PDA

View Full Version : The Fairly Oddparents

xyz
2016-05-26, 03:56 PM
If you do not enjoy this show you are a filthy peasant.

Dragonexx
2016-05-26, 06:43 PM
It still comes on? I remember watching that show when I was a kid.

brionl
2016-05-27, 09:58 AM
Yes, it still comes on. I think they must be getting a whole 2 or 3 new episodes per year.

t209
2016-05-28, 12:30 AM
And they decided to become mediocre, even added an annoying dog out of blue. Then shoving off interesting side characters, flanderization, and no wonder I prefer Nobita than Timmy Turner.
Wish they would have Grant Morrison-esque storyline, like using Crimson Chin as poking fun on Superhero comics. Multiversity, anyone?

Pendulous
2016-05-28, 12:38 AM
And they decided to become mediocre, even added an annoying dog out of blue. Then shoving off interesting side characters, flanderization, and no wonder I prefer Nobita than Timmy Turner.
Wish they would have Grant Morrison-esque storyline, like using Crimson Chin as poking fun on Superhero comics. Multiversity, anyone?

Eh, it's expected after so long a time for a show. Fairly Oddparents had its glory years. Just wait after the first episodes until Cosmo gets his goofy voice and antics. Those early episodes were just boring.

brionl
2016-05-30, 10:22 AM

But they didn't add the dog until after they had the baby. Now they've got the annoying cousin. I can't wait for them to add Ted McGinley to the cast, it's like they are running down the "Jump The Shark" checklist item by item. ;)

Aotrs Commander
2016-05-30, 04:42 PM
But they didn't add the dog until after they had the baby. Now they've got the annoying cousin. I can't wait for them to add Ted McGinley to the cast, it's like they are running down the "Jump The Shark" checklist item by item. ;)

Considering previous histroical president for this sort of thing, it may be them making the best of a mnadate from high and deliberately working down that list to do as best/worst as they can manage.

That said, I watched a few of the most recent episodes on teh interwebs (since UK children's TV is both behind and wildly erratic), the one where he has to share his fairies (and they actually changed the theme song for the first time ever) and I didn't think it was actually that bad, myself.

(And considering the otherwise low standard of cartoons around at the moment, now that Gravity Falls has finished and the dearth of decent "serious" cartoons, I'll take what I can get. Phineas and Ferb repeats can only be watched so often and Spongebob is only still okay because of the sheer volume and the trickle of new episodes...)

But I actually LIKE Teen Titans Go! as much as Teen Titans, so what do I know?

Metahuman1
2016-05-30, 07:16 PM
*Looks at that last part.* I'm possibly getting young justice season 3, and I just got DC rebirth. I'm in a good mood, so instead of arguing TTG,

Fairly Odd Parents: I think the Dog is were they jumped the shark myself. The show at this point would do well to just end by now, it's had a fantastic run, but nothing's forever.

Other good Cartoon's: Samurai Jack is returning, and we have Star vs. The Forces of Evil, Steven Universe (Which I've finally gotten to start watching and is actually very good and I'm impressed, and can get VERY dark and serious and VERY mature when it needs to be. But it's mastered an art so long lost that it was though a myth. The ability to change the tone and mood of things going on, and not ALWAYS be stuck in silly mode while also not being ALWAYS stuck in Serious dark grim brooding mature mode. ) And Star Wars Rebles.

I will grant all three shows take a few episodes to find there rhythm, but once they do, there amazing. And Samurai Jack new isn't out just yet but it IS coming and we are getting all but 1 of the original team back for it (and it will be on the adult swim block now so, they don't have to have the silliness of every enemy having to be shadows or robots because you can't cut them otherwise.), and that cast member is a VA who's not retiring due to sadly having passed away form Cancer about 10+ years ago.

And none of them are shaping up to be overly silly not serious cartoons. Like, at all.

Aotrs Commander
2016-05-30, 07:55 PM
Fairly Odd Parents: I think the Dog is were they jumped the shark myself. The show at this point would do well to just end by now, it's had a fantastic run, but nothing's forever.

