PDA

View Full Version : Belkar and Haley [spoilers]

Adrius
2007-06-27, 04:08 AM
Anyone else think its cute that they are off on a secret mission together? (supposed to be secret anyways?)

I am in no way implying a relationship (lol Haley+Elan) or even a friendship, but does anyone else get a kick out of this? Seeing them off adventuring together? :p

Dunamin
2007-06-27, 04:27 AM
It's novel to be sure.

I am in no way implying a relationship (lol Haley+Elan) or even a friendship, but does anyone else get a kick out of this?
Being evil does not preclude friendships, as Redcloak and Xykon have demonstrated. The Order of the Stick, Haley included, is probably the closest Belkar has to friends, even though he'd be hardpressed to admit it.

Demented
2007-06-27, 04:41 AM
And the others would absolutely refuse to tolerate the idea.
Belkar's not a friend... He's a reusable shaped charge explosive with a funky detonator.

pjackson
2007-06-27, 04:46 AM
Elan would certainly call him a friend, and Belkar has said he likes Elan.

Dunamin
2007-06-27, 04:50 AM
In addition, Roy - despite having the diametrically opposed alignment - stood up for Belkar back in comic 285. Haley should at least theoretically get better along with him, having at one aspect of alignment in common.

Adrius
2007-06-27, 06:13 AM
That really wasn't the point, I simply meant I don't want to judge whether or not they are friends, I was only commenting on how cute I thought they were out on their stealth mission interacting, they rarely interact much so directly.

Castamir
2007-06-27, 07:03 AM
:belkar: Look, I'm not saying I don't LIKE scouting ahead. But c'mon, one check for hiding, one for moving silently, another for seeing things and a fourth to listen? That's a lot of die rolling just to walk down a hallway!

Right... if someone gets sent to scout, it's usually Belkar and Haley, as they're the only two with decent stealth. And Belkar can one-man not only goblin ninjas, but even certain CR 14 monsters. :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2007-06-27, 07:21 AM
When V propounded his theory about Belkar having a simple proto-brain, Haley was included on the list with a tick in the "Lust" column... :smallsmile:

squidthingy
2007-06-27, 07:56 AM
When V propounded his theory about Belkar having a simple proto-brain, Haley was included on the list with a tick in the "Lust" column... :smallsmile:

That could be because Belkar doesn't hate haley so the only other place for her to go would be under lust

Raziel3024
2007-06-27, 08:00 AM

Soon she won't be able to resist his sheer animal magnetism:biggrin:

Dalenthas
2007-06-27, 08:30 AM
Why is this thread marked spoilers?
And yes, Haley and Belkar always cause hilarity whenever they're together, starting all the way back in strip #3.

Chronos
2007-06-27, 10:52 AM
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Belkar lusts after Haley. Most of the adult heterosexual male characters in the comic seem to lust after her. Belkar was certainly one of the ones ogling her while she was finding traps (along with every other unambiguously male member of the Order), and he's also the one who wanted to talk her into Elan's naked=invisible theory.

Spiryt
2007-06-27, 11:22 AM
Haley and Belkar, sittin' in a tree-"

I'm da Rogue!
2007-06-27, 12:55 PM
I just luv the image of my two favorite characters goin to a mission together! And I'd like to see Roy alive again so he can see who really saved him... NO, not his reliable V and Durkon, noooo...
It was two of the unreliable! Chaotic ppl savin lawful Roy! yayyyyy!

Oberon
2007-06-27, 01:14 PM
This isn't the first time they've been on a mission by themselves... although I think Haley would learn as Belkar blew their cover that time as well, and in a way involving fire too http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0157.html

I guess V was there too, but (s)he didn't do much.

evileeyore
2007-06-27, 04:19 PM
This isn't the first time they've been on a mission by themselves... although I think Haley would learn as Belkar blew their cover that time as well, and in a way involving fire too http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0157.html

I guess V was there too, but (s)he didn't do much.A) I that is what could be called a running joke...

B) It is entirely possible Vaarsuvius is around this time too.

Dunamin
2007-06-27, 04:44 PM
So, we have multiple parallels between this scenario and the bandit camp infiltration (comic 157 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0157.html)):

V being invisible.
Haley and Belkar sneaking around on a "rescue mission".
Belkar screwing it up.
Running away from their enemies.

