PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Glory Domain [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 08:37 AM
I made a Glory Domain (http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/H1_Uju47) for the Cleric! So the goal of this was to make an effective Cleric-gish. The best way I could think to do so was to refluff Bladesong and go from there, so please PEACH away!! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: this was created with my DM, and was kind of his: "I wish they'd made the War Cleric this way."

Final Hyena
2016-05-26, 09:38 AM
Channel Divinity: Blade of Glory doesn't state that you need to use your channel divinity. Also it's called blade of glory yet affects everything except your blade/attacks. How about Grace of Glory?

Anyway the class is kind of weird. You wield a shield until you drop it to use your blade of glory. If you run out of channel you suddenly want to strap on medium armour.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-26, 09:43 AM
Anyway the class is kind of weird. You wield a shield until you drop it to use your blade of glory. If you run out of channel you suddenly want to strap on medium armour.

Cleric Domain: Indecision?

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 09:45 AM
Channel Divinity: Blade of Glory doesn't state that you need to use your channel divinity. Also it's called blade of glory yet affects everything except your blade/attacks. How about Grace of Glory?

Hmmm...good point. And I meant to specify that you expended your channel divinity. I really shouldn't write things at 5am after an allnighter. :smalltongue:

Well, not necessarily, they get Mage Armor as a domain spell, so they're not useless unarmored- they actually make a good DEX-based Cleric. Even if you only have a +2 DEX, you'll have a 15 AC, which is decent for a spellcaster.

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 09:46 AM
Cleric Domain: Indecision?

Lol, that's kinda funny :smallsmile:

Final Hyena
2016-05-26, 09:51 AM
Well, not necessarily, they get Mage Armor as a domain spell, so they're not useless unarmored- they actually make a good DEX-based Cleric. Even if you only have a +2 DEX, you'll have a 15 AC, which is decent for a spellcaster.
Starting medium armour with +2 dex is 16 and doesn't cost a spell.

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 09:56 AM
Starting medium armour with +2 dex is 16 and doesn't cost a spell.

Yes...but I feel that you're going to set yourself up to use your CD effectively, that's the cost of everything it gives you.

Final Hyena
2016-05-26, 10:21 AM
Yes...but I feel that you're going to set yourself up to use your CD effectively, that's the cost of everything it gives you.
And we cycle back to my point,

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 12:35 PM
And we cycle back to my point,

Aside from it being weird, is it balanced?

Final Hyena
2016-05-26, 12:48 PM
Aside from it being weird, is it balanced?
Not in the morning....
In and of itself it's fine. A 2 glory dip for monks would be very good, not sure if it's enough to merit you preventing it from stacking with unarmoured defence though.

DracoKnight
2016-05-26, 03:40 PM
Not in the morning....
In and of itself it's fine. A 2 glory dip for monks would be very good, not sure if it's enough to merit you preventing it from stacking with unarmoured defence though.

Hmmmmm...true...but IMO, Cleric/Monk was already fantastic.

Final Hyena
2016-05-26, 04:30 PM
Yes, but when you dip your Monk in Glory, it's fabulous!

DracoKnight
2016-05-27, 07:55 PM
Yes, but when you dip your Monk in Glory, it's fabulous!

No better than 2 Bladesinger for an Arcane Trickster, or going straight Bladesinger :smalltongue:

DracoKnight
2016-05-28, 05:03 AM
Okay, question: would a fighting style be a better 1st level feature?

Final Hyena
2016-05-28, 08:35 AM
For Greater Glory is kinda like inspiration dice which is different from the rest of the domain which revolves around you hitting/not being hit so a fighting style would make more sense.
The domain doesn't really support Defence or protection. Great weapon and Two-Weapon (except at 17th level) are also not very appealing which leaves duelling and archery.
Balance wise +2 attack/damage is fine, if you do go this route you might want to design some new styles.

DracoKnight
2016-05-28, 01:43 PM
For Greater Glory is kinda like inspiration dice which is different from the rest of the domain which revolves around you hitting/not being hit so a fighting style would make more sense.
The domain doesn't really support Defence or protection. Great weapon and Two-Weapon (except at 17th level) are also not very appealing which leaves duelling and archery.
Balance wise +2 attack/damage is fine, if you do go this route you might want to design some new styles.

Okay. Will work on this.

ravencroft0
2016-07-09, 07:25 PM
Hi! A few things I noticed about your 'brew:

"...the true champion of that god." Only one of these in existence per god?

For Greater Glory: ..."target one creature other than yourself..." I know clerics, or a least good or neutral clerics, maintain an air of selflessness, but those bonuses are pretty sweet. Self-target, as well, would be great.

Is Greater Glory available at 1st level? Your page doesn't specify.

Glory die usage: Also allow the target creature to use the Glory die as a bonus to AC in reaction to being hit with an attack. Extra defense, if only temporary, keeps the party going strong.

I'm on the fence with Blade of Glory. It seems very cool, but the whole demigod aspect of it seems... out of place? You're basically saying your cleric can rage a certain number of times per day, but only if you're not wearing any armor or a shield? Even barbarians can have shields when they rage. Like Hyena mentioned (I'm paraphrasing, mind you), it's great when the features cater to you, instead of you having to cater to the feature. Clerics have proficiency with at least light armor and a shield. Nothing wrong with a raging, Dex-based, sword-and-board.

With that being said, if you insist on no shields, you could place a restriction on Blade of Glory's usage saying you can only wield weapons that conform to the rule. Can't have shields and a 2d6 greatsword, too.

Great work as a whole though. I hope you don't mind if I add it to my game, because I have.