PDA

View Full Version : Legerdemain?

Yechezkiel
2007-06-27, 02:54 AM
Spells like Produce Flame, Flame Blade and all the "sword-like beam" spells, put a spell's effect in your hand.

Do multiple castings of these type of spells simply refresh the duration, or could you chose to affect your offhand?

From what I can find on it, I'm guessing it's up to DM interpretation, but I'm fairly sure the ones I mentioned are not actually touch spells like the Inflicts which follow this rule:

"Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates."

Can anyone cite any official answers? If not, what's your take?

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-27, 03:22 AM
Spell flower* is a first-level sorcerer/wizard/cleric spell that allows you to hold one charge in each of your forelimbs. It can be inferred, then, that this is not possible normally.

* Savage Species p. 70, reprinted in Spell Compendium p. 198

Callix
2007-06-27, 04:41 AM
Yes, but these are not touch spells. They are Personal buffs that produce effects in the caster's hands. While you could not normally hold two Shocking Grasps, Flame Blade is not a touch spell. As such, I see no problem with a second casting either replacing the original (increasing duration) or creating a second effect in the off-hand, which could be useful for a TWF gish, but not much else.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-27, 12:47 PM
As such, I see no problem with a second casting either replacing the original (increasing duration) or creating a second effect in the off-hand, which could be useful for a TWF gish, but not much else.

This is what I'm trying to narrow down, which of these two it actually is, either by RAW or common interpretation. Callix, your opinion is either answer, caster's choice?

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 12:54 PM
Do multiple castings of these type of spells simply refresh the duration, or could you chose to affect your offhand?You can choose to affect your offhand.

Neither Flame Blade nor Produce Flame are targetted spells that affect you, they produce effects (they have Effect lines in their spell block). As such, unless you're creating the same effect in the same hand, the restriction on spells stacking with themselves doesn't apply.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-27, 12:59 PM
Like putting up two prismatic walls then?

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 01:01 PM
Like putting up two prismatic walls then?Precisely.