Perhaps the next thing in line for parallels would be for the fireball to have started a fire, and the smoke will reveal V's location?

Lissou
2007-07-12, 05:05 AM
I don't think it's meant to be a reference to that other time (although it might be. Rich seems to plan stuff so much ahead, it's not excluded).
I think it's just that Belkar being sneaky isn't very in character. I mean, he's more for a frontal approch, and being discreet is not his thing.
I do like seiing them together, mostly because they're both cahotic and without someone lawful to preach to them, they can get into pretty much anything ^^.

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-12, 11:45 AM
I think ELan/V or Elan/Roy makes a better comedy pair.
Elan/Thog was awesome

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-12, 12:01 PM
I think we are all missing the point. Here is the question at hand. Who's gonna break the "Not a booty" talisman?

Nathander
2007-07-12, 12:20 PM

You know, the thing is that V's theory about Belkar is just that: a theory based around V's own idea of who/what Belkar is. Now, I'm not going to go on and say that Belkar is intelligent (he really isn't) or anything other than evil (he's bad to the bone), but at the same time I think V is one of the worst people to really ask for an opinion on Belkar. This is due to the fact that, in the order, V and Belkar's relationship seems to be the most hostile one (I'd say it's far more hostile than Belkar and Roy's, since despite Roy's obvious dislike of Belkar and the actions he commonly takes, they're able to have genuine conversations, or at least as much as Belkar is able to have a conversation, while the conversations between V and Belkar have almost always been completely hostile). Really, I don't think V can be trusted as exactly having a fair stance on Belkar, since 1) V will always go out of his/her way to insult/belittle Belkar if given the chance at an appropriate time and 2) there have been two examples that've defied the hatred/lust theory: Elan and Shojo, both of which Belkar has openly stated to liking due to the fact that he's entertained by them. Thus, there should be at least three sections: hatred, lust, and entertainment.

Otherwise, I think that Haley and Belkar's current mission is shaping up to be one of the funnier moments in the recent comics. I have to admit: I really never liked Belkar up until late in the AC storyarc, so I will finally (almost grudgingly admit) that I'm able to find him funny now, which helps me enjoy the story.

Heh....I can't wait for the inevitable interactions between Belkar and the MiTD.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-13, 12:34 AM
You know, the thing is that V's theory about Belkar is just that: a theory based around V's own idea of who/what Belkar is. Now, I'm not going to go on and say that Belkar is intelligent (he really isn't) or anything other than evil (he's bad to the bone), but at the same time I think V is one of the worst people to really ask for an opinion on Belkar. This is due to the fact that, in the order, V and Belkar's relationship seems to be the most hostile one (I'd say it's far more hostile than Belkar and Roy's, since despite Roy's obvious dislike of Belkar and the actions he commonly takes, they're able to have genuine conversations, or at least as much as Belkar is able to have a conversation, while the conversations between V and Belkar have almost always been completely hostile). Really, I don't think V can be trusted as exactly having a fair stance on Belkar, since 1) V will always go out of his/her way to insult/belittle Belkar if given the chance at an appropriate time and 2) there have been two examples that've defied the hatred/lust theory: Elan and Shojo, both of which Belkar has openly stated to liking due to the fact that he's entertained by them. Thus, there should be at least three sections: hatred, lust, and entertainment.

Otherwise, I think that Haley and Belkar's current mission is shaping up to be one of the funnier moments in the recent comics. I have to admit: I really never liked Belkar up until late in the AC storyarc, so I will finally (almost grudgingly admit) that I'm able to find him funny now, which helps me enjoy the story.

Heh....I can't wait for the inevitable interactions between Belkar and the MiTD.

I found your argument far too brief for my taste.:smallsigh:

Just kidding: and I agree with you 100%, except that I've always liked Belkar.

Ithekro
2007-07-13, 01:38 AM
Haley seems to have cheese on the brain.
In a place usually reserved for chocolate. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html) It seems to be coming to the surface recently.

David Argall
2007-07-13, 12:32 PM
I believe the cheese mentioned in that comic was game cheese rather than eating cheese.

atteSmythe
2007-07-13, 12:39 PM
I am in no way implying a relationship

Threequarterlings?

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-13, 03:11 PM
I believe the cheese mentioned in that comic was game cheese rather than eating cheese.

Really? I always percieved that as the eating sort of cheese. But yours makes just as much sense.