7th level barbarian, 2 3rd level barbarians, 4 1st level barbarians
Bard
2 10th level bard, 4 5th level bards, 8 2nd level bards, 16 1st level bards
Cleric
1 10th level cleric, 2 5th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics
1 8th level cleric, 2 4th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics
Fighters
1 10th level fighter, 2 5th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
1 9th level fighter, 2 4th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
110th level gunslinger, 2 5th level gunslingers, 4 2nd level gunslingers, 8 1st level gunslingers
1 7th level gunslinger, 2 3rd level gunslingers, 4 1st level gunslingers
Monks
1 14th level monk, 2 7th level monks, 4 3rd level monks, 8 1st level monks
1 10th level monk, 2 5th level monks, 4 2nd level monks, 8 1st level monks
Ninja
1 9th level ninja, 2 4th level ninja, 4 2nd level ninja, 8 1st level ninja
1 8th level ninja, 2 4th level ninja, 4 2nd level ninja, 8 1st level ninja
Paladin
2 9th level paladin, 4 4th level paladins, 8 2nd levl paladins, 16 1st level paladins
Ranger
1 9th level ranger, 2 4th level rangers, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers
1 4th level ranger, 2 2nd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 13th level rogue, 2 6th level rogues, 4 3rd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues
1 12th level rogue, 2 6th level rogues, 4 3rd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 12th level samurai , 2 6th level samurai, 4 3rd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
1 8th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
2 9th level sorcerers, 4 4th level sorcerers, 8 2nd level sorcerers, 16 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
1 12th level adept, 2 6th level adepts, 4 3rd level adepts
1 9th level adept, 2 4th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts , 49 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
2 8th level aristocrat, 4 4th level aristocrats, 8 2nd level aristocrats , 50 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 14th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners
1 13th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 9083 1st level commoners
Expert
1 14th level expert, 2 7th level experts, 4 3rd level experts
1 13th level expert, 2 7th level experts, 4 3rd level experts, 300 1st level experts

Warrior
1 12th level warrior, 2 6th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors
1 10th level warrior, 2 5th level warrior, 4 3rd level warriors , 499, 1st level warriors

Sousunai (Small city)
Population: 6216
GP limit: 15,000 ready cash: 4,662,000
Power center: Conventional, conventional
Power center alignment:Lawful neutral, lawful good
NPCs by class

PC classes
Barbarian
1 10th level barbarian, 2 5th level barbarians, 4 2nd level barbarians, 8 1st level barbarians
1 8th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarians 4 2nd level barbarians , 8 1st level barbarians
Bard
1 11th level bard, 2 5th level bards, 4 2nd level bards, 8 1st level bards
1 10th level bard, 2 5th level bards, 4 2nd level bards, 8 1st level bards
Cleric
1 10th level cleric, 2 5th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics
1 8th level cleric, 2 4th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics
Fighter
1 10th level fighter, 2 5th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
1 8th level fighter, 2 4th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters

Gunslinger
1 10th level gunslinger, 2 5th level gunslingers, 4 2nd level gunslingers, 8 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 13th level monk, 2 6th level monks, 4 3rd level monks 8 1st level monks
1 7th level monk, 2 3rd level monks, 4 1st level monks
Ninja
2 7th level ninjas, 4 3rd level ninjas, 8 1st level ninja
Paladin
1 9th level paladin, 2 4th level paladins, 4 2nd level paladins, 8 1st level paladins
1 7th level paladin, 2 3rd level paladins, 4 1st level paladins
Ranger
9th level ranger, 2 4th level rangers, 4 2nd level rangers, 8th level rangers
1 8th level ranger, 2 4th level rangers, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 10th level rogue, 2 5th level rogues, 4 2nd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues
1 8th level rogue, 2 4th level rogues, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 12th level samurai, 2 6th level samurai, 4 3rd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
1 7th level samurai, 2 3rd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 10th level sorcerer, 2 5th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
1 8th level samurai. 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai 8 1st level samurai

NPC classes
Adept
2 10th level adept, 4 5th level adepts, 8 2nd level adepts, 28 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
2 10th level aristocrat, 4 5th level aristocrats, 8 2nd level aristocrats, 30 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 15th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners
1 13th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 5302 1st level commoners
Expert
1 15th level expert, 2 7th level experts, 4 3rd level experts
1 13th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts,175 1st level experts
Warrior
1 14th level warrior, 2 7th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors
1 10th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors , 291 1st level warriors.

Nakabiro (Large town)
Population: 4555
GP limit: 3000 ready cash: 683,250
Power center: Conventional
Power center alignment: Lawful Neutral
Max level NPCs

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian, 2 2nd level barbarians, 4 1st level barbarians
Bard
1 4th level bard, 2 2nd level bards, 4 1st level bards
Cleric
1 7th level cleric, 2 3rd level cleric, 4 1st level clerics
Fighter
1 9th level fighter, 2 4th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
1 5th level gunfighters, 2 2nd gunslingers, 4 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 5th level monk, 2 3nd level monks, 4 1st level monks
Ninja
1 5th level ninja, 2 3nd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja
Paladin
1 7th level paladin, 2 3rd level paladin, 4 1st level paladins
Ranger
1 7th level ranger, 2 3rd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 11th level rogue, 2 5th level rogues, 4 2nd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 9th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 5th level sorcerer, 2 2nd level sorcerers, 4 1st level sorcerers
NPC classes
Adept
1 7th level adept, 2 3rd level adepts, 21 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 4th level aristocrat, 2 2nd level aristocrats, 22 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 15th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 3935 1st level commoners
Expert
1 13th level experts 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts, 130 1st level experts
Warrior
1 6th level warrior, 2 3rd level warriors, 216 1st level warriors

