PDA

View Full Version : Player Help An All-Paladin Party for Curse of Strahd?

Coidzor
2016-05-27, 01:39 AM
Is it viable and what would be your dream team of a group of 4, 5, or 6 Paladins?

Assuming UA materials were kosher, too, along with any other compatible options WOTC has released.

djreynolds
2016-05-27, 01:51 AM
Is it viable and what would be your dream team of a group of 4, 5, or 6 Paladins?

Assuming UA materials were kosher, too, along with any other compatible options WOTC has released.

Viable and awesome. I'm in CoS now, yeah it could work. Just spread the skills out as there is lots of investigation, and other intelligence skills needed.

Are these straight-up paladins?

Gwendol
2016-05-27, 01:56 AM
Paladins are not very skilled, which may be a hindrance, but maybe one or two can have a skilled retainer? Other than that the 1-10 level of CoS should fit like a glove!
I'd mix up the races a little to take advantage of racial spellcasting abilities (gnomes) or misty step (elan) or dragonborn for the breath weapon.

Coidzor
2016-05-27, 02:22 AM
Viable and awesome. I'm in CoS now, yeah it could work. Just spread the skills out as there is lots of investigation, and other intelligence skills needed.

Are these straight-up paladins?

As in no multiclassing? Preferably, yeah.

In terms of archetypes, more than just the vanilla LG smite machine is welcome.

The skills was one of my number one areas of concern, yeah, wasn't sure how well backgrounds and half casting and race might handle it.

Paladins are not very skilled, which may be a hindrance, but maybe one or two can have a skilled retainer? Other than that the 1-10 level of CoS should fit like a glove!
I'd mix up the races a little to take advantage of racial spellcasting abilities (gnomes) or misty step (elan) or dragonborn for the breath weapon.

Any particular race combinations that come to mind?

Gastronomie
2016-05-27, 02:26 AM
If Multiclassing into other stuff is fine, stuff like Rogue/Paladin, Bard/Paladin, and Sorcerer/Paladin could open up even more possibilities, but given the campaign is about fighting a Vampire, pure Paladin might be fun as well (just do consider the fact that with their nova power, a group of Paladins can probably take out most bosses in a round unless their resources are already pretty depleted).

brainface
2016-05-27, 02:36 AM
High elf and sage background can get you a very wizardy bookish paladin without any multiclassing. The stats might be a little strained, but clearly this isn't an optimized party, this is the dirty dozen paladins.

You need a least one gnome/halfling too, because of course you do.

I'd focus a lot on backgrounds and what they're bringing to the table over the mechanics differences (which really won't be too much). Criminal, Sage, Hermit, Outlander all bring neat tropes into play.

djreynolds
2016-05-27, 02:43 AM
As in no multiclassing? Preferably, yeah.

In terms of archetypes, more than just the vanilla LG smite machine is welcome.

The skills was one of my number one areas of concern, yeah, wasn't sure how well backgrounds and half casting and race might handle it.

This is actually cool. I would make them paladins of Lathander, as his name comes up a bunch.

If one paladin takes soldier, he has intimidation covered. One paladin take sage and he has arcana/history covered. A dwarf paladin get basically expertise in stonework/history. Who cares about stealth, when you have 5 bad***es in plate.

Just cover social skills. The Oath of Ancients take the outlander, the Oath of Vengeance could take guild artisan, etc

You wanna hear something crazy, we have a rotating party of upwards of 7 PCs at a time, DM now has gray hair... Not a paladin among them. Now I'm a life cleric, I want a paladin to chum around with. No one rolls a paladin. You're fighting undead and vampires... no paladins.

brainface
2016-05-27, 02:54 AM
For gigglies:

The Librarian:
High-elf sage, ancients
FIghts evil by shining the burning light of knowledge and understanding upon it.
Having decent intelligence and taking ritual caster as soon as possible.

The Beggar Knight:
Half-orc criminal, vengeance
Provides justice for beggars, paupers and prostitutes--those too poor for anyone else to care about and overlooked by the watch.

The Wee Green Man:
Forest gnome outlander, ancients
Preaches to squirrels.

The Veteran:
Human hermit, devotion
Taking some character defining feat at level 1--inspiring leader, magic initiate, mage slayer, etc.
Came out of retirement, knows too much.

I'd make them all from different religions, or different orders of the same religion, just so you have a very diverse party, but keeping them all following the same god/church would definitely be more cohesive.

