PDA

View Full Version : Comics DC Rebirth

t209
2016-05-25, 12:27 PM
Anyone have read this issue, we'll post your opinions on the critical parts of issue in spoiler because
A lot of Young Justice fan might be glad and surprised since Kid Flash is back but intrigued since he became the Flash, married not to Artemis but to Linda Park, and basically booted out once his uncle came back before erased in New 52.
Then to make it worse, he never come out of Speedforce since Linda didn't recognize him in that universe. :smallfrown:

DiscipleofBob
2016-05-25, 08:22 PM
Anyone have read this issue, we'll post your opinions on the critical parts of issue in spoiler because
A lot of Young Justice fan might be glad and surprised since Kid Flash is back but intrigued since he became the Flash, married not to Artemis but to Linda Park, and basically booted out once his uncle came back before erased in New 52.
Then to make it worse, he never come out of Speedforce since Linda didn't recognize him in that universe. :smallfrown:

Well that's not the Young Justice version but the pre-new 52 version, and the only comics version of Artemis barring the Wonder Woman character of the same name, was a very short-lived version in the Culling.

Also, it wasn't his Linda so she didn't recognize him, but Barry still saved Wally from being erased by the speed force.

Just finished reading the comic, and so far...

I'm not saying this couldn't go south, but right now, DC Rebirth makes up for all the crap of New 52 and the movies combined. It's THAT good.

They are basically admitting Flashpoint to be a huge mistake while taking several not-so-subtle jabs at Didio, Snyder, and the New 52.

Also, Flashpoint restarting the universe only worse turns out to not really be Flash's doing.

It was Dr. Manhattan.

I'm going to go put a bunch of comics on my pull list now.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this...

DC is back.

t209
2016-05-25, 08:26 PM
Well that's not the Young Justice version but the pre-new 52 version, and the only comics version of Artemis barring the Wonder Woman character of the same name, was a very short-lived version in the Culling.

Also, it wasn't his Linda so she didn't recognize him, but Barry still saved Wally from being erased by the speed force.

Just finished reading the comic, and so far...

I'm not saying this couldn't go south, but right now, DC Rebirth makes up for all the crap of New 52 and the movies combined. It's THAT good.

They are basically admitting Flashpoint to be a huge mistake while taking several not-so-subtle jabs at Didio, Snyder, and the New 52.

Also, Flashpoint restarting the universe only worse turns out to not really be Flash's doing.

It was Dr. Manhattan.

I'm going to go put a bunch of comics on my pull list now.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this...

DC is back.
I know.
but consider that Wally West died in YJ finale might create a mistake by fans.
Just like how Teen Titans cartoon fan might react to New 52 or Terra in Darkest Night.

DiscipleofBob
2016-05-25, 09:05 PM
I think most people realize that the main comic-verse is not the same as the movie verse, tv verse, Timmverse, etc.

Though according to Convergence they are all part of the same multiverse.

Metahuman1
2016-05-25, 11:34 PM
Does this mean everyone is gonna stop being mediocre and horrible mostly for it's own sake, and all the silver age characters are gonna stop having the air they breath worshipped while actively and with all malice @#%^ing all over characters that were developed after that point like Powergirl, Blue Beatle 3, Tim Drake, Cassie Cain, Cassie Sandsmark, Stephanie Brown, John Stuart, Kyle Raigner, Rose Wilson and so on for no other reason then to willfully insist that characters that predate them by arbitrary amounts are just flat better then them just cause?

DiscipleofBob
2016-05-26, 05:38 AM
Does this mean everyone is gonna stop being mediocre and horrible mostly for it's own sake, and all the silver age characters are gonna stop having the air they breath worshipped while actively and with all malice @#%^ing all over characters that were developed after that point like Powergirl, Blue Beatle 3, Tim Drake, Cassie Cain, Cassie Sandsmark, Stephanie Brown, John Stuart, Kyle Raigner, Rose Wilson and so on for no other reason then to willfully insist that characters that predate them by arbitrary amounts are just flat better then them just cause?