Kimotari (small city)
Population: 11,350
GP limit: 15,000 ready cash: 8,512,500
Power center: non-standard x2
Power center alignment: neutral evil, true neutral
NPCs by class

PC classes
Barbarian
Bard
1 8th level bard, 2 4th level bards, 4 2nd level bards, 8 1st level bards
Cleric
1 9th level cleric, 2 4th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics
Fighter
1 7th level fighter, 2 3rd level fighters, 4 1st level fighters
1 8th level fighter, 2 4th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
1 10th level gunslinger, 2 5th level gunslingers, 4 2nd level gunslingers, 8 1st level gunslingers
Monk
1 12th level monk, 2 6th level monks, 4 3rd level monks, 8 1st level monks
Ninja
1 7th level ninja, 2 3rd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja
Paladin
1 8th level paladin, 2 4th level paladins, 4 2nd level paladins, 8 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 7th level rangers, 2 3rd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers

Rogue
1 14th level rogue, 2 7th level rogues, 4 3rd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues
1 7th level rogue, 2 3rd level rogues, 4 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 12th level samurai, 2 6th level samurai, 4 3rd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 8th level sorcerer, 2 4th level sorcerers, 4 2nd level sorcerers, 8 1st level sorcerers
1 9th level sorcerer, 2 4th level sorcerers, 4 2nd level sorcerers, 8 1st level sorcerers
NPC classes
Adept
1 10th level adepts, 2 5th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts
1 10th level adepts, 2 5th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts, 54 1st level adepts.
Aristocrat
1 7th level aristocrat, 2 3rd level aristocrats,
1 10th level aristocrat, 2 5th level aristocrats, 4 3rd level aristocrats, 56 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 16th level commoner, 2 8th level commoners, 4 4th level commoners, 8 2nd level commoners
1 16th level commoner, 2 8th level commoners, 4 4th level commoners, 8 2nd level commoners, 9999 1st level commoners
Expert
1 13th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 2nd level experts
1 15th level expert, 2 7th level experts, 4 3rd level experts, 330 1st level experts

Shintari (hamlet)
Population: 248
GP limit: 100 ready cash: 1240
Power center alignment:lawful good
NPCs by class

PC classes
Barbarian
1 2nd level barbarian, 2 1st level barbarians
Bard
1 2nd level bard, 2 1st level bards
Cleric
1 2nd level cleric, 2 1st level clerics
Fighter
Gunslinger
0 gunslingers
Monk
Ninja
1 3rd level ninja, 2 1st level ninja
Paladin
0 paladins
Ranger
1 2nd level ranger, 2 1st level rangers
Rogue
1 3rd level rogue, 2 1st level rogues
Samurai
1 4th level samurai, 2 2nd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
0 sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
0 adepts,
Aristocrat
1 2nd level aristocrat, 2 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 5th level commoner, 2 2nd level commoners, 181 1st level commoners
Expert
1 5th level commoner, 2 2nd level expert, 6 1st level experts
Warrior
1 5th level fighter, 2 2nd level fighters, 10 1st level warriors

here's my updated map:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK2_zpspcqidamy.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK2_zpspcqidamy.jpg.html)

snowblizz
2016-05-29, 08:22 AM
I'm curious about one thing about the generation of settlements and population. Does the rules assume this is all of the population in eg a province? And all the settlements? Because total populations should be at least one order of magnitude larger than what you've got listed as total population to even approach something vaguely realistic of anything but neolitic populations pre-agriculture.

If taken more as "interesting places" to end up, as naturally not all the hundreds of villages could be generated for a game, it'd make more sense rather than there's one big city a 5 farming villages, the latter with a population that could not supprot the main town without industrialised agriculture.

TheThan
2016-05-29, 12:54 PM
I'm curious about one thing about the generation of settlements and population. Does the rules assume this is all of the population in eg a province? And all the settlements? Because total populations should be at least one order of magnitude larger than what you've got listed as total population to even approach something vaguely realistic of anything but neolitic populations pre-agriculture.

If taken more as "interesting places" to end up, as naturally not all the hundreds of villages could be generated for a game, it'd make more sense rather than there's one big city a 5 farming villages, the latter with a population that could not supprot the main town without industrialised agriculture.

The section I’m using is under “creating towns” (DMG 3.5 page 137). I’m using it to create towns obviously. The book wants you to roll a percentile die to determine the town size, and then it gives you a range of population (adult population based on the dominant race). I’ll give you the breakdown:
Thorp: 20-80
Hamlet: 81-400
Village: 401-900
Small town: 901-2000
Large town: 2001-5000
Small city: 5001-12,000
Large city: 12001-25000
Metropolis: 25001+

What I’m doing is rolling for the size of the town, then to determining the actual population using randomizer.ord to pick a random number in the given range, that’s my actual population. After I’ve done creating all the towns, I’m adding the populations together to get the total population for each Provence.

If things don’t add up to make sense, then there’s something wrong with my math (very real possibility), or the random town generation is just weird. I can always go back and make corrections for the sake of sensibility. For instance I know I want about half of the provinces to be roughly equal in capability. One thing I’ve already noticed is that the more large settlements a Provence has, the wealthier they are. That translates directly into power.

But it also can dictate the fluff of the area. If one Provence has too many large towns, maybe there is a famine and people are fleeing to the cities looking for food. That sounds like a great adventure hook.

