PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Duskblade Character Build

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-24, 09:39 AM
Hey everybody,

My friend is getting married and we are doing a mini campaign for his bachelor party.

We are starting at level 6 and plan to get up to lvl 8 or so. State allocation is 78 total attribute points, nothing can be higher than 18 or lower than 8 before racial adjustments.

Trying to get an idea of good races (besides humans) to use and what feats to get.
Orcs are a major race in the world but did not like the idea of sunlight sensitivity.

Currently I was leaning towards:

STR 16 +1 (lvl 4) +1 (lvl 8)
CON 14
DEX 14
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats
Lvl 1 Knowledge Devotion
Lvl 3 Power Attack
Lvl 6 ???

Items
Starting with standard gold for lvl 6 and not sure if mithral fullplate is worth it. It would take up almost all my gold. Thinking either Falchion or Greatsword, if human maybe spiked chain for a weapon. Is a rod of extend spell worth it at that lvl range?

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: This is D&D 3.5 just in case.

Falcon X
2016-05-24, 10:05 AM
When I played a duskblade, I did a tripping build. Especially useful at level 13 when you get to channel your spell through the bonus attack from Improved Trip, but good either way.

Great choice, BTW. I love duskblade.

Darrin
2016-05-24, 10:37 AM
Orcs are a major race in the world but did not like the idea of sunlight sensitivity.

Sundark Goggles. 10 GP, Races of the Dragon p. 123.

Water Orc (Unearthed Arcana p. 18) is generally good, but the Int penalty on a Duskblade might be a bit of a bother.

Feats
Lvl 1 Knowledge Devotion
Lvl 3 Power Attack
Lvl 6 ???

A reserve feat... maybe Acidic Splatter, if you can fit in an [acid] spell somewhere.

Items
Starting with standard gold for lvl 6 and not sure if mithral fullplate is worth it.

Mithral breastplate is usually the go-to armor for gishes, although darkleaf is a little cheaper.

Thinking either Falchion or Greatsword, if human maybe spiked chain for a weapon.

I have never understood why anyone would take the falchion. Numbers-wise, the greatsword is still superior.

If you want to save a feat, consider the duom from Dragon Compendium: martial (not exotic) reach weapon, can attack adjacent.

Is a rod of extend spell worth it at that lvl range?

Depends on what you're extending. If it's a transmutation spell, then taking some Fairy Dust (100 GP each, Complete Mage) might be cheaper.

Willie the Duck
2016-05-24, 11:54 AM
First of all, although Power Attack is the go-to warrior (and Gish) feat, will you get to use it much in the timeframe of this brief game? Duskblades do not get wraithstrike, so you do not have the easy way not to miss every time you attack with power attack. As for what to take, consider a bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium or Arcane Disciple. Duskblades, like sorcerers, are starved for spell options, and those am that up. Also look at Versatile Spellcaster. Turning 0 level spells into shocking grasps is helpful to your aims.

Hiro Quester
2016-05-24, 11:55 AM
Arcane Strike is pretty much essential on a duskblade. Free action sacrifice a spell to get +spell level untyped (stacks with everything else) bonus on all attacks, plus 1d4 x spell level extra damage on every attack you make that round.

Obtain Familiar is also useful, since your familiar can deliver touch spells, and duskblade gets a decent number of useful ones.

Look at your spell list. Extend spell is useful, but do you have level 3 or lower spells you would want to extend? I don't see that many.

Edit: Greater Magic Weapon is a 3rd level spell. Extending that might be worth it (turn 6 hours into 12 hours/casting)

And in case you haven't seen it, here's Dictum Mortuum's Duskblade Handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/duskblade-handbook.html)

Willie the Duck
2016-05-24, 12:04 PM
Arcane Strike is pretty much essential on a duskblade. Free action sacrifice a spell to get +spell level untyped (stacks with everything else) bonus on all attacks, plus 1d4 x spell level extra damage on every attack you make that round.

So at 6-8th level, with your 2attacks, get up to +2 hit, +2d4 damage 5-7 x day, when you can already burn your 1st level spells to get +5d6? It's useful, don't get me wrong. I would not call it essential.

Hiro Quester
2016-05-24, 12:06 PM
So at 6-8th level, with your 2attacks, get up to +2 hit, +2d4 damage 5-7 x day, when you can already burn your 1st level spells to get +5d6? It's useful, don't get me wrong. I would not call it essential.

Oh. Right. I wasn't considering that you are only playing levels 6-8, when you will only have second level spells.
Scratch what I said about GMW too, then, obviously.