Latest season seems to be lacking the dog as main character. One feels that sort of thing was definitely the sort of thing that would be foisted on them from some focus group and, perhaps like Pinkie, Elmyra and the Brain they did the best they could. But, due to UK TVs' random airing shedule, I haven't seen many of that season.

Other good Cartoon's: Samurai Jack is returning, and we have Star vs. The Forces of Evil, Steven Universe (Which I've finally gotten to start watching and is actually very good and I'm impressed, and can get VERY dark and serious and VERY mature when it needs to be. But it's mastered an art so long lost that it was though a myth. The ability to change the tone and mood of things going on, and not ALWAYS be stuck in silly mode while also not being ALWAYS stuck in Serious dark grim brooding mature mode. ) And Star Wars Rebles.

Star is quite good, but it is very heavily into the "largely comedic with serious moments" territory, Steven Universe, like you I've only just started watching and, owing to the former, very patchy in terms of seeing bits. I don't find it sunningly engaging, but the character work and, I feel, somewhat understated tone is worthy of a serious helmet tip and I can see why people like it.

(Also, further evidence that, in the majority, the people that make promos for UK children's TV should be shot, because they NEVER manage to make anything look other than bad.)

Rebels...

*sigh*

Rebels... I tolerate. Just barely. I don't particularly like it (but I don't hate it); partly because of the new continuity, which rubs me raw, partly because I am EXTREMELY narked they slapped more Jedi into it and partly because it just doesn't quite hold-up to Clone Wars (certainly in the final seasons). I weatched the Rebels Vader eisode, and then went an Internet Watched the final arc of Clone Wars and the difference was night and day.

Samurai Jack... This is going to be contraversial, but while I appreciated it on an artistic and technical expertise level... It never really grabbed me in terms of story or world. I'm glad that it may come back for the sake of it eventually having a conclusion (though the loss of Mako is a hard act to follow) - and if it is allowed to be more adult, then more power to it.

And none of them are shaping up to be overly silly not serious cartoons. Like, at all.

Clarification.

When I say "serious" cartoon, I really mean something like Justice League or 1990s X-Men or Young Justice or Centurions or Avatar or something. There are many, many, many tones of serious and comedy shading in animation especially. Part of it is how the animation plays to the world, how, if you will "real" it is. Gravity Falls is a different tone to Star or Fairly Odd Parents or Spongebob or MLP or Ninjago.

(Actually, Ninjago DOES deserves a special mention, on account of it being actually extremely well written and for continuously shaking up the status quo and swapping arpound the character focus and generally being as exceptional as most toy-related are not usually expected to be (except that I really should expect this now from LEGO.))

So what I mean by "serious" is "thing that treats the world seriously and consistently, without much (if any) cartoonishness in action, like a non-comedy live-action show would (e.g. B5, Stargate or something). That doesn't mean it is devoid of humour (see both B5 and Stargate), but that the humour is not based cartoon physics etc, if you catch my meaning.

Yes, Rebels does fall into that category, but as I said above, I'm not that impressed by Rebels. (Ninjago, actually, arguably comes pretty close, in a Reboot-y sort of way in that it is true to it's own world.)

But a lot of shows these days seem to tend towards the "humour/funny/silly with some serious bits" as opposed to the "serious with some funny bits."

(Completely devoid of humour is even less appealing to me, I should note, however. I was never that big of a fan of BtAS...)

Also. And this is an extremely important thing to note: "serious" does not mean "better" by ANY stretch of the imagination. I would just like to see a little more (but NOT too much!) drama in animation. Balance is key.

t209
2016-05-30, 08:23 PM
Yes, Rebels does fall into that category, but as I said above, I'm not that impressed by Rebels. (Ninjago, actually, arguably comes pretty close, in a Reboot-y sort of way in that it is true to it's own world.)

But a lot of shows these days seem to tend towards the "humour/funny/silly with some serious bits" as opposed to the "serious with some funny bits."
At least it wasn't Guardians of the Galaxy series, even Marvel still haven't get their face off the hole about having a decent writing.
Even it made Bendis' MCU-trash-comic-with-mostly-earthlings-team-with-my-waifu-as-new-starlord-so-that-she-can-marry-me/PeterQuill comic look readable. I mean they had good hook but nope, let's go with mediocre plot that is mostly fillers and only focus less than two characters.

