PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for LA (Rime Sprite)

Thurbane
2016-05-24, 10:53 PM
Hey all,

Looking at this archived article earlier Snow and Ice: Monsters of the Frozen Lands (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030223a)

Just wondering how you'd eyeball a Level Adjustment for the Rime Sprite:

Tiny Fey (Cold)
Str -6, Dex +10, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +8
Speed 40 ft, fly 80 ft (perfect), swim 60 ft
SA: ray of frost, snow flurry, SLAs
SQ: low-light vision, SR 5, water walk
Bonus feats: Dodge*, Mobility, Improved Initiative* (2 of these)

Comparing it to, say, a Pixie (at LA +4), it's not as strong. It's significantly better than a Grig, who sits at +3. However, flight, tiny size and high Dex and Cha mods would make it a very good Rogue or caster (Bard, Sorcerer). It's Int and Wis mods would also make for a solid Cleric, Wizard or Druid.

Knowing how the playground hates LA, I'm guessing a lot would push for LA +2, or LA +1. Personally, I'd lean towards LA +3 (I try to stick closer to WotC inflated LAs when I'm guesstimating). Snow flurry is a decent offensive power - targets what is often a weak save, Dazes for 1d4 rounds, and affects any creature type (except those specifically immune to Daze); also being Su, no SR applies. It's SLAs aren't much to write home about (3/day Entangle being the best).

Also, if it were allowed as a PC, what would you say about the following:

Favored Class: Sorcerer (or maybe Bard)?
SR that scales with levels - may SR = class levels +4?

Cheers - T

Divide by Zero
2016-05-25, 12:41 AM
Comparing it to the Petal from MM3, which has +2 LA:

Size is the same, Cold subtype is a wash since Fire attacks are so common
Slightly higher Strength, but same total bonuses in the other stats - Petal probably has a more generally useful spread since it gets +Con instead of +Wis
+ Better fly speed, swim speed
Special attacks are pretty minor on both sides, at least beyond the lowest levels
- Same vision, SR 5 is much less useful than DR 5/cold iron, water walk is pointless when you can fly
Hard to rule on the feats since it's not clear which one are the bonus feats

I'd put it at either a high +2 or a low +3, depending on how strong the better fly speed is in your campaign.

Thurbane
2016-05-25, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I'd probably sit it as LA +3 for my game. Thanks.

So, any thoughts on favored class, and scaling SR?

A_S
2016-05-25, 08:03 PM
Favored class: Maybe Rogue? Fits the description of their personality, and they could Sneak Attack with Ray of Frost.

SR = HD+4 is so low it'll rarely matter. It certainly wouldn't break anything to give them that at LA+3.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-25, 09:19 PM
With SR=HD+4 and LA +3, a level-appropriate opponent with CL=CR will beat your SR on a 1. I'd up the base value if you want it to be worth anything.

Fizban
2016-05-26, 02:19 AM
I'd agree with +3. That flight is just too good for +2, and the Snow Flurry/SLAs aren't nothing either. It should compare fine to Half-Celestial/Fiend there, though it would more likely be compared unfavorably to Half-Fey (which is just OP compared to the other Half-X's).

Thurbane
2016-05-27, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback - Rogue sounds good as favored class.

I think I'll keep the SR at class levels +4, to keep it consistent with the monster entry. Yes, it's not very useful, but if the BBEG has low level mooks throwing around spells or SLAs, or the enemies are using Wands with low CL, it'll still be handy.