PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain to me about music from India?

Donnadogsoth
2016-05-24, 03:13 PM
I have a theory about India, you see, and I'm wondering how Indian music fits into that theory. I don't understand, nor have had much exposure to, Indian music. It must be a vast catalogue, considering how big and how old India is, but I'm searching for what might be called "essential India". Modern musical offerings are probably only peripherally important, what Madonna is to Vivaldi in our terms. Is there a body of "classical Indian music" and if so, what does it sound like, and what is it supposed to sound like to the people in that culture? Does it have common themes to it, or is it endlessly diverse? Perhaps I'm not even asking the right questions, I am so ignorant of the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

Aedilred
2016-05-24, 03:44 PM
I have a theory about India, you see, and I'm wondering how Indian music fits into that theory. I don't understand, nor have had much exposure to, Indian music. It must be a vast catalogue, considering how big and how old India is, but I'm searching for what might be called "essential India". Modern musical offerings are probably only peripherally important, what Madonna is to Vivaldi in our terms. Is there a body of "classical Indian music" and if so, what does it sound like, and what is it supposed to sound like to the people in that culture? Does it have common themes to it, or is it endlessly diverse? Perhaps I'm not even asking the right questions, I am so ignorant of the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

This (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_classical_music) looks like it might be helpful :smallwink:

It does look like the Indian "classical" tradition is (unsurprisingly) pretty different from the western one.

Donnadogsoth
2016-05-27, 12:16 PM
This (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_classical_music) looks like it might be helpful :smallwink:

It does look like the Indian "classical" tradition is (unsurprisingly) pretty different from the western one.

Thanks, Aedilred.

TheThan
2016-06-04, 05:48 PM
All you need to know is that its’ bloody awful.

Ok so when I was younger; we used to have a neighbor that used to blare Indian music as loudly as possible constantly.

It got so bad that one day, my dad who’s a musician, decided to fight fire with fire. He took out his banjo took out the muffle (you can muffle a closed back banjo by taking the back off and stuffing a folded up towel in it and then replace the back) and then sat outside and pick his banjo all day until it stopped. The combination of Indian music and bluegrass banjo was hilarious. Eventually that guy moved away and we were left with blissful silence.

Fri
2016-06-04, 06:29 PM
He's asking about classical music, not pop music. The vivaldi to madonna, as he said. What you heard are most likely pop songs.