Gwendol
2016-05-27, 04:36 AM

Sure. Dragonborn Oath of the Crown paladin with the tunnel-fighter style. Picking up Polearm master (or Sentinel).

Pair him with a dwarf or orc paladin of vengeance with the protection style.

The second pair of paladins being a vhuman paladin of devotion (likely picking up ritual caster or magic initiate) and a gnome paladin of the ancients (mounted combatant).

Oramac
2016-05-27, 09:50 AM
If you can somehow convince your DM to let Aura of Protection stack, the group would be downright broken as ****.

Otherwise, it would still be a lot of fun. I'd definitely enjoy giving it a go.

You'll probably want one of each Archetype for the free Oath spells, and you have tons of free healing with Lay on Hands.

Santra
2016-05-27, 10:33 AM
If you can somehow convince your DM to let Aura of Protection stack, the group would be downright broken as ****.

Otherwise, it would still be a lot of fun. I'd definitely enjoy giving it a go.

You'll probably want one of each Archetype for the free Oath spells, and you have tons of free healing with Lay on Hands.

Well according to JC they stack by RAW.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/18/does-paladins-aura-of-protection-stack/

As for skills I wouldn't worry much. Half elves are an amazing paladin race and give two free skills.

Temperjoke
2016-05-27, 11:08 AM
Reminds me of The Elenium book series by Eddings, group of Paladins with representatives from 4 church orders go on a quest. Of course, what made it work was all the knights had specializations and powers outside the normal line for their order, like languages spoken, one knew necromancy, another was an expert on military tactics.

I'd allow them feats like Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate to help them smooth out some of the skill gaps. I mean, they're going to be missing a lot of basic magical utility otherwise.

Slipperychicken
2016-05-27, 11:24 AM

Maybe you could make them all noble(knight), so they have 12 guys following them around, four of whom are squires? Between those guys and a quartet of Find Steeds, they'll never need to worry about encumbrance, and as a group they'll have a hard time failing perception DCs under 20, since they'll have 12 NPCs, 4 PCs, and 4 horses all rolling for it.

Edit: And if PCs can customize proficiencies on retainers and squires, they could actually cover quite a few skills and tools, even if their total skill modifiers are amateurish.

Oramac
2016-05-27, 11:27 AM
Well according to JC they stack by RAW.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/18/does-paladins-aura-of-protection-stack/

As for skills I wouldn't worry much. Half elves are an amazing paladin race and give two free skills.

Well I'll be damned. Good deal. So basically a group of 5 Paladins should never fail a saving throw.

Gwendol
2016-05-27, 12:31 PM
Well I'll be damned. Good deal. So basically a group of 5 Paladins should never fail a saving throw.

That's a shaky ruling... Lot's of things on 5e don't stack.

Oramac
2016-05-27, 12:43 PM
That's a shaky ruling... Lot's of things on 5e don't stack.

I agree. And I certainly wouldn't argue too hard if the DM decided they don't stack. But when a Dev says they do, I'd generally go with that.

It would be a little silly though. Assuming a 16 cha for everyone in the party, bumping it to 18 at 4th level, that means that by 6th level (when you get the Aura) everyone has a +20 to their saves as long as they're within 10 feet of each other.

Sounds like Fireball bait, but it would still be half damage because of crazy good saves.

Coidzor
2016-05-28, 02:48 AM
Alas, it seems the All Paladin Party is not to be in my case. The DM was especially amused by The Wee Green Man, though.

Now to decide what goes with a Tiefling Paladin and some kind of Wizard.

Ahh, good point. I keep forgetting how much nicer Half Elves are in this one.

I agree. And I certainly wouldn't argue too hard if the DM decided they don't stack. But when a Dev says they do, I'd generally go with that.

It would be a little silly though. Assuming a 16 cha for everyone in the party, bumping it to 18 at 4th level, that means that by 6th level (when you get the Aura) everyone has a +20 to their saves as long as they're within 10 feet of each other.

Sounds like Fireball bait, but it would still be half damage because of crazy good saves.

Great. Googly. Moogly. :smalleek:

Maybe you could make them all noble(knight), so they have 12 guys following them around, four of whom are squires? Between those guys and a quartet of Find Steeds, they'll never need to worry about encumbrance, and as a group they'll have a hard time failing perception DCs under 20, since they'll have 12 NPCs, 4 PCs, and 4 horses all rolling for it.

Edit: And if PCs can customize proficiencies on retainers and squires, they could actually cover quite a few skills and tools, even if their total skill modifiers are amateurish.

Hmm, that's a very fun idea. :smallamused:

Steampunkette
2016-05-28, 03:29 AM
Half Elf Oath of Devotion Paladin with the Criminal Background. Perception, Investigation, and Thieves Tools. Growing up in the wrong crowd she joined the church when she heard the call but still uses her skills to help those in need. The +2 to Charisma helps fuel the auras and healing.

Half Orc Oath of Vengeance Paladin with the Soldier Background. Athletics, Riding, and Weapons. Big weapons and crushed enemies underneath her boot as she rushes across the battlefield filled with Smites and Violence, as she's done the whole of her life!

Dwarven Oath of Ancients Paladin with the Wanderer Background. Nature, Survival, and Medicine. Growing up in the forests, a member of a banished clan doomed to wander the upside, she came to know Druids and their magic. Armed with Shield and Hammer she serves as the Party's front line of defense!

Tiefling Oathbreaker Paladin with the Noble Background. Diplomacy and Intimidation. Once the noble scion of a powerful house and servant of the Light she learned, too late, of the cruel trick her family had performed, ages ago, to come into power. On her 18th birthday she was twisted into a Tiefling and fell from grace.

VHuman Oath of the Crown Paladin with the Folk Hero Background. Close friend to the Dwarven Paladin, the Oath of the Crown Pally spends her time being the hero that everyone thinks she is. Taking strikes meant to kill her comrades, holding enemies in place with her power, and turning the tide when things look bleak.

Strahd and his minions wouldn't stand a chance.

Boris4lumis
2016-05-30, 12:15 PM
Dwarven Oath of Ancients Paladin with the Wanderer Background. Nature, Survival, and Medicine. Growing up in the forests, a member of a banished clan doomed to wander the upside, she came to know Druids and their magic. Armed with Shield and Hammer she serves as the Party's front line of defense!

VHuman Oath of the Crown Paladin with the Folk Hero Background. Close friend to the Dwarven Paladin, the Oath of the Crown Pally spends her time being the hero that everyone thinks she is. Taking strikes meant to kill her comrades, holding enemies in place with her power, and turning the tide when things look bleak.

At level 4, what feats / ASI do these two take please?

Slipperychicken
2016-05-30, 12:40 PM
Having six people with Find Steed could be pretty nice. You have six paladins all doing their thing dismounted, while their six steeds all charge and stomp and trample at their side. It could get kinda cramped in a dungeon, so you might want some of the paladins to pack reach weapons.

Specter
2016-05-30, 02:10 PM
Considering 4 players:

- Devotion Paladin: probably the leader, and the DPR with Great Weapon Master.
- Crown Paladin/Bard: One level for Inspiration is massive. The party face.
- Vengeance Paladin/Rogue: One level for Expertise (possibly Perception and Insight), Thieves' Tools and Sneak Attack. Cunning Action and Assassinate may be viable if going for a DEX build.
- Ancients Paladin/Sorcerer: Two levels in Paladin, the rest in Sorcerer for massive smiting. Picking up Ritual Caster makes for a nice utility, a great hole in a group like this.

Steampunkette
2016-05-30, 07:34 PM
At level 4, what feats / ASI do these two take please?

Ancients goes for Heavy Armor Mastery. DR might not be much but it's hundreds of HP over the course of a game!

Crown goes for Sentinel to lock stuff down close to the Ancients Pally as they lock shields with each other.

Gwendol
2016-05-31, 02:58 AM
Don't forget to pick up tunnel fighter for the crown paladin!

Boris4lumis
2016-05-31, 10:17 AM
What should the other two take?
My experience is that as a paladin in CoS, I am targeted quite a lot and have twice been possessed. This doesn't help my mates much, so I am loathe to take a feat which makes it more likely my mates will die. Finally, I am role playing!
What feat would make a tank happy?

Lonesomechunk44
2016-05-31, 02:50 PM
If each paladin takes a different oath and follows a different god or belief. Than it can be very interesting form a role-playing standpoint and from a gameplay standpoint. Gameplay-wise, you should be able to survive just fine, especially in a campaign against enemies susceptible to radiant dmg. It just might get a little boring, with the whole entire group being able to cast similar spells and fulfill similar roles in the party.
But yeah, imo, its totally viable