The first thing Rebirth does is bring back one of the lost characters while simultaneously decrying Flashpoint as a disaster that needs to be fixed.

Wally West, and I mean the original, the Wally West, though the newer version is shown as well as a separate character.

Also they're bringing back the original Justice Society. And Blue Beetle III specifically makes an appearance WITH Ted Kord.0

So yeah, we're headed in that direction so far.

themaque
2016-05-26, 06:30 AM
I've hear strange rumors I wonder if people can help confirm. tings like...

There will be THREE Jokers running around.

Joker Classic : The original gangster
Joker Dark Chocolate: Killing Joke Joker
Joker X-treme: Nu52 joker

That the Nu52 Superman will die and the pre-crisis superman in his entirety will be back.

Wonder Woman now has a twin brother? Reasons?

Do we know if this is the original charismatic fun smart Blue Beetle 3 or angsty gritty kind-of-a-jerk Blue Beetle 3?

Quild
2016-05-26, 06:38 AM
Fun fact: "New 52" is called "Renaissance DC" in French, which literally means "DC Rebirth"...

DiscipleofBob
2016-05-26, 06:57 AM
I've hear strange rumors I wonder if people can help confirm. tings like...

There will be THREE Jokers running around.

Joker Classic : The original gangster
Joker Dark Chocolate: Killing Joke Joker
Joker X-treme: Nu52 joker

That the Nu52 Superman will die and the pre-crisis superman in his entirety will be back.

Wonder Woman now has a twin brother? Reasons?

Do we know if this is the original charismatic fun smart Blue Beetle 3 or angsty gritty kind-of-a-jerk Blue Beetle 3?

I can confirm that. Batman's first scene is him investigating how there can be three Jokers running around. Considering they've already brought a different reality Superman and the original Wally West, this doesn't bother me as much as there being just one Jared Leto-esque Joker. Kind of fits him. That isn't explored much beyond that this issue.

I can also confirm WW's supposed twin brother. This bothered me a bit more, but I consider them changing WW's n52 origin from molded from clay to another bastard child of Zeus to be pretty offensive, so adding a twin brother doesn't make what was already there much worse. The scene involves a woman holding an infant boy supposedly addressing Darkseid about WW's twin brother named Jason. Don't know much else beyond that. This was probably my least favorite part of the book, but everything else was good IMO.

As for Blue Beetle, it was hard to gauge his personality off of one scene, but he's working with Ted Kord who's rebuilt his classic hovercraft. Doctor Fate shows up and mentions that the scarab might be more magic than alien in nature though. Take that for what you will.

themaque
2016-05-26, 07:24 AM
I can confirm that. Batman's first scene is him investigating how there can be three Jokers running around. Considering they've already brought a different reality Superman and the original Wally West, this doesn't bother me as much as there being just one Jared Leto-esque Joker. Kind of fits him. That isn't explored much beyond that this issue.

I can also confirm WW's supposed twin brother. This bothered me a bit more, but I consider them changing WW's n52 origin from molded from clay to another bastard child of Zeus to be pretty offensive, so adding a twin brother doesn't make what was already there much worse. The scene involves a woman holding an infant boy supposedly addressing Darkseid about WW's twin brother named Jason. Don't know much else beyond that. This was probably my least favorite part of the book, but everything else was good IMO.

As for Blue Beetle, it was hard to gauge his personality off of one scene, but he's working with Ted Kord who's rebuilt his classic hovercraft. Doctor Fate shows up and mentions that the scarab might be more magic than alien in nature though. Take that for what you will.

OKAY then... that's... a thing that happened.

Three Jokers: how long until we get an author who has their favorite joker kill the others? I don't hate this. I don't like it. It a tool I hope they use well.

WW: I am in total agreement with you. On the Claw Vs Aries opinions and on her new brother.

BB: Well.... the scarab had been made to act funky thanks to magic, but more magic than alien? huh... I will... give them more rope. They either hang themselves or get themselves out of the pit they dug.

