PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Gestalt character Idea

edwin1993
2016-05-26, 06:39 PM
Ok my dm is going to be running a gestalt game of anywhere between 15-17th lvl he has removed the cap of levels on mystic theurge so was wondering how this looks at a pure caster gestalt psion kineticist x/(wizard 3/archivist3/mystic theurge x) wondering on feat ideas an were allowed any race was thinking gray elf. all feats and books are open.

Rebel7284
2016-05-27, 08:26 AM
More spells does not make a better caster, especially at later levels when you already have a ton of spell slots/power points. You want abilities that are synergistic with your casting and a better chasis - no reason to have a d4 HD in gestalt.

My favorite caster build in gestalt looks something like this at level 15:

(Using wizard variant that trades scribe scroll and metamagic feats for fighter feats)

Wizard 5/Spelldancer 1/Swiftblade 9
//
Factotum 6/Wizard +1/Factotum +2/Wizard +1/Factotum +2/Wizard +1/Factotum +1/Warblade 1

You end up with:
- 3 Standard actions per turn allowing you to actually cast 3 spells.
- Full wizard casting
- Free Metamagic (Persistent Spell on buffs)
- Overcome any SR
- Add your Intelligence bonus to almost everything you do and to initiative twice.
- D8 HD at most levels and 2 good saves.
- Great defensive abilities from Swiftblade, miss chance is great.
- 14 BAB
- A few utility maneuvers, up to 4th level, including a way to replace your weaker fortitude save with an easy concentration check.

Ahus
2016-05-27, 11:18 AM
It all depends on what you want the Character to do.

You can do a lot worse that Archivist 3/Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge X // Psion Y, but I would seriously consider early entry to Mystic Theurge. If retraining is on the table, then there is no cost to start at Wizard 2 / Archivist 1 / Mystic Theurge X+3. Even if it isnt depending on your choice of feat Wizard 2 (or 3) / Archivist 1 / MT X+3 is only a Sanctum Spell of Precotious Apprentice (Archivist) feat away. Sanctum Spell gets a bad rap in a lot of cases as but it is actually a decent feat if you plan on doing any amount of Planar Binding.If your DM lets you cross qualify go Wizard 3/MT X+3 // Archivist 3 / ? x.

Factotum is great and synergies with casters especially once the action economy stuff starts kicking in. In that sense a Psion can out action economy almost anyone at high levels.

If what you want is Psion / Mystic Theurge then go for it...

Theobod
2016-05-27, 04:04 PM
Very few DMs tend to allow a class on both sides of the gestalt (such as in the suggested build that started with wizard on one side and advanced it on the other), however I have yet to meet a DM who didn't allow cross qualifying, so wizard3/theurgeX//Archivist3//psionX nets top possible caster lvl and fastest progression, however you only net 17manifester lvl so practiced manifester in there somewhere would be handy for augmenting, whereas keeping both caster classes on one side requires two practiced spellcaster feats for max CL but excess CL is less interesting than excess ML as often augmenting does more than one thing ;)

edwin1993
2016-05-27, 10:03 PM
Very few DMs tend to allow a class on both sides of the gestalt (such as in the suggested build that started with wizard on one side and advanced it on the other), however I have yet to meet a DM who didn't allow cross qualifying, so wizard3/theurgeX//Archivist3//psionX nets top possible caster lvl and fastest progression, however you only net 17manifester lvl so practiced manifester in there somewhere would be handy for augmenting, whereas keeping both caster classes on one side requires two practiced spellcaster feats for max CL but excess CL is less interesting than excess ML as often augmenting does more than one thing ;)

He doesnt want us too optomized why i didnt go persistent spell route via cleric

frost890
2016-05-28, 12:48 PM
He doesnt want us too optomized why i didnt go persistent spell route via cleric

It is gestalt! It is supposed to be optimized cheese! OK with that out of the way. It is hard to optimize both sides so you are having to pick which side you focus on anyway. If he is afraid of too much power that is easy, just focus on feet and skills that are not combat related. Go after things like perform and play with the RP aspects of the game. Make friends with some of the NPC's. Some of the best times can be hosting a party for the town with some of the gold that you brought back.

You can also take this time to play with some of the less optimization classes that focuses more on fluff then bang. Have you ever liked the details of a class but it would make you less useful? Using the gestalt rules aloes you the chance without falling behind. (Since he doesn't want you to optimize )