PDA

View Full Version : What game to play? Looking for options/opinions as i'm a bit uncertain.

oxybe
2016-05-26, 07:08 PM
So our 5th ed game is officially dead in the water now. We had a side-game of it going for when our regular PF GM can't make it or was too busy to prep something that week, but with that GM leaving for Northern Manitoba as he got a job offer at a practice up there, the spot is being vacated. This is why I didn't game yesterday night. I am a sad Entei.

One of our possible filler GMs is moving to Nova Scotia due to a military contract (yup we're losing 2 players to that whole "being a responsible adult" thing) and the second one being WAY too busy doing that whole "I'm a cook at a restaurant during restaurant season" and ain't got no time for prepping a game, no one has yet to step in to fill in the filler shoes.

Which means I may have to step in and I have no idea what I want to run. I've heard rumors of one player thinking of running Rogue Trader but I dunno if this is something he has planned or just ruminating on.

I would like to run something the group is familiar with... it's our "off" game, so something new would mean spending most of the first session learning the game and then having our momentum likely cut short to end it as we're not sure when we would play that game next, then likely another recap of the rules the next session... blek.

So it would have to be something we're familiar can kind of hit the ground running in little to no setup time.

And this is where I'm kinda stumped.

My game of choice is 4th ed, but I think only one or two other people in the group is familiar with it, so we run into the whole "gotta teach the group" situation with only one or two core books. Not ideal as I'll be GMing for up to 6 people. I could ask around what kind of characters people would like and run pregens though, there is still a bit of a learning curve though.

My other choices would be PF, 5th ed or 2nd ed (yeah, we're that kind of group... D&D is the communal language, and even though we each have our other systems, very few are as universal between us as D&D). Of those 2nd ed is likely first out the window as I simply have not run it in so long (like... double digits... I think I was a teen the last time I did) and I know half the group hasn't ever played it, so there's that annoying "learning curve" thing again.

Then there's PF and 5th, both of which the group is rather familiar with. PF, like 3rd ed, has quite a few bugbears that annoy me that i would need to excise first. I also hesitate to run it as I burnt out from running 3.5 ~10 years ago after a level 12-13 campaign grew too frustrating to prep for. Now, this will be a side-thing starting at about level 3 or 4 so the stress levels would be far less as I'll have both more time to prep between sessions and it likely won't hit those high levels, but will still require some hammering to get the system into a shape I wouldn't mind running.

Then there's 5th which seems like it would be easier to run out of the box, but I cannot get enthused about the system... like, at all. It just doesn't do anything for me, though I know a few of the players are really enthused about it and would likely like to play more of it, given the choice.

Any suggestions on how I should go about this?