PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oversized Weapon Tiefling

SlaadLord
2016-05-25, 09:27 PM
I was browsing through the 100 alternate racial abilities tieflings can have, and a random thought occurred to me. If a tiefling gets "You have over-sized limbs, allowing you to use Large weapons without penalty." instead of Darkness, and then they take a class that grants an unarmed damage progression, do they deal damage as though they were Large, by RAW? The argument being that because they can wield Large weapons, they can wield their unarmed strikes as though they were Large weapons...what do you all think?

LoyalPaladin
2016-05-26, 02:50 PM
Probably not by RAW. But as a DM, I'd let it slide.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-26, 03:11 PM
Probably not by RAW. But as a DM, I'd let it slide.

Ditto. I don't think the intention was to let it work for monks, because you don't typically wield your own hands.

And flavor wise, I think an Onispawn hulking monk seems pretty fitting. Maybe a brawler would be better, but close enough.

LTwerewolf
2016-05-26, 03:13 PM
Unarmed strikes aren't just punches.

Gallowglass
2016-05-26, 04:02 PM
Rip out your own arms.

Cast regeneration

Wield your ripped out arms as large weapons.

done.

edit: now with "quick pen sketch at work" action:

http://i.imgbox.com/nRKV6cye.png

upho
2016-05-27, 06:28 AM
Gallowglass has the right idea, I think (love the sketch, btw)... Hmmm.... Oversized arms, as wielded weapons, probably have reach as well. So if you enlarge yourself, you should end up with a natural reach of 10' and a total reach of 25', which is pretty OK. :smalltongue:

More seriously, I'd personally rule this increases the size of all your UAS (except maybe those that specifically don't use your hands) and any natural attacks using your hands/arms (ie claws or slam).

Spore
2016-05-27, 07:01 AM
Personally I'd allow it as a DM - with the caveat that you DON'T GET REACH.

upho
2016-05-27, 09:14 AM
Personally I'd allow it as a DM - with the caveat that you DON'T GET REACH.:smallconfused: I don't get it. Why would anyone think oversized UAS should affect reach? I mean, the game term "reach" refers to either a manufactured weapon ability or the maximum distance an attacker can be from its target in order to make a melee attack (ie all melee attacks of all creatures have "reach", usually varying from 0 to 60 feet). And if you by "reach" actually mean "a 5 foot natural reach increase" (the increase gained when a creature increases one size category), I fail to see why anyone would believe the tiefling's natural reach should suddenly increase when it drops its weapon.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-27, 11:45 AM
http://i.imgbox.com/nRKV6cye.png

This is a masterpiece of the tiefling race. Now I just need a way to somehow logically include this into a game...

NightbringerGGZ
2016-05-27, 11:57 AM
This is a masterpiece of the tiefling race. Now I just need a way to somehow logically include this into a game...

Can you... rip your arms off again. Use some magic to lock the 2nd gen arms in place and regrow your arms and you're now wielding arms that are wielding arms?

Gallowglass
2016-05-27, 12:58 PM
Can you... rip your arms off again. Use some magic to lock the 2nd gen arms in place and regrow your arms and you're now wielding arms that are wielding arms?

You don't need magic. Just manacle the sets of arms together for Arm-chuks.

I'm not drawing that.

...probably...

Gallowglass
2016-05-27, 01:55 PM
YAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

http://s33.postimg.org/iaefca62n/armchuks.png

upho
2016-05-27, 03:23 PM
And Gallowglass scores AGAIN!

WARNING: Severe pun OCD attack coming up!

The concept seems awesome. On the one hand, I don't think you can wield both hands in one hand. I mean, this weapon doesn't just make you very well armed, it also has to be the hands-down most two-handed weapon you can get your hands on. It's also most definitely a double weapon.

But on the other hand, it could be handy to have an extra pair of hands at hand anyways, or at least within arms reach in your handy haversack. This would for example enable you to immediately replace one hand which has been sundered or has become to smelly and mushy, and even if you don't have IUS, no-one in their right mind would argue that you're unarmed. Not to mention a few extra hands could surely make you really popular with your friends, allowing you to lend a hand to more of them and to be the party handy-man as well as its man-at-arms. If you also get one or two extra feat(s), your friends could also hand over any handwork they'd need to get done, knowing you'd be able to handle it.

As for other mechanics, this should probably belong to the flail fighter weapon group. Perhaps a bit counter-intuitively, at least for PF players, I think it's very essence would disqualify it from the unarmed group (though you yourself could certainly qualify until you've regenerated your arms). I guess an argument could also be made for the close group, as I have a really hard time seeing any other weapon besides UAS or natural attacks being as close to you. And it should of course give a bonus to Handle Animal and Sleight of Hand.

Proficiency-wise, I'd say it should be treated as a simple weapon for you, but as an exotic weapon in the hands of anybody else.

NightbringerGGZ
2016-05-27, 04:35 PM
YAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

http://s33.postimg.org/iaefca62n/armchuks.png

You are the best. +1 Cookie