I could go either direction at this point, building each individual little settled area, or just allow them to be "interesting places". that's a decision I'll eventually have to make.

snowblizz
2016-05-29, 04:49 PM
Seems the rules are are intended for random creation of settlements in "isolation"? That is I think generating an entire province's inhabitants that way would be problematic. Because at a d6, d8 or d10 all of them will give you ludicrously small popualtions, e.g. imagine rolling up just 5 Thorps for a province? 100-400 inhabitants for how large an area? There should be like hundreds of Thorps and Hamlets in any goodly sized province. Which is obvisouly totally infeasible to roll each randomly, not trying to suggest that. With one to two major settlements per province (and barely half a dozen smaller ones) you get a degree of urbanisation that rivals those of current modern nations, even the most urbanised medieval regions would only be in the 40-50% range, if that (I'm not entirely certain, but Northern Italy and Flanders were fairly heavily urbanized, though the rest of Europe was much more thinly populated).

Because I was curious I went and found thisDemographic_history_of_Japan_before_the_Meiji_ Restoration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Japan_before_the_Meiji_Rest oration). It will give you some ballpark numbers of towns, provinces and the country. Also not suggesting you slavishly try to follow that either. I got statistical shock from all the numbers just glancing at it.:smalltongue:

I think the issue is that the rules just doesn't work for randomly generating every settlement with an arbitraily decided on number of settlements. If what I say makes sense. You just don't get enough small settlements that would be expected of the roughly medieval period. Also you are liable to get results that don't match your reality. A mountanous province filled with large settlemetns and a large plains area good for farming with a tiny population, e.g. When in reality it would be the other way around since we're not too far away from subsistence farming in the relevant period.

As you say you need to consider giving provinces about equal abilities. I can't speak for the what the rules on generating stuff says, but you could supplement provinces weaker in population with natural resources, e.g. gold, timber, ores and such. E.g. there was a province in Japan (and a daimyo profiting from it) in the Northern part that paid tax way above it's popualtion and agriculture size due to existence of gold mines. But no idea how that's incorporated into the rules if at all.

Max_Killjoy
2016-05-29, 09:57 PM
This subject of how much farmland and how many farmers are required to support X number of people in a town or city actually ties into the worldbuilding I'm working on right now for an "iron age" / "city-states" setting.

If I find any external sources, I'll drop them in here.

AMFV
2016-05-29, 10:23 PM
This subject of how much farmland and how many farmers are required to support X number of people in a town or city actually ties into the worldbuilding I'm working on right now for an "iron age" / "city-states" setting.

If I find any external sources, I'll drop them in here.

From what I've read that's actually one of the most contentious things that people discuss. A lot of it has to do with what crops you plant though. Some crops take a lot more land or maintenance and others take less. Also once you've got a certain number of people you need more dedicated agriculture, whereas with small communities you might be able to do a lot more foraging and gathering.

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 10:58 PM
I haven't looked through everything but I'm sure you need to research more about medieval/bit-past-medieval Japan.

Daimyos are powerful, sorta aristocratic samurai who swear loyalty to the Shogun family and help the Shogun maintain a peaceful world. If they fight each other without orders from the Shogun, that's "Shi-Tou" (a personal fight) which goes against the original contract and makes them official enemies of the Shogunate. Fighting over the throne of shogun is even more of a big no. Did nobles do that openly in Europe?

I think you're mixing up the battle age with the rest of the samurais' rule. Just because they hold swords doesn't mean they're constantly fighting each other.

snowblizz
2016-05-30, 07:55 AM
I haven't looked through everything but I'm sure you need to research more about medieval/bit-past-medieval Japan.
While pretty much always true, it's a dangerous thing to go say...

Daimyos are powerful, sorta aristocratic samurai who swear loyalty to the Shogun family and help the Shogun maintain a peaceful world. If they fight each other without orders from the Shogun, that's "Shi-Tou" (a personal fight) which goes against the original contract and makes them official enemies of the Shogunate. Fighting over the throne of shogun is even more of a big no.
And yet this is exactly how the Sengoku Jidai started in the late 1400s in Japan. There was a disagreement/power struggle between two noble families in Kyoto about shogunate succession, that started a civil war, essentially, in Kyoto, which showed that the Ashikaga Shogunate was unable to enforce authority. This ensured even more Daimyo started running their fiefs more and more as personal kingdoms until in the 1500s we get a full blown free-for-all of who manages to fight his way to the top and claim the title of Shogun.
All major changes of ruling Shogun clans was contested in civil war. At least 3 major ones at about 200 year intervals. Even the last one that restored Imperial authority and brought Japan screaming into the 19th century.
Also samurai loyalty is vastly overstated, it's about as accurate as medieaval European knightly romances. Just readup on the careers of the Three Unifiers who each successively united Japan after the Sengoku Jidai, not exactly the epitomes of loyalty (even going to great lengths to put up a facade of loyalty, appearances matter :p).

Did nobles do that openly in Europe?

Yes. All the time. War of the Roses and Baron's Wars (both of them) just in England for example. Almsot every European nation got in on that kind of thing in the medieaval period.

Mirroring the circumstancse very well in Europe and Japan, powerful feudal aristocracy taking advantage of weak or perceived weak central authority increae their own power or take ultiamte authority in to better suited hands (ie their own).

Gastronomie
2016-05-30, 08:45 AM
Well, I was under the impression that this was set in an era like the Edo period, but oh well, upon reading more it turns out it isn't. My bad on that one.

