PDA

View Full Version : Giving a dragon spells.

Traab
2016-05-25, 10:14 PM
Ok, here is the thing. I was just reading this story about a guy who could choose any powerup he wanted (with some restrictions) and he chose to become a young adult silver dragon with cleric abilities. That made me wonder how that works in D&D. What level of spells would a young adult dragon be able to call upon? Is there a set limit? Or is it something totally adjustable depending on how strong you want to make him? I have been looking at the srd under silver dragons and while it breaks down the various stats and such for each age range, all it says is they can have cleric abilities, not what those abilities might be.

Draconium
2016-05-25, 10:23 PM
Ok, here is the thing. I was just reading this story about a guy who could choose any powerup he wanted (with some restrictions) and he chose to become a young adult silver dragon with cleric abilities. That made me wonder how that works in D&D. What level of spells would a young adult dragon be able to call upon? Is there a set limit? Or is it something totally adjustable depending on how strong you want to make him? I have been looking at the srd under silver dragons and while it breaks down the various stats and such for each age range, all it says is they can have cleric abilities, not what those abilities might be.

In 3.5, each of the Metallic and Chromatic Dragons have innate Sorcerer spellcasting, varying in level and species. A Young Adult Silver casts as a 5th-level Sorcerer, meaning they have the spells per day and spells known as if they were a 5th-level Sorcerer, and they cast of Charisma. However, along with being able to select normal Sorcerer/Wizard spells among their spells known, they (along with other Metallic Dragons, along with Reds and Blues) may also choose spells from the Cleric spell list and spells from a set list of Cleric domains (in this case Air, Good, Law, and Sun) as known spells, which they cast as arcane spells.

Traab
2016-05-25, 10:39 PM
In 3.5, each of the Metallic and Chromatic Dragons have innate Sorcerer spellcasting, varying in level and species. A Young Adult Silver casts as a 5th-level Sorcerer, meaning they have the spells per day and spells known as if they were a 5th-level Sorcerer, and they cast of Charisma. However, along with being able to select normal Sorcerer/Wizard spells among their spells known, they (along with other Metallic Dragons, along with Reds and Blues) may also choose spells from the Cleric spell list and spells from a set list of Cleric domains (in this case Air, Good, Law, and Sun) as known spells, which they cast as arcane spells.

But they would be 5th level cleric spell lists right? Thanks for letting me know, I was honestly curious as to just how powerful this guy was likely to be. You know, aside from being a freaking DRAGON.

Draconium
2016-05-25, 10:59 PM
But they would be 5th level cleric spell lists right? Thanks for letting me know, I was honestly curious as to just how powerful this guy was likely to be. You know, aside from being a freaking DRAGON.

Well, no. They only cast as a 5th level Sorcerer, which means they only have access to 2nd-level spells, regardless of what lists they pull from. They just have multiple lists they can choose from, rather than just one.

And no problem. :smallsmile:

Traab
2016-05-25, 11:22 PM
Well, no. They only cast as a 5th level Sorcerer, which means they only have access to 2nd-level spells, regardless of what lists they pull from. They just have multiple lists they can choose from, rather than just one.

And no problem. :smallsmile:

Ah well thats a kick in the power levels. :p Here I thought you meant they got to use 5th level spells. Still handy im sure. Hmm, looking at the spell list, I would have to say its actually a pretty darn good setup considering it was a buffy the vampire slayer fic.