Troacctid
2016-05-24, 12:13 PM
You can't take Knowledge Devotion at level 1, since it requires 5 ranks in a Knowledge skill.

You could do something like take Slayer of Dragons at 1st level, then become a dragonborn at 2nd level and retrain it to Knowledge Devotion since you no longer qualify. That would work. Dragonborn pairs pretty well with water orc anyway.

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-24, 01:25 PM
I saw water orc and was intrigued. So the Racial ability modifiers are simply +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, right? They replace the generic Orc's modifiers?

Also, for power attack, I was thinking True Strike would get me +20 on an attack roll so at lvl 6 I could -6 to hit for a +12 damage. Which looking at shocking grasp again is less than the avg damage shocking grasp would give me.

Troacctid
2016-05-24, 01:49 PM
I saw water orc and was intrigued. So the Racial ability modifiers are simply +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, right? They replace the generic Orc's modifiers?
Correct.

Also, for power attack, I was thinking True Strike would get me +20 on an attack roll so at lvl 6 I could -6 to hit for a +12 damage. Which looking at shocking grasp again is less than the avg damage shocking grasp would give me.
The problem with this is that True Strike requires a standard action, which means you are spending two turns making a single attack. The extra damage you get is usually less than what you would have gotten had you simply used those two turns to make two attacks.

This isn't to say that True Strike is a useless spell—it can be worth casting if you begin a fight too far away to close to melee in the first round, or if you're getting brickwalled by something like a will-o'-wisp that has very high AC. But it shouldn't be your Plan A.

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-24, 02:01 PM
The problem with this is that True Strike requires a standard action, which means you are spending two turns making a single attack. The extra damage you get is usually less than what you would have gotten had you simply used those two turns to make two attacks.

This isn't to say that True Strike is a useless spell—it can be worth casting if you begin a fight too far away to close to melee in the first round, or if you're getting brickwalled by something like a will-o'-wisp that has very high AC. But it shouldn't be your Plan A.

Ahh, I was thinking you could just channel it as part of the attack. The other way is to use my 1/day swift spell ability but is there something that is a better use of the swift spell ability?

Troacctid
2016-05-24, 02:04 PM
True Strike is a fine use for your 1/day swift action spell, but a 1/day ability can't really be your Plan A either.

Willie the Duck
2016-05-24, 02:57 PM
Ahh, I was thinking you could just channel it as part of the attack. The other way is to use my 1/day swift spell ability but is there something that is a better use of the swift spell ability?

Channel only works for touch spells, likewise their effects only occur once the attack action is successfully resolved. As for the 1/day ability, don't plan a use for it. Don't even choose spells based on how they interact with a once a day ability. It's once a day. You will find something to do with it (it is always nice to throw up a resist elements or see invisible without taking your full round to do so), but it should not, and will not, inform your basic combat strategies.

mouser13
2016-05-24, 03:39 PM
One thing I been thinking about trying is diping one level of sorc and practice spell caster. So get alot more shocking grasps and blade of bloods a day. per day. Also if you dm will allow it extra spell. Says any spell you normally restricted form. Wording of spell list I believe says restricted spell list. I though about going shield for it and going into arg Champion.

Willie the Duck
2016-05-24, 10:51 PM
Pretty sure you'd have to give up your armor to use those sorc spells.

Tsig
2016-05-25, 04:15 AM
Hey everybody,

My friend is getting married and we are doing a mini campaign for his bachelor party.

We are starting at level 6 and plan to get up to lvl 8 or so. State allocation is 78 total attribute points, nothing can be higher than 18 or lower than 8 before racial adjustments.

Trying to get an idea of good races (besides humans) to use and what feats to get.

Currently I was leaning towards:

STR 16 +1 (lvl 4) +1 (lvl 8)
CON 14
DEX 14
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats
Lvl 1 Knowledge Devotion
Lvl 3 Power Attack
Lvl 6 ???

Items
Starting with standard gold for lvl 6 and not sure if mithral fullplate is worth it. It would take up almost all my gold. Thinking either Falchion or Greatsword, if human maybe spiked chain for a weapon. Is a rod of extend spell worth it at that lvl range?

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: This is D&D 3.5 just in case.

Since you're not really going past 2nd level spells, you can swap your Int and Con scores around. Also consider swapping around the levels you get Power Attack and Knowledge Devotion.

For your Dex, Mithral Fullplate wouldn't be terrible, especially since you're not planning to take the character through many levels and won't really get enough +Dex to make the Breastplate worth it.

Personally, I love the Falchion, but I picked it more for flavor than for damage. If you want good damage, the Greatsword is your best bet. Since you're only going to get one Arcane Channeling attack per round, Spiked Chain isn't really worth it without Improved Trip.

