PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslinger dilemma

D4rkh0rus
2016-05-25, 12:58 AM
Hey playground, I am having a bit of a dilemma for a campaign I'm in... And I need some help deciding what to do.
Ok, so I'm currently playing a gunslinger, human, I was going for the gun twirling with double barrel pistols line of stuff to end up with around 16-20 attacks on a full attack, with all the gunslinger and deadly aim shenanigans.
The problem is that I misread crafting rules, and turns out that paper cartridges (which I need for free action reloading) cost 12gp to buy and 6gp to make, instead of the 1.2gp to make I thought they costed.
Which ends in me knowing that down the line, I won't be able to bring out the best of my character without shelling out ~120 gp for a full attack. Which does pile up more than ~24 gp

Now, there is a lot of downtime (around 5 days downtime per session in this campaign) so retraining is a possibility, although I am currently a maverick gunslinger, so switching to Bolt ace (the cheaper slinger archetype) would take me 30 days, meaning I would have to quit for 30 days and miss on the sessions, or I would have to think of something else.
The other option would be to create a new character at lvl 3 (currently lvl 4, almost 5)
Like wise, I would only be able to retrain a single level in between each session.

I am a human with
Str 11, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15
I can't change scores nor alter the racial choices unless I reroll
I've already tried asking to be able to use an item that refills itself with cartridges each round or to apply a similar thing to Agile To a bow but nope.

So, The question goes, is there any item or spell that solves this cost problem? (Capable of giving me the ammunition or allowing me to reload 16-20 times per round) It can't be a custom item nor can it be 3rd party.
Or, otherwise,
What class (ranged combat) could I retrain into that would allow me to dish out a similar amount of damage (or at least half) of what dual double barrel pistols could dish out.

Thanks in Advance to whomever tries to help me out with this. :p

Geddy2112
2016-05-25, 01:19 AM
The best I can think of is the http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/abundant-ammunition spell, meaning you will net no spent ammo per combat, and even if you get it on a wand it is 1min/level so should last the whole combat.

You also want the greater reliable enchantment to prevent misfires, as getting a jam shuts down your dakka. Even with alchemical cartridges, your misfire range will be zero with greater reliable.

tropical_punch
2016-05-25, 04:23 AM
This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/shadowshooting) is exactly what you're looking for.

Florian
2016-05-25, 05:08 AM
@D4rkH0rus:

Sorry to tell you but every ranged martial class has to pay for the ability to full attack every round by reserving WBL for ammunition.

Necroticplague
2016-05-25, 07:49 AM
Well, at higher levels, you could replace the character with one who's race is a Pale Stranger. Or your could get a Pistol of the Infinite Sky. Unfortunately, both are rather high-level option (CR 15 creature, really expensive pistol).

D4rkh0rus
2016-05-25, 10:32 AM
This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/shadowshooting) is exactly what you're looking for.
Whoa, that... Is very, Very good for me, since my damage won't be from dice but rather static. This is great, real great
Thank you so much.

@D4rkH0rus:

Sorry to tell you but every ranged martial class has to pay for the ability to full attack every round by reserving WBL for ammunition.

That is true, but since enchantments on the weapon transfer to the ammo, an archer or crossbowman can use regular arrows or bolts and have a few special ones in case they are needed, so in general, they spend around 1gp per round at most.
As a gunslinger, I would have to spend 120gp If I do 20 attacks during that round... There is a rather noticeable difference of 12000%

Well, at higher levels, you could replace the character with one who's race is a Pale Stranger. Or your could get a Pistol of the Infinite Sky. Unfortunately, both are rather high-level option (CR 15 creature, really expensive pistol).

Can't change race unless I reroll at lvl 3. So yeah, and the pistol of the infinite sky isn't a double pistol.

Either way, tropical punch more or less nailed it like a boss. Thanks playground!

Arutema
2016-05-25, 12:25 PM
Ok, so I'm currently playing a gunslinger, human, I was going for the gun twirling with double barrel pistols line of stuff to end up with around 16-20 attacks on a full attack, with all the gunslinger and deadly aim shenanigans.

You may wish to read the faq/errata on double firearms (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9tqm), and despair.

D4rkh0rus
2016-05-25, 07:33 PM
Since when is that? I checked the pfsrd yesterday and it didn't say anything about standard action >< damn you paaaaaaizoooooo (in epic movie voice)

Well, since that's out then.... I guess the question got reworded.... Stay gunslinger with only 8-10 attacks at higher lvls.... Or swap classes into some other ranged weapon.