PDA

View Full Version : Putting Speed on a Double Weapon

NerdHut
2016-05-25, 09:19 AM
So I just thought up an idea for an NPC (ally or enemy, haven't decided quite yet) for my campaign. The idea is that he'd have impressive speed in combat, so that instead of hitting hard, he just hits a lot.

The first steps here are obviously getting a good BAB and using either two weapons or a double weapon. After that, applying the Speed enhancement to his weapon would add attacks. The issue here is this: if I enchant two weapons or both ends of a double weapon with Speed, should the character get two extra swings on a full attack, or just the one?

I realize that's partly on DM discretion, but since I prefer to be reasonable on my rulings I figured I'd ask some outside opinions.

hamishspence
2016-05-25, 09:30 AM
"make one extra attack with it"

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed

If you have two speed weapons and attack with both, it logically follows that you can make one extra attack with each one - hence two extra attacks total.

Certainly that's the way all statblocks I've seen of dual-speed-weapon users represent it.

OldTrees1
2016-05-25, 09:30 AM
1) Putting Speed(+3 enhancement) on both ends of a double weapon would grant +2 attacks in my book.
2) Remember that lots of attacks is a multiplier effect. So make sure each of your attacks matters. Personally I like status effects (Dire Flail Smash and Staggering Strike for examples) and combat maneuvers like Knockback/Knock-down.
3) Consider the Whirling Frenzy alternate Barbarian rage class feature [Unearthed Arcana]
4) Consider a dip in Fighter(Kensai) [Dragon Magazine], not only do they get 1 free proficiency(your weapon of choice) but they have 2 extra feat options that add extra attacks
5) You can buy Improved Two Weapon Fighting gloves if you already have the Two Weapon Fighting feat. However I advise against Greater Two Weapon Fighting or Two Weapon Rend.
6) Did you know there is a feat(Double Hit) that lets you make 2 attacks per Attack of Opportunity and it only counts as 1 against your limit per round?

Jormengand
2016-05-25, 09:32 AM
I think the benefit from the front of your doublesword is a similar benefit to the same benefit, only from the back of your doublesword. So no, it's not cumulative.

AnimeTheCat
2016-05-25, 01:10 PM
So, double weapons like the Dire Flail, Orc Double Axe, Two-Bladed Sword, etc. state that each end of the weapon can be enchanted as different weapons. So, if you have speed on one end of the weapon you gain an extra attack with that end of the weapon. If you put speed on both ends, it stands to reason that you could in fact get an extra attack with each end. You're looking at a +4 for each end, so it won't be particularly cheap, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Troacctid
2016-05-25, 01:33 PM
The benefit of the Speed property is not cumulative with similar effects, which includes itself. It does not stack.

AnimeTheCat
2016-05-25, 01:39 PM
The benefit of the Speed property is not cumulative with similar effects, which includes itself. It does not stack.

You're not stacking it though, you putting it on another weapon essentially. Each blade can be enchanted separately.

I didn't read the enchantment properly. You're right.

OldTrees1
2016-05-25, 02:09 PM

RAW^

Personally I don't see a reason for such a limit in this kind of a case and thus, via DM discretion, I would allow it to stack.

@OP: Reasonable DMs are falling on both sides of the issue. So either way seems like a valid ruling.

2016-05-25, 02:13 PM
By RAW, this doesn't work; that being said, I don't think it'd be that problematic to let a dual wielder of any kind with dual Speed weapons get two extra attacks.

Âmesang
2016-05-25, 06:41 PM
It may be a holdover from 3.0, but both ends of the quarterstaff of alacrity, a +5 quarterstaff of speed, "have equal enhancement and special powers, meaning that it allows an additional attack with each end every round."