I think the reason I got the wrong impression was because, when Japanese people say "Daimyo", the word generally refers to only those of the Edo period. If you're talking about the upper-class samurai in the Muromachi period, that's a "Shugo-Daimyo". If it's in the Sengoku period, it's a "Sengoku-Daimyo" (and besides, contrary to popular belief, almost none of the Sengoku-Daimyo were ever aspiring to become rulers of the entire nation, and even a small number actually even dreamed of becoming a Shogun). So when the thread creator started talking about these "Daimyo fighting to become Shogun", I was really damn confused.

I very well do understand how the Muromachi shogunate was as weak as hell and how there was this civil war (the Ounin War) and all that stuff. Just, I had wrongly assumed it was set in an Edo-period-ish setting, so...

But since that misunderstanding has been cleared:
Also samurai loyalty is vastly overstated, it's about as accurate as medieaval European knightly romances. Just readup on the careers of the Three Unifiers who each successively united Japan after the Sengoku Jidai, not exactly the epitomes of loyalty (even going to great lengths to put up a facade of loyalty, appearances matter :p).Yeah, this is true. Bushido appeared only in the Edo period.

However, regardless of whether the Daimyo are loyal or not, none of them will be foolish enough to openly go against the Shogunate in times when the shogunate is actually powerful. ...Unlike in the case with the Muromachi period, seventh Shogun and then on.

Yes. All the time. War of the Roses and Baron's Wars (both of them) just in England for example. Almsot every European nation got in on that kind of thing in the medieaval period.

Mirroring the circumstancse very well in Europe and Japan, powerful feudal aristocracy taking advantage of weak or perceived weak central authority increae their own power or take ultiamte authority in to better suited hands (ie their own).*Facepalm* This is exactly what happens when you poke your head into areas you don't know well. Okay, sorry, I suppose that was the case in Europe. I'm not an expert at world history. My bad.

Well, I now assume this is really similar to the Sengoku period. In which case, ignore the stuff I said in my earlier post, because all that information is about the Edo period, and completely irrelevant.

I won't delve into how all the names of the Daimyo are really modern-sounding and don't sound very cool from a Japanese perspective, because I doubt anyone actually cares (it's not like Japanese people are gonna actually participate in your game or anything). Some names do sorta sound like "Archduke Bobby Brown" and "Count Tim Smith", though.

But I do like how well-described the setting is.

snowblizz
2016-05-30, 10:35 AM
I think the reason I got the wrong impression was because, when Japanese people say "Daimyo", the word generally refers to only those of the Edo period. If you're talking about the upper-class samurai in the Muromachi period, that's a "Shugo-Daimyo". If it's in the Sengoku period, it's a "Sengoku-Daimyo" (and besides, contrary to popular belief, almost none of the Sengoku-Daimyo were ever aspiring to become rulers of the entire nation, and even a small number actually even dreamed of becoming a Shogun). So when the thread creator started talking about these "Daimyo fighting to become Shogun", I was really damn confused.

Yes for most of us I think "daimyo" just colloqially means "that dude that's ruling this province". Mostly because talking about it will generally be about the Sengoku era anyway.
Didn't actually notice your location I thought I was explaining stuff to an ill-informed American :smalltongue:.

*Facepalm* This is exactly what happens when you poke your head into areas you don't know well. Okay, sorry, I suppose that was the case in Europe. I'm not an expert at world history.
It gets worse really. The amount of people deciding they'd make for a better ruler than the ruler is probably quite staggering from another perspective. Whenever I read medieval European history it literally keeps bugging me how powerhungry and greedy everyone is. Almost desperate to advance themselves even though they are already at the top. During the War of Roses eg the Earl of Warwick, generally referred to as the "Kingmaker" for supporting various rulers and their competing family members (generally brothers for obvious reasons). The late 1500s in Sweden saw competition among the 3 sons of the Vasa dynasty and then between uncle and nephews (which was a big reason the War of Roses kept on going). Most feudal states in Europe were unstable due to the independently powerful magnates such as earls and dukes (royal or not). It's probably not too much of exaggeration that a most European medieval kings were more first among equals at best than absolute rules. In fact absolute rule didn't really take until the 1600s-1700s in most places, usually by the ruler allyign with commoners and lower nobility agasint the grandees. Ofc social changes towards a less feudal societies and standing armies not personal service helped putting military control more firmly under a ruler than in the medieval period.

Well, I now assume this is really similar to the Sengoku period. In which case, ignore the stuff I said in my earlier post, because all that information is about the Edo period, and completely irrelevant.
You'll notice I was wondering about a similar thing really.

I won't delve into how all the names of the Daimyo are really modern-sounding and don't sound very cool from a Japanese perspective, because I doubt anyone actually cares (it's not like Japanese people are gonna actually participate in your game or anything). Some names do sorta sound like "Archduke Bobby Brown" and "Count Tim Smith", though.

But I do like how well-described the setting is.Most likely. Being a random name genarator. Some of the names sounded very familiar to me, like from seeing them mentioned on these boards in threads about anime and stuff. Some of the randomly generated names of provinces also seemed like parts of real place names chopped up and stuck together. I recognized a few name fragments.

TheThan
2016-05-31, 02:06 AM
Yes for most of us I think "daimyo" just colloqially means "that dude that's ruling this province". Mostly because talking about it will generally be about the Sengoku era anyway.
Yeah, that’s literally how I’m using it. it’s sort of like a governor and a general combined.

Well, I was under the impression that this was set in an era like the Edo period, but oh well, upon reading more it turns out it isn't. My bad on that one.

I’m not really focusing on any specific era, so I’m just sorta borrowing from every time.