So what of the Nu52 would you like to see kept around? What would you like to see brought back?

I actually liked what happened with Swamp Thing/ Animal-man.
Who is Batman now? Wayne or Gordon? Both?

Are they keeping the rogues powered? I wouldn't mind so long as they clean up the storylines. (Not a fan of 52-pickup flash)

DiscipleofBob
2016-05-26, 07:41 AM
So what of the Nu52 would you like to see kept around? What would you like to see brought back?

I actually liked what happened with Swamp Thing/ Animal-man.
Who is Batman now? Wayne or Gordon? Both?

Are they keeping the rogues powered? I wouldn't mind so long as they clean up the storylines. (Not a fan of 52-pickup flash)

I'm at work so I'm going mostly off memory, but...

Undo some of the lore changes and put them back where they were. Wonder Woman is the biggest offender I can think of atm in n52. I don't mind some of the new characters, but not at the expense of the original lore. Stuff I'd like to keep from n52? I can't think of anything specific I'd miss if it was gone forever.

As for Batman, the Batman that appeared was unmistakably Bruce. The note from his Flashpoint dad was a key plot point. Don't know if Gordon's Batmech is still around. He wasn't mentioned. Knight and Squire made a brief appearance though.

There's a panel with Swamp Thing asking John Constantine to help bring back Swamp Thing's girlfriend from the dark side. Something Arcane is her name?

Only Rogue mentioned this issue was Captain Boomerang getting annoyed at Wally suddenly showing up in his cell as he's still part of Waller's Suicide Squad.

lord_khaine
2016-05-26, 07:43 AM

Honestly this alone is enough to make me intrigued :smalltongue:

Airea
2016-06-06, 05:35 PM
It's working.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-green-arrow-rebirth-1-sells-over-90000-copies

Anteros
2016-06-07, 03:23 PM
Bruce was already back as Batman before Rebirth. Gordon is back to being a cop.

Airea
2016-06-08, 11:53 AM
That was beyond silly.

t209
2016-06-08, 12:38 PM
So Wally is back but what about Bart Allen?
Dang, some of them never came back.

Airea
2016-06-08, 12:43 PM
So Wally is back but what about Bart Allen?
Dang, some of them never came back.

To be fair Rebirth 1 is out and the single titles are barely out. I'm not saying this will 100% be the case, but frankly we don't know what future issues will bring. I'm excited to find out.

DiscipleofBob
2016-06-09, 07:04 AM
Got a few more Rebirth issues yesterday. Nothing's disappointing yet. No Batman though as it still continues to be sold out.

WW's my favorite DC superhero so I had investment with this one. New 52 did her a lot of disservice: changing her origin from being forged from clay to being just another bastard kid of Zeus, making the Olympians completely unrecognizable and killing them off left and right, and the Superman/WW romance roughly based off of Twilight.

There's not a lot that happens in this Rebirth issue, it's more like a teaser of a single issue of Bleach in terms of actual content, but what is there is well worth it. Mostly foreshadowing for later series, but basically it goes like this:

Wonder Woman is starting to get her old memories back and they're conflicting with her New 52 character, so she uses the Lasso of Truth on herself, which more or less says that her New 52 stuff: being a bastard child of Zeus, becoming god of war instead of truth, and all of N52 Olympus, are somehow a massive lie and she's been deceived this entire time. So now she needs to figure out what happened to ACTUAL Olympus and Greek gods.

Basically a continuation of the main Rebirth storyline. Pre-N52 Wally is rescued from vanishing forever into the Speed Force and Barry starts to get his memories back.

Wally goes off to find the Teen Titans and Barry goes to Batman.

Apparently Batman discovered the Comedian's badge sometime ago but thought it was just something the Joker somehow left as a calling card for some fire or aborted crime. All he knows is some weird radiation is on the blood on the badge, so he and Barry decide they don't have enough information to go to the League yet. Instead they're going to coordinate their investigations to find out what's going on, and the issue ends with a speedy yellow silhouette, so probably Reverse-Flash.

Speaking of Batman...

