PDA

View Full Version : too many choices too many pets

kulosle
2016-05-23, 11:07 PM
i can't really think of how to explain why i'm having so much trouble with this so i'll make it simple. we are using generic characters in an upcoming campaign. all class features are available instead of just the one's listed in unearthed arcana. I am choosing a familiar, an animal companion, and a special mount. I don't want to do any thing as good as a fleshraker, but everything just under that is fine. any combination or imput would be helpful.

side note i have already looked up all the possibly helpful handbooks and it just made the decision harder.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-23, 11:35 PM
When in doubt, make everything bears.

Generally, you should start by thinking about what exactly it is you want your pets to do. Big cats (or anything else with Pounce) are good for damage, wolves are good for tripping, etc.

Spore
2016-05-24, 04:16 AM
When in doubt, make everything bears.

How do you get a bear familiar to work? Bonus question: Can you make everything the same creature (and actually have a huge benefit off of it?)

Florian
2016-05-24, 04:19 AM
How do you get a bear familiar to work?

Looking at the campaign outline as mentioned, the answer simply is: It doesn´t matter. Just do it and be done with it.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-24, 04:50 AM

Other than the fact that it isn't explicitly listed, I don't know of any rule that says your familiar can't be a bear.

Judge_Worm
2016-05-24, 06:38 AM
Familiar: Cat
Animal Companion: Cheetah
Special Mount: Dire Lion
Always refer to them as "kittens." Whenever they're mauling an enemy refer to it as if they are just playing. Constantly call them "cute" and "cuddly." Give them names like "Mr. Kitteh," "Fluffy the Third, King of Kitties," and "Fuzzy Lumpkins." Whenever you talk to them use a baby voice.

Dunsparce
2016-05-24, 08:13 AM
Don't forget the feats Extra Familiar from Dragon Magazine #280 and Wild Cohort from the online WotC articles. Basically get a second familiar and another animal companion(sort of, they're slightly different)

Âmesang
2016-05-24, 09:57 AM
Mount: Yogi
Animal Companion: Cindy
Familiar: Boo Boo

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-24, 10:17 AM
Familiar- tressym (flying kitty!)
Companion- watchspider can be turned into a decent poisoner. Has magical beast hd. A good utility pet, but not as tanky as a bear.
Mount- Chocobo (out of a dragon mag. Dont remember what one) Its not a horse! That has to çount for something, I hope. I dont remember too much about it.

There. None of those will require keeping track of pet tricks. Well, the spider will until you raise its int.

Madara
2016-05-24, 12:54 PM
Hippos would be a good pick. There's that one god of hippos or something that you could follow.

kulosle
2016-05-24, 07:31 PM
you can get an imp as a familiar? That seems too good. Anything with polymorph is probably too good. Does anyone know what book the beguiler is from?

I don't want to combine them all for one ubermount. i don't want to do anything to op. the other players are mid level optimizers so i wouldn't want to outshine anyone.

Also i think i'm going to go for a mad scientist feel. The DM said he'd let the abhorent familiar ability apply to all of them and that sounds like fun. He said the same thing for the alienists psuedonatural familiar ability. and that sounds like fun. Someone who owns just the creepiest of pets. And continues to experiment on them with grafts.

I'm going to just stick with the 3 pets, anyone would be too much of a hassle.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-24, 07:37 PM
A better idea of what others are doing would be great, so we can make better suggestions.

How big is your group on roleplaying? If so, I'd go for all wolves. They aren't always the best choices, but they tend to be solid choices. Also, it makes more sense as to why there would be a huge group of them working with your party. Your party is simply a part of their 'pack'. Also comes with the bonus that you can try to pass them off as dogs to get them into civilized areas. Most people don't really approve of bears in their cities unless you're the king to my knowledge.

And if you go halfling, you can ride them!

gorfnab
2016-05-25, 01:35 AM
you can get an imp as a familiar? That seems too good. Anything with polymorph is probably too good. Does anyone know what book the beguiler is from?

The feat Improved Familiar will let you choose an Imp as a familiar if your arcane spellcaster level is 7 or higher and you're within one alignment step of Lawful Evil.

Beguilers can be found in Shining South.

Inevitability
2016-05-25, 02:00 PM
How do you get a bear familiar to work? Bonus question: Can you make everything the same creature (and actually have a huge benefit off of it?)

There's an ACF in UA that allows a wizard to exchange their familiar for an animal companion at 1/2 level progression. That's right, wizards can get a better animal companion than rangers.

You may shake your fists or similar appendages in anger and disbelief now.

Other than the fact that it isn't explicitly listed, I don't know of any rule that says your familiar can't be a bear.

And I don't know of any rule that says my familiar can't be a pseudonatural paragon great wyrm prismatic dragon! Aren't I clever?

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-25, 02:51 PM
Popular familiar choices are-

Raven, Thrush, or Parrot, since they can talk and fly. Talking's useful for a familiar, delivering messages is great.

Rabbit, for the initiative bonus.

Hedgehog, Rat, Weasel for the save bonuses.

Or just whatever the player thinks is cool.

For a weird, yet non-feat-requiring, familiar, there's the Ioun Wyrd, which is a bundle of magical rocks. And gives +1 AC.

Coidzor
2016-05-26, 01:02 AM
Drakkensteed gets you a flying horse without using DMG alternate mounts upon leveling.

Devoted tracker feat lets you combine mount and animal companion. With generic classes, one to combine familiar and mount or companion would make sense, too, given the ability to do so as class abilities of certain ACFs/PrCs.