PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wearable Constucts

Foxman778
2016-05-25, 08:51 PM
So I just discovered that Pathfinder has rules for modifying constructs.

Rules Here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs)

So my interest is specifically in the "Construct Armor" modification.
I'm wondering what the is the best way to make use of this is? What's the earliest you could reasonably do this?

stack
2016-05-25, 08:58 PM
Biggest problem is cost. Building and repairing constructs is hard on the budget.

Foxman778
2016-05-25, 09:01 PM
I'm asking from a DM standpoint. My players are fairly savvy, so I like to throw them off their game every now and them. This seems like a decent way to do that.

Necroticplague
2016-05-25, 09:12 PM
Seems like it has some good synergy with Bioconstruct Modification (Heart), to allow you to heal it up between combats. This grows in usefulness as your size does, since bigger constructs are tougher. Using a golem would be ideal, since they retain their magic immunity while armor (says they can't take independent action. Passive abilities are still good). While expensive, an adamantine golem would make incredible armor, due to it's ability to self-repair, even after destruction.

Endless Query
2016-05-25, 09:26 PM
I was going to say, the most effective use of those rules is to make your GM cry when they have to figure out what exactly the hell you're doing.

The most obvious thing, of course, is the fact that the Construct takes damage first, meaning that, if nothing else, you can have a wizard or other caster adversary with an ungodly pool of, functionally, "temp HP" that the party can't just try to run around or in some other way neutralize the same way they could a separate construct. Granted, have to navigate the spell failure chance, but still.

Also, arguably, if the construct is spell immune to some degree or another, a lot of stuff won't be able to be used to get through it, because... Welll you aren't taking the HP off of that construct with effects it's immune to, eh? But yeah, that's the obvious stuff, sure you figured that out already >_>

DrMotives
2016-05-25, 09:35 PM
Throw them off their game? Ok, how about the construct armor is Awakened and has levels in Thrallherd. This is much like the classic "who is really the familiar" ploy, only with an apparent BBEG wearing expensive armor that only much later do the PCs realize is the real BBEG.

Andreaz
2016-05-26, 07:45 AM
It's sure expensive, but look at what would be an awesome menu B or C feature for astral constructs!

Darkweave31
2016-05-26, 08:28 AM
Dragon wearing construct armor. That way the creator that wears it isn't made of squishy mage parts. Magus might work too and remove spell failure from the equation. Self augmenting alchemist in power armor might be cool too. I'm not a huge fan of the construct armor modification because it's poorly worded and the staff rules clarification makes it really lame (essentially an expensive pool of temporary hp; you don't control the construct's actions, get its attacks, and any attack it's immune to goes straight to you).

Though if you really want to go full medieval fantasy magitech mecha, I'd recommend having the "pilot" ride a shield guardian template cannon golem. That way it's not limited to the creator, so the non combat trained mage can have their strong blackguard with mounted combat feats ride it instead, and the golem can continue to fight as well with its own pool of actions. Given the bioconstruct brain modification and the vital strike line of feats you'll have your players running for cover. Have the mage cast simulacrum to make expendable copies of the original construct and you'll have a small army of powerful mechs to supplement your regulars. Make the prototype have double HD (special rules for advancing golem HD) so you don't have to figure stats for the half HD version. If you really want to say rocks fall to your players, do this instead with war machine great wyrm dragons who will not only have terrifying speed and natural attacks but, courtesy of the template, maintain their spellcasting abilities.