PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me fill my party.

dj543210
2016-05-24, 01:54 PM
We're starting a pathfinder group and I need help figuring out what roles need to be filled. So far we have:
• A life shaman
• A wizard
• A bard
• An archer ranger
• And a fighter
What classes should we add? We have three players still looking for their classes.

Gildedragon
2016-05-24, 02:01 PM
A rogue (for traps and dpr)
A paladin (for punchy and talky)
A different sort of wizard? Maybe a sorcerer
An alchemist? Port over 3.5s artificer
Though at a table of 8... I'd split this into 2 4-person groups

Necromancy
2016-05-24, 02:28 PM
Tetori monk
You have a lot of squishy and need control

Ahus
2016-05-24, 02:48 PM
You should get someone or two who can use "Trapfinding" though they needn't be a rogue. you could use some more Melee, and another couple of casters.

Personally I'd toss in an Arcanist with a Varient Multiclass in Rogue. The second level spell Pilfering Hand mostly makes the Arcane Trickster PrC obsolete and is a useful Debuff vs anyone using manufactured weapons. Arcanist also works well with the Wizard already in the party as they can share spellbooks on down time.

A Magus and/or Cleric (or even would be my next recommendation, though they fill different needs. A Magus will help out with the DpR and also add to the pool of arcane knowledge on the team, but a cleric would add a whole different set of capabilities. While you have a shaman and there is some overlap with the Cleric it is different enough to justify both if your group is big enough.

Maybe an Investigator, another source of Trapfinding and inspiration boosts most skill checks by 1d6. While not a huge damage dealer they are pretty much guaranteeing a hit vs one bad guy even more so than the fighter. As a part time Alchemist they will Benefit from the Collective spell knowledge pool as well as providing an additional healing capability.

Dravda
2016-05-25, 02:00 AM
Pathfinder is versatile enough that class distinctions are, in my opinion, less-than-relevant. Instead, I would look at what ROLES the group fills within the party. Do they contribute directly to the combat ending by dealing damage? Do they benefit the party and leverage their ability to bring their strengths to bear? Do they hinder the enemy and impede the enemy's ability to bring THEIR strengths to bear?

This article, The Forge of Combat (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i5hWkHXHOetRlpLOmxbpoEWod77psN0JcwFvxClNrGc/edit) breaks it all down nicely, and makes for some very interesting reading.

Spore
2016-05-25, 04:24 AM
What classes should we add? We have three players still looking for their classes.

Though at a table of 8...

Do a Broodmaster Summoner or Master Summoner. Use the possibility. If your turns already take 1,5 hours why not make it two by flanking with your zerglings?

Florian
2016-05-25, 05:18 AM

Instead of class, look at roles and functions, followed by synergies.

You seem to lack someone being able to handle traps (Rogue or Investigator), handle serious burst damage (Magus or Paladin) and a caster-Druid to handle nature-based control.

Necromancy
2016-05-25, 01:37 PM
Party of 8 means you're going to be going through some larger sized battles. You definitely need more PCs would can manage front line combat. 1 fighter and 7 bathrobes will be a slaughter

Xuldarinar
2016-05-25, 06:04 PM
There is always room for Jello.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AFt_pYnNSyw/VZQoYQUUxxI/AAAAAAAAAC0/N2cDIKsCFYA/s400/Gelatinous_Cube.JPG

In all seriousness, I think it depends upon what the players are looking for. I note the occult classes arn't getting much mention.