Metahuman1
2016-05-31, 12:27 AM
Latest season seems to be lacking the dog as main character. One feels that sort of thing was definitely the sort of thing that would be foisted on them from some focus group and, perhaps like Pinkie, Elmyra and the Brain they did the best they could. But, due to UK TVs' random airing shedule, I haven't seen many of that season.

Star is quite good, but it is very heavily into the "largely comedic with serious moments" territory, Steven Universe, like you I've only just started watching and, owing to the former, very patchy in terms of seeing bits. I don't find it sunningly engaging, but the character work and, I feel, somewhat understated tone is worthy of a serious helmet tip and I can see why people like it.

(Also, further evidence that, in the majority, the people that make promos for UK children's TV should be shot, because they NEVER manage to make anything look other than bad.)

Rebels...

*sigh*

Rebels... I tolerate. Just barely. I don't particularly like it (but I don't hate it); partly because of the new continuity, which rubs me raw, partly because I am EXTREMELY narked they slapped more Jedi into it and partly because it just doesn't quite hold-up to Clone Wars (certainly in the final seasons). I weatched the Rebels Vader eisode, and then went an Internet Watched the final arc of Clone Wars and the difference was night and day.

Samurai Jack... This is going to be contraversial, but while I appreciated it on an artistic and technical expertise level... It never really grabbed me in terms of story or world. I'm glad that it may come back for the sake of it eventually having a conclusion (though the loss of Mako is a hard act to follow) - and if it is allowed to be more adult, then more power to it.

Clarification.

When I say "serious" cartoon, I really mean something like Justice League or 1990s X-Men or Young Justice or Centurions or Avatar or something. There are many, many, many tones of serious and comedy shading in animation especially. Part of it is how the animation plays to the world, how, if you will "real" it is. Gravity Falls is a different tone to Star or Fairly Odd Parents or Spongebob or MLP or Ninjago.

(Actually, Ninjago DOES deserves a special mention, on account of it being actually extremely well written and for continuously shaking up the status quo and swapping arpound the character focus and generally being as exceptional as most toy-related are not usually expected to be (except that I really should expect this now from LEGO.))

So what I mean by "serious" is "thing that treats the world seriously and consistently, without much (if any) cartoonishness in action, like a non-comedy live-action show would (e.g. B5, Stargate or something). That doesn't mean it is devoid of humour (see both B5 and Stargate), but that the humour is not based cartoon physics etc, if you catch my meaning.

(Completely devoid of humour is even less appealing to me, I should note, however. I was never that big of a fan of BtAS...)

Also. And this is an extremely important thing to note: "serious" does not mean "better" by ANY stretch of the imagination. I would just like to see a little more (but NOT too much!) drama in animation. Balance is key.

Actually, I really feel they just kinda started running out of worth while ideas for the show. And I didn't know they got rid of the dog, but they did bring in the new girl who he's sharing the fairy's with who's apparently perfect.

Star get's more serious as it moves along. It's incremental and it never goes into utterly devoid of humor for more then a few moments, usually while there trying to deal with something immediately life threating or horrific, which is fine cause normally real people won't crack jokes when they think there seconds away from dyeing or found out there people committed genocide for convenience sake either.

I will say that Steven Universe is more character driven, but both of them really need to be watched in order to be properly appreciated. It takes awhile, but once you start seeing the stuff that's not surface layer, it becomes far more engaging.

I can see not being thrilled that there are surviving Jedi, but I feel the need to point out 2 things. 1: It's really the only way you can ever let Darth Vader be involved when he was at his most active, and not have the good guys always loose the minute the camera pans over to him or we hear his voice. And 2: Canonically this should be around the time, by the way it was described before the special editions of the movies came out if I'm recalling it right, were Vader was running around hunting down the Jedi all over the galaxy. So to me it feels like a nod to that.

*Shrug*: Well, he seems to be getting it. And we may well be getting Young Justice Back for at least 1 more season.

I'm trying to think of what else is on the airwaves that's leaning a bit to the serious side of things. I'm certain one of the networks has something. Well, something that isn't an anime.