PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Nethervault Onmyoji Help

Alistaroc
2016-05-26, 09:31 PM
I'm looking to create a Wizard for a Pathfinder campaign from levels 1-8, using the Onmyoji and Nethervault Wizard archetypes. The general idea is to use Knowledge skills and divination to scout out encounters beforehand, and use downtime to amass a library of scrolls. Any suggestions on spells or Arcane Schools? I'm thinking Scryer for the sensor aspect, but the Teleportation school's swift-action dimension door looks mighty nice too. Also, what are some good items to try and get ASAP?

Gallowglass
2016-05-27, 03:14 PM
Nethervault "Forbidden Lore" replaces your Arcane School.
Onmyoji takes away scribe scroll. (But you can always buy it as a regular feat)

Alistaroc
2016-05-27, 03:26 PM
Nethervault "Forbidden Lore" replaces your Arcane School.
Onmyoji takes away scribe scroll. (But you can always buy it as a regular feat)
Okay, do you think the Nethervault is worth my Arcane school in this build?
And while I could take Scribe Scroll, the 1/day Origami "scroll" is what I mean when I mention amassing a library. It may be a time investment, but it's incredibly cost-efficient, and in this type of campaign where we can have a lot of downtime, it'd be great.

Gallowglass
2016-05-27, 03:47 PM
Okay, do you think the Nethervault is worth my Arcane school in this build?

Oh, good god no. That's gotta be just about the worst trade I've ever seen in an archtype. I mean, that's bad.
I'm pretty sure there is a spell that gives you a bonus to your next knowledge skill roll that equals or exceeds this. And that's one spell.

And while I could take Scribe Scroll, the 1/day Origami "scroll" is what I mean when I mention amassing a library. It may be a time investment, but it's incredibly cost-efficient, and in this type of campaign where we can have a lot of downtime, it'd be great.

Yes.this is spectacular for a lot of reasons.

1> your "scrolls" can only be used by you, even if they are stolen form you (or by another Onmyoji, but how many of those are you going to fight?)
2> the cost of 1st level origamis is double the craft cost as regular scrolls but it QUICKLY get cheap as puck as you go up levels to make scrolls. So cheap I feel like they screwed up when they took out the "caster level" multiplicant.

Spell Level
Standard Scroll creation cost
Origami cost

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

3> using the scroll is a standard action,but unlike normal it doesn't mean reading and writing, so it works even if you are silenced, blinded or otherwise hampered.

I mean, this is awesome-sauce.