If you're wanting to hit something really, REALLY hard, then go for the Quick Cast: True Strike, Arcane Channel: Shocking Grasp, then Power Attack for 6. With a 2 handed weapon, you're still swinging at a +20 from True Strike, so unless you roll a 1, you should be fine. Then, you get +12 to your damage from Power Attacking with a 2 handed weapon, +5d6 from Shocking Grasp. If that doesn't outright kill whatever you hit, it's certainly not going to be feeling very good afterwords.

Races, Half-Orc would be good for the boost to Str and Con, plus the Int hit shouldn't be too bad since you'll only have 2nd level spells anyway. If it looks like you'll make it to level 9 before the campaign ends, I'd suggest picking up a +Int item to bump you back up to 14. Humans are good too for the extra skill points and Feat, especially if you really want to go with Knowledge Devotion.

Versatile Spellcaster is good, since it'll let you use your Level 1 spells to power your Level 2 spells.

I'm still somewhat new to the Duskblade myself, only been playing it for about a month now, but these have just been my observations so far. Feel free to disregard them if you want.

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-25, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the helpful input again everyone.

Found out the DM wants the bachelor to be the only Orc for story reasons so I am probably just going to play a human. The other characters are ones they have used in the past and slowly get to play so I want to make the Duskblade viable at higher levels just in case. Here is what I am thinking so far:

Human

STR 18 +1 (lvl 4)
CON 14
DEX 12
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats
Lvl 1 Power Attack
Human Bonus Versatile Spellcaster
Lvl 2 Bonus Combat Casting
Lvl 3 Knowledge Devotion
Lvl 6 Obtain Familiar (Owl?)

Skills I plan on basicly picking a several knowledges, concentration, and maybe a few points in sense motive or spellcraft?

Willie the Duck
2016-05-25, 11:06 AM
Obtain Familiar or Arcane Disciple/Bloodline for added spells to cast. Most everything else you could grab would be predominantly long term investments that won't pay off.

I'd pick sense motive over spellcraft just because an 8 charisma character isn't going to win people over, so they'd better know which ones of those are going to turn around and shiv them. :-P

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-25, 12:20 PM
Obtain Familiar or Arcane Disciple/Bloodline for added spells to cast. Most everything else you could grab would be predominantly long term investments that won't pay off.

I'd pick sense motive over spellcraft just because an 8 charisma character isn't going to win people over, so they'd better know which ones of those are going to turn around and shiv them. :-P

What about the collector of stories feat? it would be helping to optimize knowledge devotion to allow not as many skill points needed. I think I ideally, as a character, would aim to be able to hit the 36 mark on a roll of 10 or higher so with collector of storied i would only need 18 in the most often used skills.

EDIT: Also, would I better served with 16 strength and either 16 con or 14 dex?

Willie the Duck
2016-05-25, 01:49 PM
Collector of Stories is a Skill Trick, not a Feat. It simply costs 2 skill points, and has a prereq of one knowledge at 5+ ranks. Once you hit 2nd level (or at least 3rd, when you pick up Knowledge Devotion), take it.

As for attributes, you know your DM better than I do. Higher dex and AC keep you alive, but strength can end a fight quicker. You are a lightly armored frontliner/skirmisher, so all the Dex and Con you can get are always a great idea. OTOH, it's hard to pass up having your STR as high as possible for a melee combat class.

Personally, I would sacrifice Str (and even Int, as in you won't be getting 3rd level spells) to get the dex and con up there. You have ways of adding to your damage output other than having a +4 strength bonus (and thus +6 damage with the 2h weapon I assume you will use). But again, it is all based on your DM and your gaming style.

Master O'Laughs
2016-05-27, 06:27 AM
So for Equipment.

I have 13000 to work with and was wondering what are some key pieces needed. So far I have:

Mithral Breastplate (4200)
Handy Haversack (2000)
Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000)

Anything important? I couldn't decide on a magic weapon buff and I gather I will want to avoid simply a plus 1 if I start to use GMW.

Willie the Duck
2016-05-27, 07:58 AM
Who is casting this greater magic weapon? You won't be, it's a 3rd level spell.

Frankly, however, you're right. Avoid the +1 weapon and get a masterwork cold iron weapon for under 400 gp. If you run into something that needs magic to affect it, use magic weapon on it. Also a (maybe MW) silver dagger and a bludgeoning weapon backup. That means you have something to say to DR piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, magic, cold iron, and silver. If your DM is throwing DR/adamantine or anything with an "and" in it at that level, you'll just have to blow past it with 2-handed strength big weapons and your channeled spells.