The issue starts with Azrael being attacked by a silhouette that looks like Batman. But actual Batman shows up to investigate the scuffle and has no idea what's going on, only that someone is using Bat-shaped drones to spy on him, the Bat-family, and anyone who could be considered part of the Bat-family.

In response, he gets Kate Kane (Batwoman), who is thankfully NOT a vampire as far as we can tell, to form a team of potential bat sidekicks, including Stephanie Brown (Spoiler), Tim Drake (Red Robin), Cassandra Cain (who goes by Orphan and only says a few words), and the real wild card, Basil Karlo (Clayface).

Last page is a tease to whoevers doing the spying, who has a very large, well-armed, Bat-themed militia. Seems very Arkham Knight to me. Or possibly Brother Eye.

Again, if Rebirth follows these pitches through, consider me a full-fledged DC fanboy again.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-09, 11:19 AM
Well the main title was... So okay it was average. I enjoyed it.
Green Lantern was boring. Looking forward to WW and Supergirl.

Not really interested in any other titles.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-09, 11:59 PM
Wonderwoman Rebirth #01

Nothing special here. At all.
But it's WW, so I'll stick with it for now.

I guess I am just jaded, but the story contained ZERO surprises (admittedly, just like the Green Lantern one, it was basically just a prologue. Nothing really happening at all). It was just "Setup for Dramatic Reveal In Comics 101". It played out, "thinking squares" included, EXACTLY like at least five other WW books (and about 30 others) I have read. Same pacing, same brooding monologue, same "Big Change is coming that will genuinely surprise you, if you have never read a comic before in your life coming up, isn't this dramatic??" thing.

Anteros
2016-06-10, 04:10 AM
It's really just Supes, Flash, and Bats that have interesting plots going on in my opinion, and you happen to not be interested in those particular runs.

themaque
2016-06-10, 05:10 AM
Seriously, any word on the Blue Beetle situation? Does Ted Kord exist again? Is Jaime still a jerk or is he likable again? Undoing all the Animal-Man/Swamp-Thing shenanigans or keeping that? Because I liked those.

Can you also do my homework for me as long as I'm obviously asking you to do my reading for me.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-10, 05:24 AM
Well I hope Supergirl and Wonder Woman are worth collecting again.

DiscipleofBob
2016-06-10, 07:23 AM
Seriously, any word on the Blue Beetle situation? Does Ted Kord exist again? Is Jaime still a jerk or is he likable again? Undoing all the Animal-Man/Swamp-Thing shenanigans or keeping that? Because I liked those.

Can you also do my homework for me as long as I'm obviously asking you to do my reading for me.

Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes both appear in Rebirth. Jaime has the scarab, Ted has the beetle cruiser thing, it's impossible to tell from one scene whether Jaime is a jerk or not, Dr. Fate's involved with that somehow, and Swamp Thing is asking John Constantine for help on saving his girlfriend.

Also x=4, Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, and the green light in Great Gatsby represents the American Dream.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-25, 04:52 PM
Okay, I'm officially confused. Why are the two first issues of Green Lanterns Rebirth both numbered issue 1?

Ranxerox
2016-06-25, 05:59 PM
Assuming it is like Wonder Woman (I don't read GL), one is Green Lantern Rebirth and the other is just Green Lantern with the banner tag DC Universe Rebirth. The DC Universe Rebirth isn't part of the title. It is just there to let people know that the issue is part of the event crossover. It is Green Lantern, not Green Lantern Rebirth, that will be an ongoing title.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-26, 01:38 AM
Assuming it is like Wonder Woman (I don't read GL), one is Green Lantern Rebirth and the other is just Green Lantern with the banner tag DC Universe Rebirth. The DC Universe Rebirth isn't part of the title. It is just there to let people know that the issue is part of the event crossover. It is Green Lantern, not Green Lantern Rebirth, that will be an ongoing title.

Probably makes sense, yes.
The title however is exactly the same:

Green Lanterns Rebirth.
And the story of course continues from one to the other. Seems to be a really dumb choice.