Most likely. Being a random name genarator. Some of the names sounded very familiar to me, like from seeing them mentioned on these boards in threads about anime and stuff. Some of the randomly generated names of provinces also seemed like parts of real place names chopped up and stuck together. I recognized a few name fragments.

Yeah, I pulled these names from a baby name website or somesuch (actually forgot) and strung them together myself. So if they are generic or make for lame names. Oh well.

But I do like how well-described the setting is.
Thank you. I’m shooting for an extensive world here.

Anyway I’m reading up on the Pathfinder settlement generation rules, I may decide to re-do what I have done. I’m not terribly far into this process, so it wouldn’t be re-doing everything that being said, I HATE redoing work.

TheThan
2016-06-11, 03:57 AM
Ok so, Sorry I’ve been away from this thread. I’ve been a bit busy with other things, and also hard at work with this setting.
So this is a fairly big update.

I’ve got six of the 12 provinces finished, so I’m about half way done with this step in the process, in addition to that, I’ve been doing some research into other areas, such as what monsters I should use, and what sort of animals I should also have populating the setting (Wikipedia is a big help); which should help add to the setting’s detail. I’ve got some tentative lists I’ll reveal later.

I’ve also read up a little bit on Japanese religion, mainly Shinto. Which I plan on totally butchering. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone that practices, which is pretty much why I plan on butchering it, I know if I just try to lift it wholesale I’d do a worse job than if I just intentionally butcher it. I think trying to lift it and fail is more insulting than just borrow elements and come up with my own thing. It also gets into real world religion; which is not an appropriate topic for these boards.

I’ve also settled on a general size of the population of the empire. I took the list of statistics Snowblizz provided and made an average, I used the numbers from the first column, started at 1000 AD and added the numbers up until I got to the bottom (1700ad) and then divided that number by the amount of entries there is in the data. I got the number 11,459,259. According to the data, there was between 12,500,000 and 8,000,000 (depending on who’s doing the research) by about 1400, so this should be a fairly solid target number. I don’t need it to be hyper precise, and I certainly don’t have to hit that number dead on so I don’t mind being off my target number. Right now my total population is 94,127. So I’ve got plenty of leeway.

Here are the new provinces I’ve done.

Honsaki Province

Settlements - 3, Total gold limit:16,000 gp, total ready cash: 948,350
Climate: Temperate plains, forested mountains and hills
resources: wood, metals, food
Natural defenses: forests and mountains
Map color- Dark Green

Castles and forts

Settlements

Yokohaba (Small city)
Population: 11796
GP limit:15,000 ready cash: 8,847,000
Power center: conventional, magical
Power center alignment: lawful good, lawful good
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barb
1 10th level barbarian, 2 5th level barbarian, 4 2nd level , 8 1st level fighters
1 8th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarians, 4 2nd level barbarians, 8 1st level barbarians

Bard
1 7th level bard, 2 3rd level bards, 4 1st level bards
1 10th level bard, 2 5th level bards, 4 2nd level bards 8 1st level bards

Cleric
1 9th level cleric, 2 4th level clerics, 4 2nd level clerics, 8 1st level clerics

Fighter
1 12th level fighter, 2 6th level fighter, 4 3rd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters

Gunslinger

Monk
1 11th level monk, 2 5th level monks, 4 2nd level monks, 8 1st level monks
1 9th level monk, 2 4th level monks, 4 2nd level monks, 8 1st level monks

Ninja
1 10th level ninja, 2 5th level ninja, 4 2nd level ninja, 8 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 8th level paladin, 2 4th level paladin, 4 2nd level paladins, 8 1st level paladins
1 9th level paladin, 2 4th level paladin, 4 2nd level paladins, 8 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 9th level ranger, 2 4th level rangers, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers

Rogue
1 11th level rogue, 2 5th level rogues, 4 2nd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 9th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
1 8th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samruai, 8 1st level samurai

Sorcerer
1 8th level sorcerer, 2 4th level sorcerer, 4 2nd level sorcerer, 8 1st level sorcerer
1 8th level sorcerer, 2 4th level sorcerer, 4 2nd level sorcerer, 8 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 7th level adept, 2 3rd level adept,
1 9th level adept, 2 4th level adept, 4 2nd level adept, 56 1st level adepts

aristocrat
1 10th level aristocrat, 2 5th level aristocrats, 4 2nd level aristocrats
1 10th level aristocrat, 2 5th level aristocrats, 4 2nd level aristocrats, 57 1st level aristocrats

Commoners
1 16th level commoner, 2 8th level commoners, 4 4th level commoners, 8 2nd level commoners
1 16th level commoner, 2 8th level commoners, 4 4th level commoners, 8 2nd level commoners, 10369 1st level commoners

Expert
1 13th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts
1 14th level expert, 2 7th level experts, 4 3rd level experts,342 1st level experts

Warrior
1 12th level warrior, 2 6th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors
1 13th level warrior, 2 6th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors, 570 1st level warriors

Okunouchi (Small town)
Population: 1398
GP limit: 800 ready cash: 55,920
Power center alignment: neutral evil
Total npcs by class:

PC classes

Barbarian
1 4th level barbarian, 2 2nd level barbarians, 4 1st level barbarian

Bard
1 4th level bard, 2 2nd level bards, 4 1st level bards

Cleric
1 1st level cleric

Fighter
1 3rd level fighter, 2 1st level fighter

Gunslinger
1 3rd level gunslinger, 2 1st level gunslingers

Monk
1 1st level monk

Ninja
1 4th level ninja, 2 2nd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja

Paladin

Ranger
1 3rd level ranger, 2 1st level rangers

Rogue
1 8th level rogue, 2 4th level rogues, 4 2nd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 6th level samurai, 2 3rd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai

Sorcerer

NPC classes

Adept
1 2nd level adept, 6 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 4th level aristocrat, 2 2nd level aristocrats, 8 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 12th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 1189 1st level commoners

Expert
1 8th level expert, 2 4th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 39 1st level experts

Warrior
1 5th level warrior, 2 2nd level warriors, 65 1st level warriors

Kuzugata (Village)
Population: 773
GP limit: 200 ready cash: 7,730
Power center alignment: Lawful neutral
Total npcs by class:

PC classes

Barbarians
0 barbarians

Bard

Fighter
1 3rd level fighter, 2 1st level fighters

Gunslinger
1 1st level gunslinger

Monk

Ninja
1 3rd level ninja, 2 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 1st level paladin

Ranger
0 rangers

Rogue
1 8th level rogue, 2 4th level rogues, 4 2nd level rogues, 8 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 1st level samurai

Sorcerer
1 3rd level sorcerer, 2 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes

Adept
1 1st level adept

Aristocrat
4 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 10th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 655 1st level commoners

Expert
1 5th level expert, 2 2nd level expert, 22 1st level experts

Warrior
1 5th level warrior, 2 2nd level warriors, 36 1st level warriors

Tawaragata Province
Settlements - 5 total, population:15,800. Total gold limit:21,300 gp, total ready cash:1,531,345
Climate: Temperate plains and forests
resources: food, wood,
Exports: food wood
Natural defenses: dense forest
Map color- light blue

Castles and forts

Settlements

Fugimaki (Small city)
Population: 9516
GP limit: 15,000 ready cash: 714,652
Power center: Conventional, magical
Power center alignment: lawful good, lawful neutral
Total npcs by class:

PC classes

Barbarian
1 8th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarian, 4 2nd level barbarian, 8 1st level barbarians
1 9th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarian, 4 2nd level barbarian, 8 1st level barbarians

Bard
17th level bard, 2 3rd level bards, 4 1st level bards

Cleric

Fighter
1 12th level fighter, 2 6th level fighters, 4 3rd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters

Gunslinger
1 10th level gunslinger, 2 5th level gunslinger, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters
1 10th level gunslinger, 2 5th level gunslinger, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters

Monk
1 11th level monk, 2 5th level monks, 4 2nd level monks, 8 1st level monks

NInja

Paladin
1 9th level paladin , 2 4th level paladins, 4 2nd level paladin, 8 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 8th level ranger, 2 4th level ranger, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers
1 8th level ranger, 2 4th level ranger, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers

Rogue
1 12th level rogue, 2 6th level rogue, 4 3rd level rogue, 8 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 8th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai

Sorcerer
1 10th level sorcerer, 2 5th level sorcerer, 4 2nd level sorcerer, 8 1st level sorcerer
1 7th level sorcerer, 2 3rd level sorcerers, 4 1st levels sorcerers

NPC classes

Adept
1 10th level adept, 2 5th level adept, 4 2nd level adepts
1 8th level adept, 2 4th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts, 45 1st level adepts

Aristocrat
1 10th level aristocrat, 2 5th level aristocrat, 4 2nd level aristocrat
1 8th level aristocrat, 2 4th level aristocrat, 4 2nd level aristocrat, 46 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 12th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners , 8290 1st level commoners

Expert
1 13th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts
1 12th level expert, 2 6th level experts, 4 3rd level experts, 273 1st level experts

Warrior
1 11th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors
1 11th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors, 456 1st level warriors

Narashina (Large town)
Population 3366
GP limit: 3000 ready cash: 504,900
Power center: Magical
Power center alignment: nonstandard
Total NPCs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian

Bard
1 6t level bard, 2 3rd level bard, 4 1st level bards

Cleric
1 4th level cleric, 2 2nd level clerics, 4 1st level clerics

Fighter

Gunslinger
1 5th level gunslinger, 2 2nd level gunslinger, 4 1st level gunslingers

Monk

Ninja
1 4th level ninja, 2 2nd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 6th level paladin, 2 3rd level paladins, 4 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 6th level rangers, 2 3rd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers

Rogue

Samurai
1 9th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai. 8 1st level samurai

Sorcerer
1 4th level sorcerer, 2 2nd level sorcerers, 4 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
1 6th level adept, 2 3rd level adepts, 16 1st level aristocrats

Aristocrat
1 6th level adept, 2 3rd level adepts, 16 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 16th level commoner, 2 8th level commoners, 4 4th level commoners, 8 2nd level commoners, 2940 1st level commoners

Expert
1 11th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 97 1st level experts

Warrior
1 11th level commoners, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 162 1st level warriors

Watakita (Large town)
Population: 2031
GP limit: 3000 ready cash: 304,500
Power center: non-standard
Total NPCs by class:

PC classes

Barbarian

Bard

Cleric
1 7th level cleric, 2 3rd level clerics, 4 1st level clerics

Fighter

Gunslinger
1 4th level gunslinger, 2 2nd level gunslingers, 4 1st level gunslingers

Monk
1 9th level monk, 2 4th level monks, 4 2nd level monks, 8 1st level monks

Ninja
1 6th level ninja, 2 3rd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 4th level paladin, 2 2nd level paladin, 4 1st level paladin

Ranger
1 4th level ranger, 2 2nd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers

Rogue
1 6th level rogue, 2 3rd level rogues, 4 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 8th level samurai. 2 4th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai

