PDA

View Full Version : good member in evil party

SangoProduction
2016-05-25, 10:14 PM
OK. I've made the argument that smart evil characters can generally have no problem working with a good party...but I am having a hard time thinking that a good character could work in a party of evil.

I mean, in a party of neutrals with evil leaning, perhaps he'd work as a moral anchor, but...well...when they are actually evil, they are going to be doing things that simply can't be put up with, even if a common goal would unite them.

[And no, this is not a situation that's actually going on, just something I thought of.] Can someone give a way for this theoretical good character to work with this party? I think they'd just go their separate ways, or come to conflict in the worst case.

Arbane
2016-05-25, 11:01 PM
Comic relief/party mascot?

Beloved relative of one of the villains?

Stuck with them due to a curse/prophecy?

Villain wants something from them that they can't extract with an ave?

Their Evil Overlord said so?

Necromancy
2016-05-25, 11:30 PM
Reverse Belkar? Ez

LTwerewolf
2016-05-25, 11:30 PM
You're mistaking good for "needs to push his views onto others." That's not really the case. The alignment of the others depends entirely on how stupid they are about it. Are they pants on head ridiculous where they run around kicking puppies for no reason other than "lol I'm chaotic evilz!" Then no, he has no place there. Are they all working towards a common goal regardless of alignment? absolutely.

Scenario: Paladin, Red Wizard, Thayan knight, and cleric of Pelor travel together to rid the land of a black dragon that's recently moved into the area. Common goal and a greater enemy dictates they put aside their differences in order to accomplish the task, if they truly have anything between them that actually conflicts at all which they may not. The paladin wants to protect the weak and vanquish this great evil. The cleric wants to prevent further atrocity to the nearby innocents. The thayan knight is following orders. The red wizard is there both to remove a potential threat and to gain more power, and to bring back either a thing or knowledge that gives him an advantage over his peers. I don't see the conflict.

Even in a longer running campaign, evil can work with good as well as good can work with evil. It's all about making the goals align. Not all evil is ridiculous mustache twirling stupidity.

Efrate
2016-05-26, 12:43 AM
Depends on the party. Chaotic Stupid Evil? Not happening.

With a bunch of LE people dedicated to a cause? Possibly.
Scenario: Great kingdom army wants to overthrow a neighboring nation and take its resources. The people of the enemy nation are little more than(or actually are)slaves, and your army knows you can free them,have them help topple the government as (expendable) troops, then thank you as they do you bidding. A CG character could be on board with this.

A bunch of NE conspirators? Maybe
Who says the good guy knows? Maybe the secret society that wants to start a revolution "for the people" to all appearances does just that, but its a all a front to seize power by any means necessary and eliminate the current leadership and supplant it. Or maybe its just key assassinations in the chaos. A group of reasonably intelligent evil PCs could easily dupe good PCs.

A CE gang? Maybe
A gang of half orcs have been killing and extorting shop keepers in a small town. They are brutal and mean. A rival gang wants that action. They form a series of surgical strikes to rip apart the half orc gang brutally. Seeing as how all the infrastructure is corrupt, only one way to deal with them. Prove they are stronger, kill the opposition, and take over. Maybe there is some flicker of goodness in the youths and someone wants to save them, but agrees the half orcs need to be dealt with.

Cthulhu is going to wake up in a month unless the super powerful mcguffin is recharged and reset to keep him asleep for another hundred years. No one wants that barring some insane cultists, so the most powerful representatives from a hasty alliance of nations all gather to work together to stop that.

Common goals, redemption, and duplicity all work to "unite" disparate alignments.