PDA

View Full Version : Rule/Wording Check - Spirit Guardians Spell

Endal
2016-05-26, 08:59 AM
Hey there Forum! So we have a cleric on our team who has the spell Spirit Guardians. We're arguing over a point that I wanted to try to get a more official ruling on.

The spell does 3d8 radiant/necro damage to any unprotected (by the caster's choice) target who enters the area for the first time on a turn or who starts their turn in the area. The question we have though, is what constitutes entering the area. If he approaches an enemy do they automatically take the 3d8 damage, or is it only when they approach?

We always try to look at unspecified wording/rules as a point of logic. It's the word "enters" that is screwing with us on this. I sort of see the spell wording being if I willingly choose to enter the area or if I cross the threshold of the area, not when the area is brought to me. Their thinking is that I have entered the zone that is moving with the cleric. It's concentration, so I can attack him while he's using it, but meanwhile I'm taking 6d8 damage(!) before I'm able to because he strolled into my proximity.

RulesJD
2016-05-26, 09:19 AM
Hey there Forum! So we have a cleric on our team who has the spell Spirit Guardians. We're arguing over a point that I wanted to try to get a more official ruling on.

The spell does 3d8 radiant/necro damage to any unprotected (by the caster's choice) target who enters the area for the first time on a turn or who starts their turn in the area. The question we have though, is what constitutes entering the area. If he approaches an enemy do they automatically take the 3d8 damage, or is it only when they approach?

We always try to look at unspecified wording/rules as a point of logic. It's the word "enters" that is screwing with us on this. I sort of see the spell wording being if I willingly choose to enter the area or if I cross the threshold of the area, not when the area is brought to me. Their thinking is that I have entered the zone that is moving with the cleric. It's concentration, so I can attack him while he's using it, but meanwhile I'm taking 6d8 damage(!) before I'm able to because he strolled into my proximity.

There's been a specific ruling on this:

If the caster moves the field, the enemies that are now within the field do not take damage until the start of their next turn (if they are still in the field).

Same for casting. No damage on casting.

HOWEVER, moving into the field does not have to be voluntary. For example, Grappling and dragging someone into the field does cause damage that round (first time on a turn) AND when the creature then starts its turn inside the field).

Endal
2016-05-26, 02:49 PM
This is how I had interpreted the spell as well. Thanks for the info and I'm glad I got some further support on my guy being way overpowered :smallbiggrin:

krugaan
2016-05-26, 02:53 PM
Is there some way to abuse this with lightning lash and the tempest clerics level 6 "lightning damage pushback" ability?

Or is it "the first time this turn"?

Endal
2016-05-26, 03:00 PM
Using a knockback into the field would fall into entering the zone, so yes. Having this zone and then throwing someone into it (be it with grappling or thunderwave or something) would trigger the damage. I was always perfectly fine with that option, and I'm going to use it to signal to the enemies taking the damage to go after the cleric who cast it.

The pushback would push it out of the zone, however, and it's a concentration spell, so casting another spell to throw them into it would disable the spell.

Theodoxus
2016-05-26, 03:01 PM
Yet another reason I'd rather cast Bless than SG. No damage on a casting? That's usually the only damage I get to do...

krugaan
2016-05-26, 03:08 PM
Using a knockback into the field would fall into entering the zone, so yes. Having this zone and then throwing someone into it (be it with grappling or thunderwave or something) would trigger the damage. I was always perfectly fine with that option, and I'm going to use it to signal to the enemies taking the damage to go after the cleric who cast it.

The pushback would push it out of the zone, however, and it's a concentration spell, so casting another spell to throw them into it would disable the spell.

No, only if the other spell was concentration as well.

I meant more along the lines of like lightning lure do drag someone into the field, then lightning damage to push them out and lure them back in again...

Not sure if the mechanics support that though. At least on the same turn.

RulesJD
2016-05-26, 03:17 PM
No, only if the other spell was concentration as well.

I meant more along the lines of like lightning lure do drag someone into the field, then lightning damage to push them out and lure them back in again...

Not sure if the mechanics support that though. At least on the same turn.

They don't.

It's once per turn. There are technically ways of abusing it, but it involves so much party cooperation that at that point it's really the suboptimal technique.

krugaan
2016-05-26, 03:20 PM
They don't.

It's once per turn. There are technically ways of abusing it, but it involves so much party cooperation that at that point it's really the suboptimal technique.

Yeah, I figured, im afb. Still, planning a tempest cleric tank with sentinel and lightning lash for fun Scorpion shenanigans.

"Ack, spirit guardians burn! FLEE!"

"GET OVER HERE!"

uraniumrooster
2016-05-26, 04:39 PM
I've seen a Nature Cleric get some good mileage out of Spirit Guardians and Thorn Whip. Pretty solid combo that can be accomplished solo, and only gets better if other party members have more forced movement options.

RickAllison
2016-05-26, 06:27 PM
I've seen a Nature Cleric get some good mileage out of Spirit Guardians and Thorn Whip. Pretty solid combo that can be accomplished solo, and only gets better if other party members have more forced movement options.

"Delta Strike, Go!!"
"Warlock: Repelling Blast!"
"Cleric: Thorn Whip!"
"Monk: Open Hand Flurry of Blows!"
"Sorcerer: Lightning Lure!"
"Fighter: Shove!"

MaxWilson
2016-05-26, 09:58 PM
"Delta Strike, Go!!"
"Warlock: Repelling Blast!"
"Cleric: Thorn Whip!"
"Monk: Open Hand Flurry of Blows!"
"Sorcerer: Lightning Lure!"
"Fighter: Shove!"

This made me laugh out loud.

RickAllison
2016-05-26, 10:07 PM
This made me laugh out loud.

I saw the group in their different-colored, dark-visored, full-body suits and it took me back to the days of my youth...

It was horrible :smallbiggrin: