PDA

View Full Version : Setting and/or adventure suggestions for a long term gameplay

malkuth
2016-05-26, 02:07 AM
Hi,

We re playing rpg games occasionaly for about 16 years with same friend group. We've played many settings including custom ones. The problem is that none of our games has lasted for more than 5 sessions. There is always something missing that we get bored and look for sth else.

The last setting we have played was cthulhu in 18th century europe. The story and mood was great but lack of action and not to be able to kill things made the players get bored.

Now I am thinking of writing a supernatural in dark ages themed game with a similar concept but with more action. Still I am not sure and I please your suggestions. Is there a campaign setting where my players can feel they fight and kill some human being, have some minor powers and the game still feels dark and realistic? Also I will love to hear your adventure suggestions too. All I want is to begin a journey that can last for some years.

I ve only played planescape on computer. I am thinking about it too but I feel like It may be as I want it to be. Ideas?

Best regards,

Thrudd
2016-05-26, 04:32 PM
Something that will help a campaign have a long life is a setting that always gives the players something they can pursue both short term and long term. There should always be something they can and want to work towards, at their own initiative. Short term goals can be completed in a single session or adventure, and those gains should help to bring them incrementally closer to a larger goal.

An example of this is having the long term goal of building your own castle or manor in an unclaimed territory. To do that, you need to gather a lot of money to pay for all the material and workmen needed. The setting should have lots of adventurous ways to get money and gather the allies you need, such as raiding dungeons for lost treasure or working as a mercenary. You also want to be strong enough to control your land once you claim it, so you might look for magic weapons and spells (and gain levels). Even after the castle is built and you are lord of your domain, there will be more things you need to do, like defend your territory if monsters appear, make alliances with other lords to keep from getting invaded, or even try to conquer more land. As long as there is always another thing the players want to get, and varied interesting ways to work toward it, the game could go on for a long time.

AMFV
2016-05-26, 10:38 PM
Perhaps your problem is that the settings are too rigid and too complex. You said that your players feel restrained. I would try creating a few hooks and then developing the setting as they go. Basically you'll wind up with a fantasy kitchen sink setting that you can tell many stories with. Maybe set up an overarching plot with a few hooks, that they can get too different ways.

So that way, your players want to do supernatural investigation, they can come on a ruined village where the ancient fish people are gradually taking over. Then that's part of the world from there on. They want action afterwards, they can get attacked by bandits after they explore the village. That way you can deal with the boredom by creating varied adventures in the same setting.

I would also make it so that there's one evil villain behind most things, so it all ties together somewhat, and the players are always working towards the same large scale objective.

That would be my suggestion, hope it helps!

malkuth
2016-05-27, 02:26 AM
Thank you both. Long term goals were poor in our games, I will fix that first. And also I have seen a setting "shadows of Esteron". It seems like it has everything we need. Anyone played it? Would u suggest? I will convert it to real to middle age britain probably.

Kol Korran
2016-05-27, 07:17 AM
Hi there. I think the problem may not be the genre, but rather play preferences, expectations and such. A few months ago I found some articles that helped me understand our group's play preferences far more, as well as diagnose and deal with a few in game group dynamics. I'd suggest going through these, with your group. Perhaps you guys are just trying to play games with very different play styles, or think you prefer one style, when you really prefer others. I'm adding two links, as basis, but I suggest to read more on the subject. My TTRPG group has been going for about 8 years or so, but these articles made a lot of sense for me, and helped us a LOT!

The 8 esthetics of play, by the Angry DM (http://angrydm.com/2014/01/gaming-for-fun-part-1-eight-kinds-of-fun/)

A short video on the subject, from Extra Credits. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepAJ-rqJKA)