Masterwork, mighty (+ to your str bonus) composite longbow as a backup for fliers, etc. is hard to argue with for the price, although you can have Kelgore's Fire Bolt and Scorching Rays if you prefer that route.

I'm not sure a ring of pro+1 or amulet of NA +1 is worth the 2000 for you, but putting +1 on the breastplate for 1000 probably is.

Don't forget crowbars, hammer and pitons, rope and grapple, bunch of masterwork healer's kits, climbing kits, ear cones, what-have-yous to give +2s to the basic dungeon-navigating skills you haven't chosen.
Despite the likelihood that your party will also include a wizard, at this level they are still limited in low-level spells (and-or using them to finish fights, not get people up walls).
Frankly, the rest of your wbl could go to these kind of things like eyes of eagle, gloves of climbing and swimming, cloak/boots of elvinkind, ring of jumping, ring of sustenance, etc. and use it as character definition as a "always prepared" guy.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-27, 08:03 AM
A +1 on your armour can't hurt (1000 gp).
A healing belt provides 4d8-6d8 healing per day (depending on how you use the item), for only 750 gp. A standard action heal for 4d8 is not bad at all.
Ankelts of translocation provide some tactical mobility. For 1400 gp, you get two 10-foot swift action teleports per day. A chronocharm of the horizon walker allows you to move half your speed as a swift action, once a day, and costs 500 gp. Dimension stride boots allow five 20-foot teleports per day, but as a standard action, so that's of limited use.
If you're going to be fighting mages, a dispelling cord is practical - +2 on dispel checks, as a swift action, five times per day, for only 1000 gp.

Darrin
2016-05-27, 08:57 AM
I couldn't decide on a magic weapon buff and I gather I will want to avoid simply a plus 1 if I start to use GMW.

Greatsword +1 with a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and a wand of blade of blood (750 GP). Adding any properties to that is going to suck up at least 6000 GP, so I'm not sure I'd add anything. I'm tempted to add a Lesser Crystal of Acid Assault (3000 GP, MIC), but that doesn't leave much room for anything else. Actually, I think we can throw a Least Crystal of Return on there (300 GP, MIC) so you can draw it as a free action.

Mithral Breastplate (4200)
Handy Haversack (2000)
Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000)

Get a darkleaf breastplate +1 (A&EG or Eberron Campaign Setting). Cheaper.

Price
Slot
Item
Notes

Held
Greatsword +1
Wand Chamber (100 GP), wand of blade of blood (750 GP), Least Crystal of Return (300 GP)

Body
Darkleaf Breastplate +1
Darkleaf (2250 GP), Masterwork (150 GP)

Back
Heward's Handy Haversack
Waste of money. Don't even bother. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)&p=8235865)

Throat
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker
MIC p. 86. Swift-action movement 1/day.

Arms
Armband of Elusive Action
MIC p. 72. Get-out-of-AoO-Free Card 1/day.

Hands
Arcanist's Gloves
MIC p. 72. +2 CL on 1st level spell 2/day. Consider upgrading to Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC) for "I can haz pew-pew lazerz".

Shoulders
Cloak of Resistance +1
Kinda boring but standard issue. Consider replacing/upgrading with Travel Cloak (1200 GP, Magic of Faerun) or Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC).

Waist
Healing Belt
MIC p. 110. The obligatory murderhobo membership card.

Potion Belt
Chaos Flask
Planar Handbook p. 76. Megapede poison, diamond dust, golden desert honey, etc. Or look up flux slime in the Epic Level Handbook.

Spell Component Pouch
Angel Down
Complete Mage p. 135. Add to an abjuration spell for free Extend.

Spell Component Pouch
Fairy Dust
Complete Mage p. 136. Add to an transmutation spell for free Extend.

Worn
Feather Fall Talisman
Sharn City of Towers p. 170. AKA "Eff You Mr. Pit Trap!"

Total

noce
2016-05-27, 10:40 AM
I have never understood why anyone would take the falchion. Numbers-wise, the greatsword is still superior.

Assuming you hit on a 2, falchion overtakes greatsword when the bonus damage from strength, power attack, knowledge devotion, weapon enhancements and feats exceeds 42.
A keen falchion overtakes a keen greatsword when the bonus damage exceeds 23.

Assuming you hit on a 10, a regular falchion is better than a regular greatsword when bonus damage exceeds 26, a keen falchion is better than a keen greatsword when bonus damage exceeds 15.

The fact is, a critical hit multiplies bonus damage too, so on average +2 damage is inferior to higher critical chance.