Sorcerer

NPC classes

Adept
1 7th level Adept, 2 3rd level adepts, 9 1st level adepts

Aristocrat
1 7th level aristocrat, 2 3rd level aristocrats,10 1st level adepts

Commoner
1 13th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 1725 1st level
Commoners

Expert
1 10th level expert, 2 5th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 57 1st level experts

Warrior
1 11th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors, 95 1st level warriors

Uranai (Village)
Population: 721
GP limit: 200 ready cash: 7,210
Power center: Non-standard
Power center alignment: true Neutral
Total NPCs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 3rd level barbarian, 2 1st level barbarians

Bard
1 4th level bards 2 2nd level bards, 4 1st level bards

Cleric
1 1st level cleric

Fighter
1 1st level fighter

Gunslinger
0 gunslingers

Monk
1 3rd level monk, 2 1st level monks

Ninja
1 1st level ninja

Paladin
0 paladins

Ranger
0 rangers

Rogue
Samurai
1 5th level samurai, 2 2nd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai

Sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 3rd level adept
Aristocrat
1 3rd level aristocrat
Commoner
1 5th level commoner, 2 2nd level commoners, 621 1st level commoners ,
Expert
1 9th level expert, 2 4th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 20 1st level experts
Warrior
1 3rd level warrior 34 1st level warriors

Uratari (Hamlet)
Population: 166
GP limit: 100 ready cash: 83
Total NPCs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 2nd level barbarian, 2 1st level barbarians

Bard

Cleric
0 clerics

Fighter
1 1st level fighter
Gunslinger
0 gunslingers
Monk
1 2nd level monk, 2 1st level monks

Ninja
0 ninja
Paladin
0 paladins
Ranger
0 rangers
Rogue
1 1st level rogue
Samurai
1 1st level samurai
Sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
0 adepts
Aristocrat
0 aristocrats
Commoner
1 7th level commoner, 2 3rd level commoners, 665 1st level commoners
Expert
1 3rd level expert, 21 1st level experts
Warrior
1 2nd level warrior, 35 1st level warriors

Watanouchi province
Settlements - 3 total, population:11,773 . Total gold limit: 18,800 gp, total ready cash:6,801,910
Climate: Temperate plains and forests
resources: food, wood,
Exports: food, wood
Map color- yellow

Asakonai ( Small City)
Population: 8559
GP limit: 15,000 ready cash: 6,419,250
Power center: non-standard, magical
Power center alignment: lawful good, lawful good
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 9th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarians, 4 2nd level barbarians, 8 1st level barbarians
1 9th level barbarian, 2 4th level barbarians, 4 2nd level barbarians, 8 1st level barbarians

Bard
1 10th level bard, 2 5th level bards, 4 2nd level bards, 8 1st level bards

Cleric

Fighter
1 11th level fighter, 2 5th level fighters, 4 2nd level fighters, 8 1st level fighters

Gunslinger

Monk
1 14th level monk, 2 7th level monks, 4 3rd level monks, 8 1st level monks
Ninja
1 9th level ninja, 2 4th level ninja, 4 2nd level ninja 8 1st level ninja
1 8th level ninja, 2 4th level ninja, 4 2nd level ninja, 8 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 8th level paladin, 2 4th level paladins, 4 2nd level paladins, 8 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 8th level ranger, 2 4th level rangers, 4 2nd level rangers, 8 1st level rangers

Rogue

Samurai
1 10th level samurai, 2 5th level samurai, 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 10th level sorcerer, 2 5th level sorcerers, 4 2nd level sorcerer, 8 1st level sorcerer
1 8th level sorcerer, 2 4th level sorcerers, 4 2ndl level sorcerers, 8 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
1 10th level adept, 2 5th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts
1 10th level adept, 2 5th level adepts, 4 2nd level adepts, 40 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 9th level aristocrat, 2 4th level aristocrats, 4 2nd level aristocrats
1 9th level aristocrat, 2 4th level aristocrats, 4 2nd level aristocrats, 41 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 14th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners , 7419 1st level commoners
Expert
1 16th level expert, 2 8th level experts, 4 4th level experts, 8 2nd level experts
1 11th level expert, 2 5th level experts, 4 2nd level experts , 245 1st level experts
Warrior
1 10th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors
1 13th level warrior, 2 6th level warriors, 4 3rd level warriors, 408 1st level warriors

Naranai (Large town)
Population: 2310
GP limit: 3,000 ready cash: 346,500
Power center: standard
Power center alignment: Neutral good
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 5th level barbarian, 2 2nd level barbarians, 4 1st level barbarians

Bard
1 6th level bard, 2 3rd level bards, 4 1st level bards

Cleric

Fighter

Gunslinger
1 6th level gunslinger, 2 3rd level gunslingers, 4 1st level gunslingers

Monk

Ninja
1 5th level ninja, 2 2nd level ninja, 4 1st level ninja

Paladin
1 5th level paladin, 2 2nd level paladins, 4 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 5th level ranger, 2 2nd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers

Rogue

Samurai
1 9th level samurai, 2 4th level samurai. 4 2nd level samurai, 8 1st level samurai

Sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 4th level adept, 2 2nd level adepts, 10 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 6th level aristocrat, 2 3rd level aristocrats, 11 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 14th level commoner, 2 7th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 1997 1st level commoners

Expert
1 7th level expert, 2 3rd level experts, 67 1st level experts
Warrior
1 11th level warrior, 2 5th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors, 110 1st level warriors

Kenyama (Small town)
Population: 904
GP limit: 800 ready cash: 36,160
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 3rd level barbarian, 2 1st level barbarians

