PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me building a fighter for curse of strhad

Costantine10
2016-05-26, 07:49 AM
Hi, we are playing curse of strahd, yesterday we finished death house, i died with my fighter and turn to life completely mad. Now we are level 3. I'm the fighter i have 18 AC, but i go 0 hp 4 times in death house, i know i'm the frontliner but i can't hold all the dmgs. I can't decide between monster hunter or battlemaster archetype.
My character stat:
human fighter str 16 dex 10 con 14 int 8 wis 12 cha 14
folk hero. Feat: shield master, fighting style: protection.
I really need help making a great front-liner. ( in my group there are a paladin with 2 handed weapon, a barbarian with 2 handed weapon a fighter who combats with trident and net and a sorcerer). I think i did a great work because untill the last encounter my friends never suffer dmgs, but i can't reach 0 hp every times we combat because we use the Exhaustion rule.

Oramac
2016-05-26, 07:58 AM
in my group there are a paladin with 2 handed weapon, a barbarian with 2 handed weapon a fighter who combats with trident and net and a sorcerer

You have no heals (other than the Paladin who seems to focus on damage). That's the main drawback. Your build actually looks just fine to me.

If the Sorc has 13 Wis, maybe he could take a level or two of Cleric to round out the healing. Or convince the Paladin to burn slots on healing spells once in a while too.

EDIT: I personally like the Battlemaster, though I admit I haven't really looked at the Monster Hunter much.

Axorfett12
2016-05-26, 08:27 AM
I'll second the no healing part. I've not played curse of straad, so I don't know what this death house is like, but short rests are your friend. Spend hit dice. Pick whichever Archetype you feel fits your character best. Battlemaster will give you lots of options to choose from, while monster hunter is very good at its job. Personally, I think both are good, but I would edge towards the monster hunter for the ability to add superiority dice to saving throws.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-26, 08:30 AM
First of all its a party of frontliners you shouldn't be taking all the damage. This campaign is going to be tough for your party if your DM don't allow your group to get magic weapons. I play a paladin in my group and I'm the only frontliner I switch out one of my spells for magic weapon just so I can do damage to thing. Other then that who needs a healer with ya'll hit dice and the palay you ate fine. But I would go Eldridge Knight if I was you you can pick up shield spell and for cantrips pick greenflame blade and chill touch. But the main reason is when you bound a weapon it magical.sorry my Dm is running this module with no access to magic weapons except for what's already in the book shoot we don't even get a lot of money and getting full plate armor is even a hard thing to do

Specter
2016-05-26, 08:54 AM
If your stats aren't fixed, drop that CHA to 12 maximum and invest in something else; there's already a pally snd a sorcerer in the group.

Since your group needs healing, the Banneret from SCAG looks like a good option. You get Mass Healing Word at level 3 (yeah, that's what it is).

Costantine10
2016-05-26, 10:29 AM
If your stats aren't fixed, drop that CHA to 12 maximum and invest in something else; there's already a pally snd a sorcerer in the group.

Since your group needs healing, the Banneret from SCAG looks like a good option. You get Mass Healing Word at level 3 (yeah, that's what it is).

they are fixed, i don't know what my friends are building, we make sheets at home secretly. Banneret sucks a little bit

but short rests are your friend. Spend hit dice.
we make 4 short rests, but at level 1 and 2 you have only 2 hit dice to spend, and you can't heal exhaustation with short rest.

Axorfett12
2016-05-26, 10:59 AM
That is problematic... The low levels are rough. My advice would then be to ask your friendly neighborhood paladin to supply spells instead of smites. With three front liners in the party, you should have no problem with damage. His divine talents are better suited at this level to protection, enhancement, and healing. Heroism is by far the best option for your specific problem, but bless, shield of faith, and cure wounds are also handy.

Costantine10
2016-05-26, 11:05 AM
That is problematic... The low levels are rough. My advice would then be to ask your friendly neighborhood paladin to supply spells instead of smites. With three front liners in the party, you should have no problem with damage. His divine talents are better suited at this level to protection, enhancement, and healing. Heroism is by far the best option for your specific problem, but bless, shield of faith, and cure wounds are also handy.

i'm thinking to go eldritch knight even if i have 8 int, shield and other difensive spells don't really need int.

Axorfett12
2016-05-26, 11:14 AM
A rather interesting idea. Perhaps have him constantly mutter arcane phrases under his breath so he doesn't forget them. Azarath Metrion Zinthos or similar. Play up the low intelligence "wizard". As far as protection goes you really can't get much better than shield. Might I also recommend Absorb Elements? A good counter for all those sources of damage that don't target your AC. And a damage boost later. Bonus!