Bard
1 3rd level bard, 2 1st level bards

Cleric
1 3rd level cleric, 2 1st level clerics

Fighter

Gunslinger
1 1st level gunslinger

Monk
1 5th level monk, 2 2nd level monks, 4 1st level monks

Ninja

Paladin
1 3rd level paladin, 2 1st level paladins

Ranger
1 3rd level ranger, 2 1st level paladins

Rogue
1 2nd level rogue, 2 1st level rogues

Samurai
1 4th level samurai, 2 2nd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai

Sorcerer
1 4th level sorcerer, 2 2nd level sorcerers, 4 1st level sorcerers

NPC classes

Adept
1 3rd level adept, 4 1st level adepts

Aristocrat
1 2nd level aristocrat, 5 1st level aristocrats

Commoner
1 10th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 763 1st level commoners

Expert
1 5th level expert, 2 2nd level experts, 25 1st level experts

Warrior
1 4th level warrior, 2 4th level warriors, 42 1st level warriors

Nagahoro province
Settlements - 3 total, population: 1425 . Total gold limit: 500 gp, total ready cash: 12,595
Climate: Temperate plains and forests,
resources: food and wood
Exports: food, wood
Map color- turquoise

Kuzufurano (Village)
Population: 621
GP limit: 200 ready cash: 6210
Power center alignment: Neutral evil
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
0 barbarians
Bard
1 1st level bard
Cleric
0 clerics
Fighter
1 4th level fighter, 2 2nd level fighters, 4 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
0 gunslingers
Monk
Ninja
0 ninja
Paladin1 1st level paladin
Ranger
1 1st level ranger
Rogue
1 6th level ranger, 2 3rd level rangers, 4 1st level rangers
Samurai
1 3rd level samurai, 2 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
1 2nd level sorcerer, 2 1st level sorcerer

NPC classes
Adept
1 1st level adept
Aristocrat
1 3rd level aristocrat, 6 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 13th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 517 commoners
Expert
1 8th level expert, 2 4th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 17 1st level experts
Warrior
1 8th level warrior, 2 4th level warriors, 4 2nd level warriors, 28 1st level warriors

Iwahama (Village)
Population: 473
GP limit: 200 ready cash: 4730
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
1 1st level barbarian
Bard
0 bards
Cleric
1 1st level cleric
Fighter
1 6th level fighter, 2 3rd level fighters, 4 1st level fighters
Gunslinger
0 gunslingers
Monk
Ninja
1 1st level ninja
Paladin
Ranger
1 2nd level ranger, 2 1st level ranger
Rogue
Samurai
1 5th level samurai, 2 2nd level samurai, 4 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
0 sorcerers
NPC classes
Adept
1 2nd level adept, 2 1st level adepts
Aristocrat
1 2nd level aristocrat, 3 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 12th level commoner, 2 6th level commoners, 4 3rd level commoners, 379 1st level commoners
Expert
1 8th level expert, 2 4th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 13 1st level experts
Warrior
1 4th level warrior, 2 2nd level warriors, 20 1st level warriors

Iwahama (Hamlet)
Population: 331
GP limit: 100 ready cash: 1655
Power center alignment: true neutral
Total npcs by class:

PC classes
Barbarian
0 barbarians
Bard
1 1st level bard
Cleric
Fighter
1 3rd level cleric, 2 1st level clerics
Gunslinger
1 1st level gunslinger
Monk
Ninja
Paladin
Ranger
1 1st level ranger
Rogue
0 rogues
Samurai
1 2nd level samurai, 2 1st level samurai
Sorcerer
0 sorcerers

NPC classes
Adept
1 2nd level adept, 1 1st level adept
Aristocrat
3 1st level aristocrats
Commoner
1 11th level commoner, 2 5th level commoners, 4 2nd level commoners, 263 1st level commoners
Expert
1 9th level expert, 2 4th level experts, 4 2nd level experts, 9 1st level experts
Warrior 1 1st level warrior, 14 1st level experts

I’ve got dark orange, pink, dark red, dark blue, purple and light green to do in that order. I’ve also decided on a work order. Which is in the spoilers:

Layout
Part 1 : ideas
Part 2: maps
Part 3: world population
Part 4: player and NPC classes
Part 5: flora, fauna and monsters
Part 6: skills and feats
Part 7: weapons, armor and equipment
Part 8: society culture and politics
Part 9: religion and magic

If you think i'm missing something, feel free to let me know, it's always nice to get another perspective.

Lastly I’ve got an updated map for you all to enjoy:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK3_zpsord20y10.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/dnd%20game/political%20map%20MK3_zpsord20y10.jpg.html)

TheThan
2016-06-18, 12:59 AM
OK so it’s been a bit, I’ve been hard at work finishing off part 3. I think I’m more or less done. I’m probably going to add some small mountain villages down on the south, in the more mountainous regions, simply because there’s these huge blank spots that probably need a few small settlements.
I’ve decided that the northern section of the island is going to be sparsely populated and remote. Although I might stuff one or two more in there just to help it mesh together.

But I do need a break from working on this section. So I’m going to move on to section III and continue working on the classes. I’m going to go and look through a bunch of my 3.5 books and look for prestige classes and pick some out for use and figure out if I can use them and if they’ll be compatible enough with pathfinder. Naturally I’ll give a good look at the pathfinder classes that’s available to me. I might decide to just run without prestige classes if I don’t think they’re compatible enough.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/political%20map%20MK4_zpsenslvd9u.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/political%20map%20MK4_zpsenslvd9u.jpg.html)